Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 USPSA Area 6 Championships

Great Match! Thanks to all of the Competitors, Sponsors, and Match Staff.

The stages were great, and the people were even better! Shot on Friday, R.O.'d on Saturday and Sunday... I would not have changed a thing (well, except for keeping the Bridge stage... I shot it decently, and thought it was a great stage).

It was great meeting so many of y'all, even if it was only for the 12 - 25 seconds of your run on Face Off.

:cheers:

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so ecststic. I was blown away when my name was called for 2nd B Production. I had no clue.

I had an amazing weekend and met some super people. Squad 23 was awesome to shoot with.

The match was by far the most challenging I have been to. Very awesome stages and thanks to all the staff. Shame about stage 4 but that's life.

I still cant believe I came in 5th on TWO stages. Thanks to HGExplosive for advise on stage 11. I owe you a beer. :cheers:

Big thanks to the staff for putting on another great A6. It's been a lot of years there and I'm sure they are getting worn out, but still doing a great job. 380 some shooters....that's pretty amazing. Someone earlier said "spring nationals", that's a pretty good description.

Congrats to Bob for an awesome Limited win....now go back to Production. :) Congrats to all the other winners as well.

A no shoot was added as well to compel the shooter to not go too far even if he did take it after the bridge.

This is hard for me to believe. Is this something a RO just did without range master approval? How could a RO possibly think this would be ok?

14 DQs...

Was there one cause of most of these, something that I need to be on the lookout for? Stage #?

I only ask so we can be on the lookout, for A5.

JT

My Advice is to know where the 180 is and don't break in,

and keep your finger out of the trigger guard when not

engaging targets.

scores are up!

Hi Edwin. I enjoyed shooting with you and Carey (and the rest of the squad) on Friday.

Also, I'm probably in the same boat as spankaveli. Stage 4 was probably my worst as well. Something about those pepper poppers at distance didn't get along with my sighting ability at the beginning of the stage :unsure: .

Likewise, Gregg. I had a real good time shooting with our squad(95) and hope to see everyone next year!

14 DQs...

Was there one cause of most of these, something that I need to be on the lookout for? Stage #?

I only ask so we can be on the lookout, for A5.

JT

By my count the results show only 12 (~3%).

It was a mixed bag. There was a dropped gun due to the muzzle of gun touching the shooter's thigh at the start position, and when he shifted his feet at Stand-By it raised the gun up just slightly and caused it to fall. One 'early' shot that hit about 8' from the shooter on the draw. Several of the others were 180's when people ran past a target and let their muzzle hang on it too long while trying to back up, or moving laterally while reloading and not being mindful of the muzzle. There were a few for fingers in trigger guards when they should have been somewhere else.

There didn't seem to be any one stage with a huge number of these events, but stage 11 saw three people end their match early on Friday. I don't know if there were more on that one Saturday and Sunday.

This is hard for me to believe. Is this something a RO just did without range master approval? How could a RO possibly think this would be ok?

I'll let someone with more credibility and insight than me answer that.

Edited by spankaveli

Just got in from a very long drive.

I want to give a great big thanks to the entire crew at Area 6. You folks put on a great match as always. :cheers:

To squad 22: I couldn't have had more fun with a nicer group of people. Thanks for everything.

Likewise, and IMO, there isn't a nicer group of people!

DITTO When asked how the match was, I told people I have never had a worse match be so much fun. Great Squad, and great crew of Area 6

Mark K

so for us that were not there to hear it, why was 4 thrown out, what is the actual story behind it.....

it was one of my better stages, not that any of them were that great.

These were some tough stages and kicked alot of shooters butts!!

Great match, glad I was able to attend the "Spring" Nationals!!!

Thanks to all the staff that put this together!!

From what I was told: Remember the last target on the right (T-11) that was available from the bridge?--It was the one available furthest forward on the bridge. Well, apparently (again, only from what I have heard) the ROs on Friday told the shooters that that target was only available from the bridge, and engaging it forward of the bridge was a 180 violation. Well, by Saturday, the ROs were allowing the target to be shot forward of the bridge, which was advantageous. So it got tossed.

Too bad too, as it was one of my best stages.

A no shoot was added as well to compel the shooter to not go too far even if he did take it after the bridge.

That's true. I was walking through the stage before the shooting started on Saturday morning and they were positioning and installing it. I just assumed that the action had been approved by the MD. Now I wish that I had asked. It was my second best stage. :(

I wisely planned this as a vacation day from work. After a good night’s sleep and a TylenolMcMuffin breakfast washed down with Diet Dr. Pepper I’m feeling pretty sporty again!

