Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

"They added parts that hold down the sear so that you don't have to pull the trigger to remove the slide. Apparently someone at SA thought that was a big issue with users not being able able to safely take the gun apart."

I get that, but for a competition shooter looking for a new gun, who the hell cares?

In all of the talk we've had around here about choosing guns, has anyone ever cared about ease of disassembly?

:)

Scott's passionate about the XD... :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a large outdoors retailer I approach someone at the gun counter...

Me: "Excuse me, Do you have any reduced recoil slugs?"

Clerk: "Well, what kind of gun is it for?"

Me: (Wondering why he thinks it matters) "A Winchester SX3."

Clerk: (Dumbfounded look on his face) "I don't think Benelli makes those."

I just left. Then I laughed.

My all time favorite story was from a large outdoor sporting goods store in the area. An inexperienced customer was at the counter looking at an SA/DA pistol with a safety/decocker. While fiddling with the gun with a cocked hammer, the customer engaged the safety/decocker and the hammer fell. The customer was shocked when the hammer fell, and asked the clerk at the gun counter "if this gun was loaded, would putting the safety on make the gun go off?" The clerk at the counter told the customer that he wasn't sure and did not know, and told the customer he would get an employee that "knew alot about handguns". The clerk comes back with another employee, and the customer posed the same question, if engaging the safety/decocker would make the loaded gun go off since the hammer fell. The so called handgun expert looked at the customer, and said "thats why I don't like this brand of gun"!!!!

My all time favorite story was from a large outdoor sporting goods store in the area. An inexperienced customer was at the counter looking at an SA/DA pistol with a safety/decocker. While fiddling with the gun with a cocked hammer, the customer engaged the safety/decocker and the hammer fell. The customer was shocked when the hammer fell, and asked the clerk at the gun counter "if this gun was loaded, would putting the safety on make the gun go off?" The clerk at the counter told the customer that he wasn't sure and did not know, and told the customer he would get an employee that "knew alot about handguns". The clerk comes back with another employee, and the customer posed the same question, if engaging the safety/decocker would make the loaded gun go off since the hammer fell. The so called handgun expert looked at the customer, and said "thats why I don't like this brand of gun"!!!!

When I hear something similary silly (usually at a gun show) I cannot help myself and correct the person behind the counter.

I know it's kind of a lame story, but when i was looking to get a glock 17 for shooting production the clerk was shocked that i wanted the rough Texture grip, and advised me against it, because it would "eat" away at my hands, and make it to painful to shoot the gun...

i chuckled at this and bought the gun anyway...

The RTG could use a bit more RTG if you ask me :)

cheers,

Los.

I know it's kind of a lame story, but when i was looking to get a glock 17 for shooting production the clerk was shocked that i wanted the rough Texture grip, and advised me against it, because it would "eat" away at my hands, and make it to painful to shoot the gun...

i chuckled at this and bought the gun anyway...

The RTG could use a bit more RTG if you ask me :)

cheers,

Los.

Thread drift here. A buddy of mine is a cabinet maker so I guess his hands are used to being a little rough. He used some sort of small very sharp gravel on his glock. It does make for a very good grip. and it doubles as a rough file.

Against my better advice, I Went to one of the larger pawn shops here with a buddy (age 20) who wanted to buy his first AR-15. He found one that he liked, when the sales clerk saw his licence he'd replied he couldn't sell him the rifle. I asked him why not, and was told because he was only 20. Confused, I said you only have to be 18 years of age to buy a rifle. Clerk answered back "Yes that is correct, but this has a PISTOL GRIP." I couldn't had push him out of that pawn shop fast enough. We crossed the street and he bought a AR from Sportsman Warehouse.

Edited by DocMedic

Against my better advice, I Went to one of the larger pawn shops here with a buddy (age 20) who wanted to buy his first AR-15. He found one that he liked, when the sales clerk saw his licence he'd replied he couldn't sell him the rifle. I asked him why not, and was told because he was only 20. Confused, I said you only have to be 18 years of age to buy a rifle. Clerk answered back "Yes that is correct, but this has a PISTOL GRIP." I couldn't had push him out of that pawn shop fast enough. We crossed the street and he bought a AR from Sportsman Warehouse.

