Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

Back in the mid '80's I had a TC Contender, .243, 14" barrel, scoped. There was some ranch land I had permission to practice on that had a 900+ meter straight section of an arroyo that was great for rifle practice. I could hit 5 for 5 in a 12" circle at 400 meters back then.

I sold that barrel for several reasons. It was _terribly_ loud. It hurt to shoot it even with the pachmayr grips (that's why no 10 shot groups). And lastly, it was a flame thrower. I started a grass fire with that gun one time that almost got out of control. Grass fires in west Texas ranch country are NO fun.

It was a tack driver, but overall I don't miss it all that much.

-Steve

I, personally, put the TC Contender and Remington XP in a category . . . "one handed rifles".

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There used to be a gong on the hill at San Bernardino County Sherrfis Training Center, I believe it was 275 yards, I was nailing it in 1.7 seconds, from the holster. Granted, he was already reading the timer by the time we heard the strike.....

• 2 weeks later...

Being illegal to shoot on anything but an officially constituted pistol range in this country, there would usually be no longer shots available than 50m. One comp was held where one of the stages was built on a rimfire silhouette range,, longest IPSC Classic target was set about 70m from the shoot box. No practice of course, so had to hit it during the comp...and plenty ranked higher grades didn't lol

Edited by zhuk

In a match ? 70 yards- 5 shots to a torso steel target for a 30 second bonus. I would have had a better time had I not engaged it :( .

I like bonus targets, gives you the opportunity to add a little risk v/ reward to a stage, unfortunately, for me, most of the time it winds up kicking my in the pants. Fun though.

Was this for ipsc/uspsa or some other sort of competition? The only time I see that sort of thing is for 3-gun. And then is usually an obscured pesky popper at 100yd or further

Edited by Akkid17

I like bonus targets, gives you the opportunity to add a little risk v/ reward to a stage, unfortunately, for me, most of the time it winds up kicking my in the pants. Fun though.

Was this for ipsc/uspsa or some other sort of competition? The only time I see that sort of thing is for 3-gun. And then is usually an obscured pesky popper at 100yd or further

It was a local 3gun match but I think it was 3gun Nation rules.

Ugh. I just can't help myself. I'm getting better at "playing the game" so to speak, but I'm sure I'll max out the timer on a 400 yard steel target with iron sights next time that comes up. Screw time- I want to hit everything!

I was wrapping up shooting with a friend and managed to hit a bullseye at his either 50 or 75? yard target with my last round of .45. Pure luck on the high hold I gave it as well as everything else. Maybe those cast missouri LSWC's are just that good?

Edited by feederic

• 1 month later...

200 yards with a scoped Contender off a rest and rang a small rectangular steel plate...

100 meters with a Ruger Mk II 10" bull barrel and open sights shooting at the NRA Small Bore Silhoutte ram; best I've done in an actual match was six out of ten rams (back when I could see better)

Being illegal to shoot on anything but an officially constituted pistol range in this country, there would usually be no longer shots available than 50m. One comp was held where one of the stages was built on a rimfire silhouette range,, longest IPSC Classic target was set about 70m from the shoot box. No practice of course, so had to hit it during the comp...and plenty ranked higher grades didn't lol

there are a bunch of clubs in this state with ranges longer than that. Plenty of places shoot metallic silhouette out to 100m or 200m. there are ranges where you can apparently try your luck out to a whopping 800m not that I think anyone would bother trying to shoot that far with anything that substantially resembled a pistol... but getting some pistol shots in at 100m or 200m is no problem if you're keen. sure we'd not get anything like that in an IPSC match but I don't think that's what this thread is about.

anyway, my best is nothing flash but was just a couple meters short of 100 meters. 2 shots trying to figure out the hold over, 5 shots on target with a very generous spread. using a smith 1911. I was pretty stoked at the time. Had shot very little pistol at that point. since then I would rarely shoot anything beyond 50m but will get into some metallic silhouette soon which will no doubt see me get disappointed at a whole new level!. :)

According to the MGM Ironman stage layouts I have to make a 140 yard shot with my 9mm.

That'll be a new experience for sure. I'm calculating about a 18 inch hold over at that distance?

Edited by TVpresspass

Nice, I'd love to go to the ironman someday. Pretty sweet challenge to have a 140 yd target on the clock. I bet there'll a few people sweating that on. I can do it off the clock but buzzer frenzy might make it a little rough. Good luck bud!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...