Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your 1911 outside of competition

Ohioguy

It depends on size of body... For my size, the Commander size gives me the best options. Full size grip/mag load and a upper that doesn't dig into my hips or my fat butt :rolleyes: . So currently that means either my DW (pre CZ) Patriot CBOB or either of my Kimber ProCarry HD's. All in SS and carried in Lou Allesi (RIP, Sir!) IWB. Been that way for over 5 years, and I shoot what I carry, as I carry in the few matches I run or attend.

When I was handgun hunting, I carried the 6" FA 83 because it "fit" better. Accepted the trade off of increased recoil over the 7.5'' model for all day comfort vs. the occasional shooting discomfort. Life's full of little tradeoffs...

L. Mike

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -- PJ O'Rourke

"A superior gunman is best defined as one who uses his superior

judgment in order to keep himself out of situations that would

require the use of his superior skills."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a V10 Springer that I've worked over, but don't carry it anymore. I would, but I can't find a non ported barrel for it (cheaply).

Now I carry a chopped and channeled STI Tactical in .40. It's lighter than the V10 and holds more. I have only one full length 1911 and it's competition only due to the mods on it.

The responses are pretty interesting. Split between Kimber and Springfield.

I don't currently have a 1911. The ones I have purchased in the past aren't worth mentioning (I got what I paid for).

I am thinking about purchasing one, but I am trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I am not sure if I want to get a Commander model or a FS that I could use in singlestack (or action pistol, IDPA, etc...). I don't want a full blown competition gun (though I do like the Para 16-40 and 14-45 Limited gun), but one that I can use and enjoy in the occasional match. I have been looking more at the match models from S&W, Springfield, STI, and Para. It would be nice to look at Wilson, Nighthawk, or Les Baer, but the budget doesn't allow it. Any suggestions on the makers I mentioned?

I would stay away from Paras. Mine has been trouble and the factory is f***king horrible. I sent my gun in because I was have problems and apparently they felt the need to scratch and beat up the frame. E-mailed them with complaints and pictures and they never responded.

I would stay away from Paras. Mine has been trouble and the factory is f***king horrible. I sent my gun in because I was have problems and apparently they felt the need to scratch and beat up the frame. E-mailed them with complaints and pictures and they never responded.

I would second that recommendation, especially for a carry gun.

I use a Kimber 4.25 9mm as my daily and IDPA gun.

I carry a 5" Wilson KZ-45. The polymer frame makes it lighter and gives you a 10 round magazine. The pistol is crazy accurate and reliable as they come. I installed a gold bead front sight and that is all I have done to this superb pistol.

I just had a STI aluminum frame "Commander" built in 9mm and it will be my carry gun when the finish has been applied. Twenty-six ounces and 22 rounds!

Buddy

Buddy, I like the way you think! I also use a 5" Wilson KZ and I love it. I'm thinking about having a commander top end put on it, I think it would make a great carry gun. Also just bought an STI aluminum frame off the classifieds here, I think I'll build that into a 40 S&W.

My daily carry is a Kimber Pro Carry II.

That's a 4" alloy 1911 that only weighs 22 ozs. It has night sights and Crimson Trace Laser grips.

The gun is every bit as accurate as any 5" I own and the weight distribution (with the light frame & tapered bushing-less barrel) is excellent.

I shoot IDPA with 5"1911 for carry I use a Colt officer 3-5/8" that has had action and reliability work done and new sights.

Its a stainless all steal, and a litlle heavy but I do trust my life to it.I plan on using it for indoors Idpa this winter.

Bob.

My #1 carry gun is a Kimber Ultra CDP II.

My competition gun is . . . the same gun, in Single Stack and once in L10.

One of these days I intend to get a 5", steel-framed Kimber for SS competition.

i sometimes carry a Caspian single stack alloy 9X23/38 SuperComp. my SHTF gun is a custom Para high cap alloy frame 9X23/38 SuperComp. my usual summer carry gun is a Colt Magnum Carry wheelgun that i slip under my belt - very convenient. my sometimes winter gun for slipping under my belt is a plastic (yikes) wondergun, a Walther P99 9mm, AS trigger. but there's no question that my preferred fighting pistol is a 1911 - it just doesn't slip under the belt as easy (read: safely) as some other designs.

Edited by superdude

Kimber ProElite from the custom shop.

Hey that used to be my carry gun......

Since 2002 I have carried and used in competition a custom built Nowlin 45 single stack. Nightstand gun is a 70 series Colt that was set up originally as a bullseye hardball gun. Had a few changes done to it, beavertail, magwell, extended single sided safety and had the bo-mar rear sight recut and buried on it.

I have had several pass thru, Colt Special Combat, Springfield Professional Model, Springfield Super Tuned, the Kimber Pro Elite and a Springfield Ultra Compact.

I really would like to get a 1911 in the CCO configuration, Commander slide and officer frame and have the frame bobtailed.....of course in 45acp