Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tapping and setting steel

slip knot

I've started taking my kids, 9 and 10, to 3-gun shoots so they can spend time with me in the shooting sports.

They get to tape, set targets and pick brass and think it's the best time ever.

After everything is all over I get the .22s out for them to shoot, I don't feel they're ready for competition yet.

Right now I just bring one at a time because,

If you have 1 child working you get 1 child's worth of work

If you have 2 you get 1.3 child's worth of work

If you have 3 you get .7 child's worth of work

the last match i went to, i was the 7th shooter of the day (small indoor, only 3 stages) when i was done, i packed up all my gear and then helped tape for a dozen shooters or so, then left. didnt want to be the guy who shoots early and doesnt help at all

Where I shoot, it's very well known who tapes targets and who doesn't. So the tapers get on one squad and those who don't get on one squad.

We finish the match an 30 mins to an hour before the other squad. They get to socialize and goof off more between shooters without people yelling at them. Everyone leaves happy :D .

I have an ART of noticing who did not does not help and remembering it for years. I don't care how 'Good" you are every shooter helps .

I just don't like getting Cranked up at the match. I make my Notty and Nice list latter

We shoot five stages at our club, and I've noticed lately that for the first 3 stages people are good about pasting and resetting. You get to the 4th stage and people start slacking off. It usually becomes apparent to me when I start down one side of the COF and realize I haven't seen another person pasting when I get to the back middle, usually when I run out of pasters. By stage 5 it's usually down to 2 guys doing everything ( we usually run in squads of 10 ).

Oddly, or maybe not, it seems that the larger the group the more trouble it is getting the stage reset. I guess it is the big school of fish theory that if there are 25 to 30 people waiting at a stage inaction will go unnoticed. If there are 10 people its going to be pretty flippin' obvious.

RO callouts we use are: next shooter, on deck, in the hole, a couple for brass and a couple for steel/tape. We use rolling squads and if people aren't pulling their weight their card will get moved down to the bottom of the list. It sure shouldn't have to be that way. Folks should just do it on their own if for no other reason than to not have to wait 45 min to an hour before they can shoot the stage.

When I am on deck I dont paste, when I just shot I dont paste, till I see my score. I then go reload a mag or dump empty and grab full mag, ( generally carry 8 loaded 21 round mags) every other shooter I either tape, reset, paint, RO or score keep. It doesnt matter what others are doing I am pretty much gonna do the same thing so I just dont let it bother me.

We have had a few that are less enthusiastic about setting stages. The last few shooters meetings I have been very to the point that EVERYONE needs to help. It has helped a fair amount we got done about 30 minutes quicker yesterday.

If your MD & SO/RO's are not setting the expectation then they need to otherwise it won't get better on it's own.

Edited by Greg Bell

• 3 months later...

i beast those targets with tape and try and reset as much as i can, i will generally run when doing this stuff going to targets (lol). the main premise being:

1. the faster things get reset, the faster we can all shoot, it is good to shoot, it is bad to stand around

2. running around taping and resetting keeps your limbs more warmed up and ready for shooting the stage than if you are standing and not doing anything if you see what i mean

Edited by Field