Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most of the Academy's I have visited the guns have locks on the triggers and no dry firing is allowed. Looks like this salesman violated store policy by removing the lock.

Entirely possible, I didn't see him remove a lock, but I've never wasted the time to look at a pistol at Academy. I prefer the small shops run by knowledgable and courteous people...even if I have to spend a few more bucks for good CS.

CM

Actually this incident is probably my fault for assuming my friend knew more about shooting than he did.

Anyway I took this friend to my local club which has an indoor range to shoot. He had just bought a stock 1911 and wanted to shoot it.

He did fine shooting it and when he was done with his, I asked him if he would like to shoot my Ruger Mark II with a red dot on it.

He did, and shot a couple of times at the target. We couldn't find a hole on the target, and I had just finished shooting the pistol myself so I knew it was sighted in. The mounts and scope were tight, and he had just hit his target everytime with his 1911 and iron sights. I couldn't imagine why he had missed the whole target.

I stand behind him while he shoots another shot and see that he is shooting high. He was lining the red dot up with the front sight and the target like you would with open sights. Fortunately, there were good baffles overhead so none of the shots hit the ceiling or left the building.

Another one involving sights.

I was in my local gunshop when I lived in Iowa. A man came in and bought a Rock Island Arms AR-15 with just the rail on top for scope mounting.

The rifle had a guarantee to shoot I believe 1/2" groups.

Anyway, a couple of days later the guy comes back in the store complaining that he is barely able to keep all of the shots on the target, let alone get a good group.

The owner asks him what kind of scope he mounted on the rifle, and the guy says he hadn't mounted a scope. He was just pointing the rifle at the target expecting 1/2" groups as advertised. With no sights!!!

Another one involving sights.I was in my local gunshop when I lived in Iowa. A man came in and bought a Rock Island Arms AR-15 with just the rail on top for scope mounting. The rifle had a guarantee to shoot I believe 1/2" groups.Anyway, a couple of days later the guy comes back in the store complaining that he is barely able to keep all of the shots on the target, let alone get a good group.The owner asks him what kind of scope he mounted on the rifle, and the guy says he hadn't mounted a scope. He was just pointing the rifle at the target expecting 1/2" groups as advertised. With no sights!!!

Did he remember to press the repeating button? You know, so all shots hit within a half inch of the first one. :rolleyes:

Fifth%2BElement.jpg

CM

I just got back from the pawn shop and heard this gem.

Clerk: ok. I want you to aim at a spot on the wall and close your eyes.

Lady: ok

Teacups a tiny bersa 380 and points it at the wall. Closes her eyes for 2 seconds and reopened them.

Clerk: did your sights move? That's called natural point of aim.

Lady: yes. It moved down and to the left.

Clerk: ok. That means the gun is too heavy for you.

Lady: oh my, is this the smallest gun you got?

About this time I walked away when they started talking about how the LCP would be more "manageable" for her since it was smaller and had a laser.

• 2 weeks later...

Take lunch break and stop in at a indoor range that sells and rents guns.

clerk: looking for something special?

Me: STI Trojan 9mm. Have any used?

Clerk: never heard if one, i'll check.

Owner of the shop to clerk: no why?

Clerk: that man asked me if we had one.

Owner of the shop: sir, if they don't shoot I don't sell em.

Me: so your telling me those Hi-points you sell are superior to STI products?

Owner of the shop: never had a problem with one

I just left, it was scary.

Well of course, those POS STIs are like all other finicky "exotic" designs that require lubrication and cleaning, you know, like those "2011s" and the communist Cee-Zees.

He's selling to the consumer, a real man. Someone who buys a gun, shoots 50 rounds of WWB out of it, hits the target at least 25 times, and puts it in his bedroom closet, content to know that he'll be headshotting crooks at 25 yards with it. However, since everyone else at the water cooler can already do that, he will tell his friends about how he shoots flying squirrels with one hand at 75 yards, choking out a grizzly with the other while simutaneously kicking the winning field goal at the State championships; fulfilling the former quarterback's lifelong wish as he lays paralyzed in the hospital from a grizzly bear attack.

You're just one of those wacko "competitive shooters". To him you're just a big safety hazard running around "ISPCing" targets at that "gun club", making dangerous homemade bullets that you load 37 at a time in your oversized clip mags which are banned by the Geneva Convention don'tcha know, and having the gall to tell Granny Sue that a $1500 .44 magnum that he was going to make a handsome profit on is just not what she needs to visit her grandson on the other side of the tracks for Bible Study.

Edited by TerryYu

Years ago when I first opened my gun store, a guy brought in a Hi-Point that was in dire need of cleaning.

I had never seen one, and couldn't figure out how to strip it without knocking out roll pins.

I called MKS Supply to ask about it and the lady on the phone said 'Oh, we don't recommend you disassemble it. I said 'So how are we supposed to clean it?' she said, 'Just lock the slide back and spray it out real good inside'.

That was enough for me to know I would never buy, sell, or service them in my store.

Pretty sure I know where you may have been... had the pleasure of being in a shooting bay next to people doing the same thing... Talk about a concussion in an indoor range.

