Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

25-2 45acp revolver 1982,5 gal can 150yd hit 1st shot,2nd shot hit hi and rolled it 3rd shot hit hi and rolled it again..

while deer hunting a fox came walking by,missed the 1st shot @about 35yds and hit him on the 2nd shot @65 yds..scoped 586 S&W 158gr JHP..

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next time I go to my favorite range outside of vegas there are steel plates out to 600 yards. I'll give those a shot :D (or probably hundreds of shots)

Now that's ambitious! I've tried a few hundred rounds at just over 500 yards in soft dirt where I can spot my shots and had no luck making the steel sing. Got close enough for ooohs and aaahs but ultimately no joy. Good luck though!

shooting multiple magazines at things just seems a bit odd to me, if it's not somewhat repeatable it's kind of pointless. basically chance and luck.

I've shot a few distance shots with my pistol in time. one being on the clock the 200 yard IPSC target meant for a rifle.. ran out of rifle ammo and shot it with my beretta. the 150 yard pepper poppers used to be a standard when i shot a lot it's a bit far for a handgun. but you EXPECTED to hit it every time. and most of the time it was hit.

50 yard plinking at pop cans with an NAA mini is just a fun waste of time. .. again it was pointless, but it's fun. and we hit it quite often surprisingly.

shooting multiple magazines at things just seems a bit odd to me, if it's not somewhat repeatable it's kind of pointless. basically chance and luck.

I've shot a few distance shots with my pistol in time. one being on the clock the 200 yard IPSC target meant for a rifle.. ran out of rifle ammo and shot it with my beretta. the 150 yard pepper poppers used to be a standard when i shot a lot it's a bit far for a handgun. but you EXPECTED to hit it every time. and most of the time it was hit.

50 yard plinking at pop cans with an NAA mini is just a fun waste of time. .. again it was pointless, but it's fun. and we hit it quite often surprisingly.

Odd? I suppose that's one way to put it. It was so hard to stop though! After seeing the puffs of dirt walking closer and closer to the steel was addictive. Waste of ammo that could have been used more constructively? Absolutely. It was fun to try though.

884 lazered yards according to the leica. s&w mod 57 8" 41 mag 215 gr swc & 19 grs 2400 @ a bouy in the mississippi river. took 2 cylinder fulls to walk them in. by that time i was aiming 1/2 way up a tree on the opposite bank. hit it twice with the 3rd cylinder full. 1/2" dents @ that range!

• 2 months later...

Once I had some friends shooting with my guns and struggling to hit a 8" plate at 100 meters with an AR-15... I took my 9mm and put one round in the magazine, chambered it and while saying something like "oh come on, it's not that hard" squeezed the trigger and hit the plate. One of those lucky hits that silenced the crowd and dropped some jaws :)

Come to think of it, that wasn't even the furthest pistol shot I've made. It was at a pepper popper from a 150 metes away with a CZ Kadet .22. After a practice session with a friend, I challenged him to shoot the popper at 75m and we ended up at the range limit of 150m after a while. At 100m we could still hit maybe 8/10. Challenging yourself to try the "impossible" is fun! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

A coyote at app120 with a Glock 27. one shot. Two witnesses.

Another at 306 ranged yards with a scoped T/C 10" hornet.

Piece of red iron about 12" square at 200 with a 45 Trojan. Hit it 3 times out of the first magazine with one witness. Then spent 6-8 more mags and never hit it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I once got an 8", 5 shot-group at 200 measured yds, firing a 1911 with 185 gr Remington swc match ammo, from a Lee machine rest. :-) A friend went down range, took cover behind a big tree, off to one side, and yelled the necessary corrections at me, until I got the shots into the A zone, then I printed the group. The same gear had just printed a 2.5", 3 shot group at 100 yds. It was an old Army frame, with a NM slide group. 1973.

A few weeks back rangerguy and myself were practicing and we decided we would hit the rifle range with our pistols for fun. At 175 yards I asked him if he saw a dirt clump about the size of a softball on the right edge of the berm. While he was looking he bagan to say he saw it as I was letting a shot go, it smashed the dirt clump. He looks at me and says "yeah that dirt clump" ;)

I've hit 40 out of 40 in Big Bore Metallic Silhouette 2 times over several years shooting a 629 double action, 300 grain XTP bullets. I have a video of 39 out of 40, but it's borrring. I was trying to get under 1 minute total shooting time. My best time was 1 minute, 24 seconds to knock down 40 targets.

I will say I have seen Warren do this! Tried to spot for him at one match and he was hitting the fifth ram before I could spot where the bullet hit on the second one. Always a pleasure watching Warren shoot long range stuff like this.

For me, my longest with a pistol was at the 2010 KS Sectional. Hickcock Standard, two shots in four seconds from the draw at 75 yards for the first string. I had never shot the gun past 25 yards and even at that it was zeroed for indoors at 13 yards. I got both shots off in the time, one C and one M if I remember right. Hey, I at least got one hit in that time. lol I would like to try it again but without the clock. lol

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

15 x 10 double bullseye paper target at 100. I was done with the AR for the day and the last target didn't see much action so rather than make the walk during a cease fire loaded my Glock 34, did some rough calculations and started lobbing 147 9mm at it. I shot one mag (17 +1) and it was hard to tell with the spotting scope but when I brought it in the 9mm was easy to tell from the 5.56 - I had 8 hits, They were all over the friggin target but that was my 1st attempt at a long pistol shot. If I had some open property I'd do more and try farther - maybe mount a red dot on a 9 or 40 for giggles!

I was teaching an Advanced Skills class for a group of Army MPs. I ask "What's the maximum effective range of the M-9 handgun?". The answer was a resounding "50 meters, Sir!". I got a pistol from a student, loaded it, and hit a Popper at 150 yards on the first shot. Made a positive impression, because I was having a hard time getting them to hit anything at 25. By the end of the class, most everyone had put a few rounds on the long Popper. After doing that, 25 yards looks easy. I now do that with all of my classes. We start at "stupid distance".

Back when the Glock 27 first came out, I got one and Cathy Schroeder (then of the FBI Academy) got one. A few weeks later, I get a call from Glock saying "Hey, do you know Cathy Schroeder from Quantico?". I said "Yeah". "Well, she's doing 125 yard shots with HER 27.". I graciously said "That's nice." and dropped the subject.

As soon as I hung up the phone, I left work and drove out to the range. I had chrono'ed some Cor-Bon 135 previously, so I input that data into the Sierra Infinity ballistics software. It said that I was looking at a 43" drop at 200 yards. I loaded the gun and found a rock on the back berm that appeared to be the appropriate distance above the A-Zone. When I fired the first shot, I asked for a spot from a buddy. He said, "You hit the rock.". I dropped the front sight down to the C-Zone between the A and the head. Fired 3 shots. One A and two C's.

I immediately called my buddy at Glock, thinking that I'd yank his chain. I said, "Hey, you know Bruce Braxton from College Park? Well, he's doing 200 yard shots with HIS 27.". The response: "That's EXACTLY why I called you!". Some people know me better than myself...

Edited by Braxton1

• 3 weeks later...

197 yards at the Paul Bunyon Range in WA state. The target was a 12 inch disc. It was a few weeks ago after the WA state IDPA match. 5 of us had a last man standing contest, we all hit it within about 10-15 shots. I got lucky and hit it 2 times w/i 4 shots. Gun was a 1911, 45 ACP, 170 pf.

Edited by Sac Law Man