I worked Friday and shot the SatPM-SunAM schedule, and was fortunate enough to get assigned to CRO what I think was hands-down the best stage in the match, stage 11, “Ramp It Up”. I’ve always thought you can spot a good freestyle stage by watching people do their walk-through. Conga lines mean there aren’t many options, but if they’re milling around and bumping into each other like ants at a picnic, it’s probably a good one. After running ~125 shooter through it on Friday I still didn’t have a solid plan of how to shoot it. There were that many options presented. Late in the day Friday I was still seeing new, unique approaches by the shooters. When it was my turn yesterday I did something I’d never done before. When the RO said “Are You Ready?” I raised my hand and said “No. I’m lost. Can I move down in the order?” We did the UASC thing and I stepped back. It seemed like every one of the strategies I saw on Friday came rushing back in!

Squad 23 was too cool. We had some folks shooting their first Level III, and having fun while performing well (congrats to Spankavelli and TM262!). We also had a Father-and-Son team, 2 Area Directors, the USPSA Executive Director, a Cowboy, and all of Team Swiss Cake Rolls including our alternate member/mascot, “Flattop” (he’s waiting for one of us to die so he can fill the open slot). There were 5 SSTK shooters (one who placed 1st A), and we even had the Godfather of the Singlestack Division. There may have been some squads who fared better in the final results but I doubt anyone had more fun than we did.

To everyone who worked so hard putting together and running this wonderful event -- Thank You.

And especially to our world-class Match Director Cindy Noyes, thanks again for the exceptional playground you keep building for us to enjoy. I am (again) in awe of what you do.

Adding No-shoots after the match starts seems on par for this sport... that is what they did at Open Nationals last year.

Squad 23 was definatley a great squad to shoot with and definately never a dull moment. Congrats Spanky on your finish and I will take you up on that beer offer when we get to the Mississippi match. Minus stage 4 getting tossed (which was a good stage for me) the match was great. Thanks to all the everyone including the sponsors. Compared to all the other matches I have shot, this was by far one of the one of the most challenging ones.

I guess I got caught up too much in telling folks how much I enjoyed shooting with them to thank the powers that be for putting on such a great match. There were some great stages for sure. Well planned and executed match in my opinion. Thank you all very much. See you next time!

This is the best picture I got of the match:

maybe of the match....definitely not of the weekend!

I was really bummed when the finals got posted that 4 had been thrown out. On the Preliminary scores me and Want2race where 1 and 2 with 3 points separating us with less then 10 people left to shoot the stage. Want2race was 6 points back in the finals from HOA and I was 10 points back from moving up another spot, 1st master if W2R won HOA. Anyway I just wished it would have stayed as it was before it got changed. It would have sucked for SS guys and revo guys to have to reload on the bridge but it would have sucked for all of us.

Just got in a little while ago from towing the car that took us down there back so I'm tired. I'll have video and my impressions of the match in my range diary tomorrow.

Looks like Shaun was less than 1 mistake away from winning the whole damn division (Single Stack), so congratulations to Shaun. :cheers:

Also looks like Julie Golob and Tori Nonaka did really really well in Single Stack winning their respective classes (B & C). Nice job there.

... It would have sucked for SS guys and revo guys to have to reload on the bridge but it would have sucked for all of us. ...

Reloading and shooting on the bridge really weren't a big deal. It looked a whole lot worse than it actually was.

... It would have sucked for SS guys and revo guys to have to reload on the bridge but it would have sucked for all of us. ...

Reloading and shooting on the bridge really weren't a big deal. It looked a whole lot worse than it actually was.

I reloaded coming off the bridge and your right the bridge wasn't that bad if you just took the bridge and rolled on instead of dancing on it biggrin.gif

Part 2...

It was great to see so many out-of-town friends and make a few new ones. That's the biggest part of why I go to big matches. That's also why I work a stage for at least one day (I used to do two days when I had lower mileage). Getting to welcome folks to a stage and shake their hands is uber-cool. For example, I got to finally met James Ong after knowing him on these forums for so long. He's a cool guy and I might have missed the chance otherwise. He wasn't the only one.

I wore my super-cool BE Forums Techwear shirt and that sparked more than a few introductions. (Nice) There are far too many names to mention. I hope y'all enjoyed your time there at least half as much as I did.

:D

Great Match !!!!!!!! Thanks to all the staff that put on a wonderful show, I will be back next year for sure.

Stage 4 getting tossed cost me a few spots but that's the way it goes.

I was on a great squad (89) and had a wonderful group of friends that I drove (10+ hrs) down with. As always, it was an absolute pleasure watching Bob V. make difficult stages look so easy.

Congrats to all the winners !!