Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in 9mm

Loudgp

Looking for another 1911. In 9mm. Any suggestions. I have kimbers in .45 but open to others. Want a 4.25 or 5" thanks guys. Somewhere around 1k or less. If you know someone .... Lmk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a range officer last summer probably 8k round through it and it's been perfect. It's an honest 1.5" gun at 25 yds. No malfunctions at all. Trigger was heavy but a $9 cylinder and slide 3 leaf spring got me a passable 3.5lb trigger.

A $1500 DW PM9 is well above your budget. The $1200 Trojan is as well. The $700 RO is the best bang for the buck under 1K, Put $500 in the (forged) RO and it has the potential to be a better gun than the (cast) Trojan.

i am skeptical about budget guns. If you actually shoot, you'll be spending $100+/month on ammo even if you reload, so why draw an imaginary budget number under $1k? I have no experience with springfield, but I have an STI 9mm and and STI 45 and a dan wesson 9mm and a SIG 45. If I had to buy another 9mm tomorrow, I would buy either a dw pm9 or an sti trojan and feel pretty good about it, but that's because those are two brands I have experience with. I actually like the pm9 better, and I think the slide stop and extractor are higher quality and less in need of immediate replacement.

I've got nothing against an STI... in fact I'd love to own one one day. That said, the different in someone buying a budget gun and getting several extra months of shooting in vs. saving more (and longer) for a higher priced gun that - at best - will provide a marginal difference to a beginner doesn't make sense.

I'm not suggesting starting with a $300, sandpaper-grit-feel-slide-and-trigger 1911 made of pot metal. Nobody here suggested that, though. The lowest cost suggestion has been a used gun or a new RIA (of which the quality is very high at the moment) with most suggestions sitting around the Springfield Range Officer.

I personally shoot a Para 1911 in .45ACP in Single Stack and it's at LEAST as accurate as I am - in other words the quality of that gun isn't my limiting factor. I'll be shooting my SRO 9mm when it comes in and even with the tradeoff for minor I expect to be able to push a few things harder/faster given the reduced recoil and it will DIRECTLY translate to shooting major on the same platform.

Remember, for some, every $100 less they spend on a gun is that many more local match fees or boxes of ammo.

I love my Sig Tacops. It was my first new 1911 and has treated me well for a long time. I build 1911s and I have a different perspective than many. In another life I was a tool and die maker, so I have a definite appreciation of precision and close tolerances. I also know what that means. If any of you grew up as motor heads, you know what blueprinting an engine means, and why it improves performance. The same is true for guns.

Many have suggested a Trojan over the RO or Loaded. I'm not knocking Trojans, but IMO they are overpriced for what you get. Yes, many of them are fit well and function perfectly, notwithstanding a couple of newer 9mm guns that were very definitely Monday morning guns. The problem I have with the Trojans is STI doesn't hold their tolerances well. So when you are the assembler sitting in front of big parts bins you can pick and choose parts that fit and assemble a gun that will work well. The problem comes when you have to change out parts, and that is pretty often with some of the MIM parts they use. I'll give you an example.

One friend has a newer 9mm Trojan that he shoots fairly often. His slide stop broke. He called STI and they sent him a new one. It would not go in the gun. He asked me for help. I looked at the new slide stop. The pin was .199", the holes in the barrel were wide enough to accept, but the lower barrel lugs were blocking entry. The next longer barrel link would have been too long, otherwise I'd have changed it for him. I advised him to send it back to STI for warranty repair. He did and got it back 3 weeks later. He asked me to look at it. I did and was surprised. They "fixed" the issue by sanding down one side of the slide stop pin. Yuck.

Now take the Springfield Armory RO and Loaded. There are a slew of them at the club, and they all run. I'm not suggesting there are not a few problematic ROs out there. There may be, but I haven't seen one. Here is what you get with an RO or a Loaded. You get a forged frame and slide that are well fitted. You get a match barrel that is properly fitted and amazingly accurate. Those three parts are the heart of your pistol, and if you liked the aesthetics you could build a semi-custom gun on those three parts. Yes, they also use some MIM parts. Yes they come with a crappy trigger pull. The difference is they are easy to work on. Tolerances were held tight. If and when the MIM parts break, you can replace them with billet and they will fit. You can fix the trigger pull for $15. If you start with good bones you are way ahead of the game.

I'll give you another example of what holding spec and tight tolerances mean, or doesn't. I own a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. It was specifically designed for IPSC and runs right out of the box. It is phenomenally accurate and has a 2lb trigger pull. Add another mag and extended base pads and you are ready to roll in Limited for $1500. I liked the ones my buddies were shooting and they didn't have to do a thing to them. It was also half the price of a 2011 Limited gun. So I bought one, because I didn't have the time to build myself a 2011. I shot it for two years. I love it.

Now for the bad part. When I first received the pistol and stripped it for cleaning, I was aghast at the quality of the internal machining. Tooling marks all over and rough surfaces. I though about sending it back. I went to look at a couple of friends guns and they were similar. Some better; some the same. So I decided to keep it. About 700 rounds later it was broken in and smoother. I've shot it in many competitions over the past two year without a single hiccup. It runs flawlessly.

Well, I had some time on my hands and decided to "upgrade" the pistol and clean up the insides a little. Big surprise. While everything is tight and functions perfectly, nothing is "standard", meaning tolerances were loosely held. Three friends have five TS guns between them, so I decided to experiment. The slide from one will not go on my frame. A slide from another can be thrown on from across the room. You get the idea. Anything I do to that pistol is going to require a lot of fitting and adjustment, so I won't bother. I'll just shoot it the way it is until something breaks. Then I'll send it out for repair and upgrade. It isn't worth my time to figure out how everything works and buy the tooling required. I'll stick with 1911s and 2011s.

Now I'll give you an example at the other end of the spectrum. I recently bought a used 2011 Open pistol. Why? It started life as a plain jane STI Edge. It was sent to a well known smith for remachining and reworking into an Open pistol. I wanted to see how good his work actually was. It is good. Everything is the dimension it is supposed to be, holes in the right place, etc. I can literally go down to my parts bin and swap out components at will. I only use well made billet or bar stock parts, and they all fit correctly. That is what I mean by good bones. With this pistol (or the RO for that matter) I can swap thing out and try new things. I don't have to "fit" the stuff (other than parts that always require fitting), so if I don't like it it can go back into the parts bin unmolested.

Another reason good bones and tight tolerances are important to me is spares. Murphy says that stuff will break when it is least convenient, like at a match. I don't want to have to carry all the stuff that may break and be field repairable custom fitted to each of five pistols. I want to carry one set of "spares" that will work in any of them. That's why all my pistols (other than the CZ) are made to "blueprint" with tight tolerances.

Wife has a DW PM-9. It's sweet and purdy. Really not sure I'd trade her for my SA RO-9 now that I've got it tuned up the way I like it. And all in all done for about 2/3 the moola of the PM-9.

JD

I have a couple of Springfield's in 9. Both will eat anything and are tack drivers. I purchased both used for around 700. Got my smith to do trigger jobs on both and ran thousands thru them with no issues.