Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tapping and setting steel

slip knot

At a local match yesterday, I noticed that the RO/CRO does not

call out work asignments for the shooters like they use to do in

the past. Only the on deck person. It use to be that the on deck

person was called, taper, brass person, and setting steel if required.

I'm sure that the stage would move along must better if was carried

out. We did a lot of standing around waiting for all of the targets to

be pattched, and steel that was some distance away to be re-set.

Is this a lost art form?

"We did a lot of standing around waiting for all of the targets to

be pattched, and steel that was some distance away to be re-set."

Maybe the "WE" needs to head down range and paste/reset, instead of standing around. The targets arnt gonna miracle their way reset.

Edited by Joe4d

CRO/RO should not have to tell you what to do regarding that. If you had been told it in the past, you knew what to do and what was expected of you, and should have been doing it.

Part of our role as shooters is to train the new people. If you train them to wait and be told, don't be surprised if they don't do anything.

Edited by vluc

The "we" had alread tapped targets & set steel for the squad,

add was getting tired of doing it. It is not the job of the "we"

to to it all by "we's" self. That was the job of the RO/CRO I

thought to ask for tappers, steel setters, and policing of the

brass. <_< Again, is this a lost art ??

Edited by slip knot

7.1.1 Range Officer (“RO”) – issues range commands, oversees competitor

compliance with the written stage briefing and closely monitors safe

competitor action. He also declares the time, scores and penalties

achieved by each competitor and verifies that these are correctly

recorded on the competitor’s score sheet (under the authority of a Chief

Range Officer and Range Master).

Doesn't mention anything about assigning jobs to competitors. RO's are typically the people who end up yelling for paster's when the job isn't getting done. But there is nothing that says YOU can't do it either. Particularly if you find yourself pasting over and over. Speak up.

Around here, everyone pitches in without being told. Pretty much. At least most of the time.

Newbies get gently educated, slacker experienced shooters get not-so-gently "reminded".

My remedy when I look around and I'm the only one out there taping and setting? I shift

down about 4 gears and start moving R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W. :rolleyes:

CRO/RO should not have to tell you what to do regarding that. If you had been told it in the past, you knew what to do and what was expected of you, and should have been doing it.

Part of our role as shooters is to train the new people. If you train them to wait and be told, don't be surprised if they don't do anything.

I agree. Here it is the responsibility of everyone that is not on deck to be taping, setting, painting, etc.

It goes much smoother that way.

Where I shoot, even if there is only five on our squad, if you don't get to it, it will get done without you. It just looks bad to not help. I sure do not like to look bad. So it gets done and fast. Same with tear down. I finished a last stage a few months ago, and stopped to chat with someone. Next thing I knew, most everything was torn down on three of six stages! That looks bad, and like I said, I do not like to look bad.

I have never seen or heard it done the way you are saying. Usually we tape and reset the steel at the same time. I do like it when they get scored by one person, and then taped. Prevents taping over a target before it gets scored. But that is just me. As long as it gets done, than all is good.

I've been doing this for a very long time. In my area, the standard range chores used to be assigned as you say, but not anymore.

Generally there is a group of helpful people, and a group that stands around and chats.

With so many shooting .40 and 9mm with relatively cheap brass, I don't know very many that pick up brass at matches anymore. A few, but not many.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been doing this for a very long time. In my area, the standard range chores used to be assigned as you say, but not anymore.

Generally there is a group of helpful people, and a group that stands around and chats.

With so many shooting .40 and 9mm with relatively cheap brass, I don't know very many that pick up brass at matches anymore. A few, but not many.

I have the same situation, I just try and group up with the shooter that aren't lazy.

May God have mercy on your soul if your on my squad and you continually sit on your behind while the rest of us bust our humps to get the stage ready for the next shooter. If you've been doing all the work and the other guys are sitting around either politely ask for some help. Remember not everybody knows the etiquette of shooting USPSA/IDPA etc. If that doesn't work mention it to the RO, the official one. At our match we don't tell people what to do other than who the shooter is, on deck, and in the hole. There is a reason when the "Mafia" travels to away matches everybody wants to get on our squad....our squad tends to get done early.

I have to admit, I have never heard of the CRO/RO assigning duties to anyone for anything. Granted, I've only been in uspsa for 5 years, but that issue has never come up in any match I have attended.

Was this just a local thing you all did at your clubs or was that policy to have RO's assign jobs at matches. Seems to me it would be a lot of work for the RO's on the stage... just an observation is all.

"WE" should have spoken up to those who were on the squad and were not helping. If those on the squad refused to help, then you don't paste, or set steel for that person(s).

You can tell shooters to get off their ass and help positively or negatively. You tend to get a better response when its done in a positive way. If I see someone loafing I will grab an extra roll of tape and walk over to them and say "Lets go tape some targets" as I hand them the tape. Or do the same thing with brassing. Grab the shooters brass bag and hand it to the loafer and say "Lets do some brassing". The key here is to go do the activity with the loafer, not just badger them to go work. If you stand there yelling at people to get off their ass and work you will more than likely get a middle finger and some half ass effort to do the job.

It isn't the ROs job to tell people to paste and reset steel... yeah, they can do it, but they shouldn't have to.

That should be covered by the match director at the safety meeting.

Up here we just pull off an arm length of tape and walk up to them and tape it to their chest, then walk away.

Shooters get the message pretty quick.

Where I do most of my shooting, the RO calls out who is on deck,

the next name is pasting, next is setting steel, and the forth is picking

up brass. This way some one is always helping out, and the squad

movess through the stage very smooth.

Where I do most of my shooting, the RO calls out who is on deck,

the next name is pasting, next is setting steel, and the forth is picking

up brass. This way some one is always helping out, and the squad

movess through the stage very smooth.

It's nice your RO's do that, but all the matches I've shot (big and small) the RO's have not made assignments like that for a very long time back in the 90's. I've been taught to speak-up or don't complain, also, if it's broke...fix it.

The longer that I am an MD and CRO, the less pleasant about asking for help I become. If folks are really lazy, I will tape it myself (I am usually the RO) and forbid anyone from the course of fire while I am doing so (unless of course they have tape in their hands). One of the things that grates on my nerves are the guys that don't help, but will walk the course after every shooter getting ready for their run. As for the "on deck" and "in the hole" shooters helping tape or set- I'd rather that they get focused on their runs and make sure that they are ready to go.

• 3 months later...

I'm a big fan of squad run shoots. The squad does everything. No one stands around, (Unless you're the shooter or on deck), and matches seem to flow faster. I have a couple local matches that it's a free for all on pasting, and I have to admit, it really sucks the motivation out of me to get up at 6am, drive an hour, and then stand and paste the same CoF for an hour. Then when I finally get to shoot, guess what? I am pasting my own targets! :angry2:

People, it's easy. If you're not shooting, you're pasting. Plenty of time to BS and load mags after the pasting and setting is done!

I don’t mind tapping and I’d be a grand master if they had a class for tapping. I find its best just to set the example than let it piss you off. Also, we have some guys that are not in as good of shape for walking back and forth all day but I still enjoy their company, and can pick up a little slack here and there.

I think this is one thing we all need to work on....getting others to paste and reset.

It's not exactly difficult, but some squad members always seem to be doing everything but.

I think I'm a GM in pasting as well, especially if it's nice outside!