Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

Sometimes I have to tell on myself. :closedeyes:

Yesterday I was going to the silhouette range to practice with my .22 rifle.

I stopped off at a gun store where I used to work. As they were closing, one of the (fairly new) clerks was looking for his gun. They open carry at the store but he'd taken it off at lunch to run some errands. (Even though New Mexico is an open carry state, many people are not all that confortable with it.) Honestly, he was about three steps away from his pistol and it took him about two seconds to find it. But I gave him a hard time anyway.

Fast forward to my arrival at the range.

I go up and talk to a buddy. Then I get out my shooting rest because I want to check my zero on a calm day. (Windless days are rare around here and I wanted to see what it'd really do from the bench too.) I had my ammo, earplugs, safety glasses, targets . . . but no rifle. It was in the case on the living room floor at home, 37 miles away, where I'd set it right in front of the door so I wouldn't forget it.

<_<

Edited by mgood

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped off at a gun store where I used to work. As they were closing, one of the (fairly new) clerks was looking for his gun. They open carry at the store but he'd taken it off at lunch to run some errands. (Even though New Mexico is an open carry state, many people are not all that confortable with it.) Honestly, he was about three steps away from his pistol and it took him about two seconds to find it. But I gave him a hard time anyway.

I go up and talk to a buddy. Then I get out my shooting rest because I want to check my zero on a calm day. (Windless days are rare around here and I wanted to see what it'd really do from the bench too.) I had my ammo, earplugs, safety glasses, targets . . . but no rifle. It was in the case on the living room floor at home, 37 miles away, where I'd set it right in front of the door so I wouldn't forget it.

<_<

I'd laugh harder at this if I'd never done it.

<_<

Been there done that. Or have gun but no mags.

Gun no mags, mags no gun, gun-mags and no ammo, Everything but wife's ammo(she was not pleased!), and last but not least... No hearing protection!!! 20 mi drive to get to the range.

A little drift here but this why I now have a generic checklist for matches. I actually put a check mark on every item as packing and review it before I leave the house down to the bannana and drinks.

<_<

+1

Last week I went to the range to shoot with visiting GM... let's see-- gun, ammo, mags, hearing protection, eye protection, belt keepers, belt, uh, belt, hmmm... damn! I left the outter belt at home with holster and mag pounches on it. Right on the table where I staged it to go out the door.

I ain't got no gun-shop stories, most of the time I'm in there I notice the weary and worn expressions on their faces from all the visitors' questions.

I did take a gun to the local gun show to sell or trade. The guys at the first booth inside the door asked what I was selling and then what I wanted for it... I said I was just entertaining offers. The guy chatting with me shared my answer with the boss dude who gave his best, "stupid gun show visitor" expression and commented, "we don't make offers."

I was fast enough (and John Wayne enough) to quickly respond, "well #&*# ya then, 'we ain't making no offers' man." That left 'em silent.

About 185 miles... one way to the valley from Corpus to shoot at an IDPA match. Took a shot at a hanging target prior to the match. Went PFfffftt. as the 9mm round went off in my .40 STI. I had picked up the wrong bag when I left the house.....

Had time to run to wally world and get some .40 before the match...

Lucky only one guy was there to see it...but that was enough......blush.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

unsure if I posted this before.

local gun store, off duty police officer leans up against the cabinet full of various 1911s.

asked the clerk about some handguns , the clerk pointed at the cabinet and said "check out these 1911s"

the officer replied " I dont want to trust my life to 100 year old technology, what else you got?.

I about died.

Edited by juan

unsure if I posted this before.

local gun store, off duty police officer leans up against the cabinet full of various 1911s.

asked the clerk about some handguns , the clerk pointed at the cabinet and said "check out these 1911s"

the officer replied " I dont want to trust my life to 100 year old technology, what else you got?.

I about died.

Hopefully JMB has a say on who makes it past the pearly gates and that cop doesn't have a chance. He was probably rolling over in his grave.

Semi Auto handgun 1896

Pump Action Shotgun 1886

Revolver 1840?

Bolt Action Rifle 1891

Semi Auto rifle. I believe Mr Browning was working on ideas and basic designs 1896.