I love the people that unload at full speed at 3~5 yards and miss the paper...

Lol are you guys in So CA?

If so there's only one place this could have happened :)

We are in the southwest.... of Ohio.

Ahhh TW. I get a chuckle every time I go there just to look around, It's kind of on the way home from a USPSA match. Some of the things I have overheard salesperson say just make me cringe. All I do to can to keep my mouth shut and walk away.

MDA

Edited by mda

Terry Yu ...GREAT! and nice profile photo as well dude!

Years ago I ran into a guy at the old Hermans in Selden/Centereach here on Long Island.

He had an M-1A in his hands and was taking it back into the store to see if they would "buy it back from me 'cos I took it hunting once and I don't need it anymore"

Me being a big fan of the M-14/M-1A I had to ask him what he wanted for it and if I could take a look at it.

He says "Its only had 40 rounds fired through it.

Upon close examination I see surface rust all over any metal parts and opening the action you could hear the operating rod spring scream in agony.

The bore? Looked like it was trying out for a part as the surface of the moon in a space movie....craters and rust all the way down it.

It appeared that this guy had fired the 40 rounds through it and put it away without cleaning it at all.

My old D.I.'s would have died of a heart attack if they saw a rifle looking like that.

I confirmed this when I asked him when he had last cleaned it. He says "Oh I never cleaned it....it's only had 40 rounds fired through it so it didn't need to be cleaned."

I asked him when he had fired it and he said "Well I took it to the range after I purchased it around 3-4 years ago and thats the last time I fired it."

He NEVER did ANY sort of cleaning on it ...even after he purchased it....he had ZERO idea of how to lock the action open ...knew absolutely NOTHING about it.

I said "Thanks but no thanks." to the guy when he offered to sell it to me.

I probably could have thrown down some cash and took it home and babied it with some TLC and got it re barreled and it would have been okay but it was just amazing to me that someone would go to a gun shop and buy something like an M-1A and not even do any sort of basic maintenance on it.

If he had even just sprayed it with some WD-40 or just wiped it down that would have been better than nothing.

The gun shop "experts" exist and flourish due to people like this guy..who seemed like a nice enough guy when I talked to him but he was totally ignorant of any sort of knowledge of firearms....stuff that we here would consider to be VERY basic stuff about firearms.

Too bad we can't get this stuff taught in school.....maybe we should do that....have it taught in math class and shop class.

Someday when I'm king of the world......

I didnt hear this conversation but I got the secondhand version.

Sent my buddy to a local gunshop to buy a West german P226 9mm in good shape for 499. He comes back with a Sig 2022 9mm, for 499, used...

It was his money and his choice but after making clear what gun to buy (and this is his first pistol, not a huge gun guy) I explained to him that even the crooks at Gander Mountain sell a NEW 2022 for 499, and a new 226 goes for 900 or more. I asked him why he made that choice, it was because the clerk said "That 226 is old and it is hard to get ammo for it." (FACEPALM) So the 9mm for the 226 is hard to get but not the 9mm for the 2022?

Usually I leave owners to make theirs sales but if I had heard that I may have had to question his logic.

Next one:

In a large local gunshop know for their collection of historic firearms and high end pieces...

Me: (Browsing used pistol inventory)

Cocky Arrogant Son of Owner who inherited shop: Can I help You find something special?

Me: Yeah, lookin for an STI or SVI

Son of Owner: Never heard of one.

Me: Never heard of STI?

Son of Owner: Nope. What is it.

Me:Gun manufacturer from Texas. They make Double Stack 1911s.

Son Of Owner: Never heard of it, we dont sell cheap junk. We can order you a Para Ordnance.

Me: (Exit building promply while rolling eyes)

Its almost unbelievable how many "gun experts " I meet that have no idea who STI is...like not knowing who Ruth or Ryan is in baseball. Incredible to me.

Makes sense to me, because once I got interested in Competition shooting I figured out how to order accessories through the Internet catalogs, and have guns transfered through a local FFL. So, if my experience is typical, then gun stores only see the "gotta have it today" or "don't know what I want" customers, and the customers like me are "I know what I want and what it should cost" typically bypassing the retail store altogether.

Was in a local gunshop last winter and hear the new young clerk telling someone who was in there that the AR-15 makes a great home defense weapon because the bullets tumble... I bit my tongue...

Slightly off topic but at work today I heard the "gun gurus" discussing ammo and how the bullet rises, tried to explain how that is physically impossible with out some type of outside force. The old tradjectory pic shown on thousands of boxs was brought up, I'm not sure I got the messsage across that the bullet will never rise above the plane of the bore.

Well I tried

Mildot

I was in the gunshop today and saw a NAA Guardian that has been sitting there over priced forever and some type of knock off next to it that they did not have last week when I stopped by to peruse the gun case.

Me: Huh, that's new, it looks just like the NAA.

GS expert: No, actually it's designed after the Guardian.

Me: Really? It looks just like the NAA.

GS expert: Well, one or the other

Me: :blink: