furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

friends bachelor party we setup an 800 yard man size target.

We had a few rifles we had some fun shooting range with.

For fun I tried my gov .45 acp. Took me 2 mags to walk shots in.

Gotta love a dusty desert range!

You must have used the moon as your aiming point. :cheers:

(are you allowed to use "Bachelor Party" and "shots" in the same paragraph about shooting guns?? :devil: )

Edited by mpeltier

Love that video with the distinctive clank @ 200+ yds. We had 50 yd. PP's and USP poppers at a local match a couple yrs. back. What fun watching guys go thru thier loaded mags. Stage drama, one guy shot it great, everyone else shot fast trying to match and created plenty of laughs in attempting keep up.

Ahh, the post that started it all...

we set a popper up at 352 yards (measured with a bushnell rangefinder). i believe the popper was 10". the dirt was dry and loose so you could see bullet impact and adjust accordingly. there were four of us there and i was the only person who said that my friend would hit the popper in less than 3 magazines. he was shooting a wilson 1911 with 8rnd mags. long story short he hit the popper in less than the prescribed 3 magazines. he did this twice. the second time he did it within the next two mags. ...

The lucky idiot who did it was the me. Even a blind squriel finds a nut! :D

LOL 352 yards with a .45 1911? Now you are shooting a pistol like a mortar!!!!!! The bullet was under powered flight half of the way there and then just fell back to earth.

My avatar is the pistol. PDT_kar.gif

I can hit a 10 steel plate 5 out of 6 times or better (regularly) with my single six at 100 yards. 10 inch steel plate that is! (off a rest)

:cheers:

we set a popper up at 352 yards (measured with a bushnell rangefinder). i believe the popper was 10". the dirt was dry and loose so you could see bullet impact and adjust accordingly. there were four of us there and i was the only person who said that my friend would hit the popper in less than 3 magazines. he was shooting a wilson 1911 with 8rnd mags. long story short he hit the popper in less than the prescribed 3 magazines. he did this twice. the second time he did it within the next two mags. ...

LOL 352 yards with a .45 1911? Now you are shooting a pistol like a mortar!!!!!! The bullet was under powered flight half of the way there and then just fell back to earth.

I can hit a 10 steel plate 5 out of 6 times or better (regularly) with my single six at 100 yards. 10 inch steel plate that is! (off a rest)

Welcome to the forum buddy!

Welcome to the forum buddy!

Glad to be here!

I had a Taurus 38 snub nose, it was one of the most accurate revolvers I ever owned. I painted the front ramp 1/2 red and the other white and could easily lob 158 slugs into coffee cans at 150 yards with relative ease. 200 yards was challenging but made for a fun afternoon while conversing the finer points of the last week’s heroics with a buddy...

• 2 weeks later...

Out hunting deer in South GA somewhere around 1975. On the walk back to the truck, we crossed a small dam.

Down the lake, off in the distance, there was a tree that had fallen hanging over the water with a 3 ft limb sticking straight up.

The limb was about 3 inches wide. I told by buddy... Hey watch this!

I pulled out my 6" Colt Python and fired a shot at it. I had time enough to say "guess I missed" when the limb exploded at the base and fell into the water.

We looked at each other in disbelief. :surprise:

We guessed the tree was at 350-400 yards.

I had held on the top of the limb, the bullet was a 158g Remington factory hollow point load. Bullet drop was around 2 1/2+ feet...

I didn't try a second shot.

While I was an Instructor at USMC Scout Sniper School, I used to show my students about trigger control by shooting a Beretta 92F at 20" plates at ranges of 270y-300y. The front site is so big that it covers the whole target, so trigger control is the absolute key... We would hit about 70% on a good day...

Edited by mra8541

196 yards with a Smith and Wesson 625JM 4" with 165PF handloads. A buddy and I were shooting plates at 35 yds on the rifle range after a day of zeroing out to 600 yds. The phrase I wonder if I can....came up and two shots later a light tink came off a round plate I'd guess was 12" diameter at 196yds 12 feet forward of the silouhette 200 line. Revolver was a tuned DAO with XS 24/7 std dot. Needless to say we were both amazed.

• 2 weeks later...

this thread got me curious. went out and shot a brick of .22's at 8" steel plate at 100 and IPSC steel target at 200 yards. 100 yards is POA and once you figure the holdover on 200, it's a hoot. here's a pic taken from 100 yards with the cell phone, for kicks and giggles. I really like my buddy's gun...

post-16271-064931100 1299118819_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First year as an LEO was at the range with several other officers and were getting ready to head to the PD as our shift was to start in a couple of hours. One of the LEO's said he had a $20 bill if anyone could hit the rebar from the 50 yard line. In one corner of the steel backstop there were some pieces 3/8 re-bar someone had hung up to put spinning targets on. We told him to put his money on the table which he did. We had been at the range for couple of hours and I had shot over 100 rds of 158 gr reloads thru my PD issue S&W Model 15. I asked if I had to stand or sit and he said I could sit. Sat down and rested the Model 15 on my old AWOL bag I could just make out the re-bar and took my first shot and to our surprize the piece of re-bar moved. I moved really fast and got that $20 in my hand. The guy said I missed and the movement was the slug hitting the backstop. We walked down and sure enough the re-bar had a lead mark where the 158gr SWC hit. The next week we were back at the range I shot over 50 times at the same rebar and never hit it again. Luck maybe so but the $20 came in handy...

I shot 300 yds. 24" steel gong with a 10mm Delta Elite built up by Dan Sierpina , when a guy with an AR said I was screwed if someone was more than 100 yds away,. 8 of 10 rounds later and his tune changed...

best shot I ever saw however was Fred Wilson at the Bass Rover range in Yarmouth Mass. an 85 yd. popper shot 1 round from a S&W 469 9mm as he jogged from one shooting box to the second popper was considered a "bonus"

made a few of us wonder why we spent all that money on open guns

John