Any corrections gratefully accepted.

Nothing is new, including how stupid people can be.

I own a fair sized gun shop. We get at least one rifle a month that comes in with either a spent case still in it, empty chamber and loaded magazine in firearm, or fully loaded. Main thing is most see it as our problem not theirs.

"At a local gun store one day an off duty police officer leans up against the cabinet full of various 1911s. He asked the clerk about some handguns, the clerk pointed at the cabinet and said, 'Check out these 1911s.' The officer commented, 'I dont want to trust my life to 100 year old technology, what else you got?'"

The clerk should have responded, "Nothing better."

I'd have been tempted to stick my nose in it with, "Bring your gun out to the next match, I'll spot you the difference between the 8 rounds in my 1911 to however many you got; I'll still whip you. And, if my 1911 malfunctions before your gun does, I'll refund your match fee... we got a deal, sparky?"

I hate the empty bravado of statements like that which the cop uttered.

Edited by Steven Cline

At a local gun store and a customer walked in looking for a cap and ball/ percussion cap pistol. Clerk told him that: "Those are all antiques, nobody has made those in over 100 years, and we couldn't afford to buy any because they're so expensive."

Edited by Pro-Pain

At a local gun store and a customer walked in looking for a cap and ball/ percussion cap pistol. Clerk told him that: "Those are all antiques, nobody has made those in over 100 years, and we couldn't afford to buy any because they're so expensive."

Lol I think I paid $80 for one a few years ago. Don't know why I bought it but damn, it's a hoot.

Lol I think I paid $80 for one a few years ago. Don't know why I bought it but damn, it's a hoot.

Yeah, I've got one.... Except for cleaning it after firing, its a blast to shoot! Nothing like stepping 6' to the left after you shoot it to get out of the smoke so you can see if you hit what you were aiming at..... :roflol:

About 185 miles... one way to the valley from Corpus to shoot at an IDPA match. Took a shot at a hanging target prior to the match. Went PFfffftt. as the 9mm round went off in my .40 STI. I had picked up the wrong bag when I left the house.....

Had time to run to wally world and get some .40 before the match...

Lucky only one guy was there to see it...but that was enough......blush.gif

<------ hehe

Guy behind the counter: "yeah, these M&P15-22s are a hoot."

Potential customer: "interesting that they took the 'AR' out the name, why do you think that is?"

'Expert': "well, since they're .22 they're not really assault rifles."

Those LB 1911's are REALLY tight...you have to rack it like this...putting his hand over the front, hand completely covering the barrel, and push back hard. :surprise:

OK then...no cocking serrations needed then I guess.

My girlfriend refuses to go to our local gunshop after this interaction with the owner:

Gf: I should come here and shoot your glock sometime.

Owner: (walks up) You wouldn't like it.

Gf: oh?

O: Women don't enjoy shooting. Their brains are wired different from men. (Tries to sell her a colt officer's .45 compact) Just take this gun and give it to your man. He'll make sure it works for you when you need it. You don't need to shoot it. Put it in your purse, when the time comes you'll have adrenaline and this .45 will feel like a .22. (and apparently combat training)

Gf: *Long string of 4 letter words as she storms out the door.

Since then I've wandered into multiple sales pitches at the shop that consist of the salesmen using the "adrenaline rush" excuse to try and sell .45/10mm/.357 to 100 pound women. :mellow:

"...Women don't enjoy shooting. Their brains are wired different from men..."

Oh God in heaven, don't get me started!! I have a suitable "long string of 4-letter words", too, for this ignorant asshat...!!! GAH!!! :angry2:

Yea. The story goes that he used to have a small shop untIl lowes wanted to build on his location and offered him a huge amount of money to tear down his building. He then moved into a much bigger location and has enough in the bank that he can pretty run it the way he sees fit, which is to hire a bunch of condasending jerks and sell guns for 25% over what the guy down the street sells them for.

He does ok for himself. It's the only indoor range around and he gets a lot of business from tacticool tough guys that come in to shoot the deagle and young military types with enlistment bonuses.