Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will they ever do away with major/minor for Limited?

FlashAndPoof

I'm a big fan of 9mm and most of my handguns are all 9mm. Been saving up for a 2011 and am leaning towards getting it in 9mm as well. Haven't started Limited shooting yet, and I know .40 is the favorite due to the scoring. Think they'll ever consider getting rid of major/minor for Limited? Or at least including 9mm into the major category?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: Not going to happen. 9mm will always be minor for Limited and scored that way. 40 can be shot major or minor with the scoring as major or minor. Major 9mm out of a limited gun is not much fun to shoot. 40 is softer, plus it has bigger holes. Thanks, Eric

Originally, back in the 70's, .45's ruled and "they" didn't want to allow 13 shot Browning Hi-Powers

in 9mm to compete evenly with the 8 shot 1911 .45's.  That would give the 9mm's a big advantage.

So, they  invented  Minor and Major   ...

With +p JHP's, 9mm is now as effective as .45's, but they still consider 9mm to be Minor ...

One day, reason may prevail, and realize that a 9mm at PF 150 is just as effective as a .45,

at PF 165,

and the "Reason" for Minor/Major will disappear.    :) 

(This is my opinion - feel free to agree or disagree).   

Best I can tell the board makes gun rules based on, what they believe the majority wants and what will effect cash flow from membership dues and manufacturer support. 

If you can make a case that has majority support, they certainly have been willing to flex the rules in the recent past. 

I think it would be fun to look at round limits for major that would make 9mm a viable option and make .40 mags a lot cheaper. Something like 15 maybe versus whatever you can fit for minor. I have no illusion that this idea would be accepted though. 

Somebody is always coming up with a "need" to change rules or Division requirements to allow them to play with equipment that isn't allowed or gain some imagined advantage.  But we do have at least 4 Divisions where you can play with 9mm.  

And arguing that 9mm +P should be major is like saying that .40 at 155 should be "major".  No, load it to 165 like the rest of us.  (It's already been dropped from 175, and that was for safety.)

Unlikely.  It creates an interesting dynamic in the game.  And there is a significant difference in the recoil control required for 125PF versus 165PF.  

Also, Limited is the single most popular division in USPSA.  That means: 1) the powers should be very hesitant to mess with it and 2) there are thousands and thousands of shooters who have invested in their current gear.  Scoring 9mm and .40 the same in limited would immediately render all the .40-cal blasters obsolete and non-competitive (due to capacity).  There would be a revolt. 

Not.  Gonna.  Happen.  

Edited by ATLDave
Added 2nd and 3rd ¶s.

I don't think they'll ever change it, but that shouldn't keep you from shooting whatever you want.  I know a couple of guys who are pretty competitive shooting Limited Minor, but they realize the limitations they are placing on themselves if they start dropping shots out of the A zone.  Then again, I know a guy who just built himself a Limited gun in .45 simply because he wanted to jump from SS to Limited but didn't want to have to load two calibers.  Unless you're set on going after the top shooters, do what makes you happy.

On 11/8/2016 at 6:06 PM, Dr Mitch said:

Major should be rewarded with more points.  Period. More difficulty, more points.

By that way of thinking, Production shooters (instead of being scored Minor), should receive more points per shot than Open shooters.

Major/Minor isn't based on difficulty.

I'm thinking people didn't get what I meant.

The prior poster said that Major/Minor was based on difficulty.  If that were true, scoring would be very different.   It isn't true, and never has been.

Yes, I'm aware that Production and Open are different divisions.   And yes, Dr. Mitch, I understand Open just fine.

Point being:  If scoring was based on difficulty, we'd have a completely different set of criteria.  We don't, because Minor/Major has nothing to do with difficulty, it has to do with the power of the gun.

Now, whether or not that "power" actually has relevance to anything in the real world is a different topic.  However, that doesn't change the fact that saying Major/Minor is based on difficulty isn't true.

The rule is there for a good reason and there is zero reason to change it.  In Limited I shoot 172PF for major.  For steel, plates and pins I shoot 144PF.  I could go lower, but I'd have to change recoil springs.  There is a noticeable difference in recoil, muzzle flip and recovery.   I'm faster with the 144.  Scoring 9mm minor loads major is insanity, and would be patently unfair.  Plus the 9mm wimps get a boost in capacity, another advantage.  The notion that "stopping power" has anything to do with this is daft.