Very sad ant it

I just realized its been more 2 hours and I've read through this entire thread...

I guess I was about 9 years old when the magazine capacity ban went through, and I used to spend my allowance buying pre-ban beretta 92 mags. I know... I was a weird kid.

So, I'm 12 years old, at this gunshop in College Station with my Mom, and I ask how much for the pre-ban beretta mag behind the glass. The guy behind the counter says: that's a 10 round mag. Being familiar with that exact aftermarket magazine maker(and apparently a confident little smart-ass), I proceeded to explain how you could tell it was a 15 rounder.

As I continue looking around, I see him pull out a pen and start to fiddle with the basepad. The pad goes flying off, and the magazine spring hits him directly in the eye. Laughing, he eventually said to me: "yeah, looked like a fifteen rounder!"

This was almost 15 years ago, and I still remember his face.

I just realized its been more 2 hours and I've read through this entire thread...

I guess I was about 9 years old when the magazine capacity ban went through, and I used to spend my allowance buying pre-ban beretta 92 mags. I know... I was a weird kid.

So, I'm 12 years old, at this gunshop in College Station with my Mom, and I ask how much for the pre-ban beretta mag behind the glass. The guy behind the counter says: that's a 10 round mag. Being familiar with that exact aftermarket magazine maker(and apparently a confident little smart-ass), I proceeded to explain how you could tell it was a 15 rounder.

As I continue looking around, I see him pull out a pen and start to fiddle with the basepad. The pad goes flying off, and the magazine spring hits him directly in the eye. Laughing, he eventually said to me: "yeah, looked like a fifteen rounder!"

This was almost 15 years ago, and I still remember his face.

Lol awesome

Sounds like the guy was not so bad :)

stumbled across a pristine browning hipower practical at a really low (about half fmv) price. The dealer told me the hammer was broke as it wouldnt cock when the trigger was pulled but he was sure I could get it fixed by a gunsmith pretty easily. While I was body blocking the three other people trying to get to it, my girlfriend actually starts trying to talk the guy down before I could get my wallet out.

these are incredibly funny and sadly further my complete lack of faith in humanity as a whole...if stupidity is a disease i think we need to quarantine some of these areas! :surprise:

yesterday at a local 'Big Box Retailer' another service-counter 'expert' made me die a little more inside...

Customer in front of me: "I need two boxes of Speer Gold Dots in 9mm, a box of Remington 7mm, and 4 sticks of CCI Mini-Mags"

Clerk: We dont carry Speer Gold Dots...they are armor piercing rounds y'know"

Customer: uh...ok...guess I will go across the street then...

Clerk: Don't ya want the rest of this ammo

Customer: No...you got stupid all over it and I'm afraid of being infected...

At Dicks Sporting goods the other day and after waiting forever for service "Jason" shows up.

He has on his name tag that he works in the Hunting section but maybe I was expecting too much from him when I asked him for help with the .45acp rounds they had for sale.

They had them far enough away from the counter so that even with me trying to lean over it I still couldn't read the small print on the boxes to see if they had any 200 grain bullets as opposed to the 230gr FMJ they seemed to have a lot of.

I asked the kid "Hey you got any 200 grain bullets or is all you have the 230 grain ball ammo? " and he answers : "Huh?"

At Dicks Sporting goods the other day and after waiting forever for service "Jason" shows up.

He has on his name tag that he works in the Hunting section but maybe I was expecting too much from him when I asked him for help with the .45acp rounds they had for sale.

They had them far enough away from the counter so that even with me trying to lean over it I still couldn't read the small print on the boxes to see if they had any 200 grain bullets as opposed to the 230gr FMJ they seemed to have a lot of.

I asked the kid "Hey you got any 200 grain bullets or is all you have the 230 grain ball ammo? " and he answers : "Huh?"

At least your Dicks sells handgun ammo...ours nearby doesn't even stock anything but rifle and shotgun...I asked why and got the same "Huh?" answer

Clerk: Don't ya want the rest of this ammo

Customer: No...you got stupid all over it and I'm afraid of being infected...

Pffffftt!

LOL

So, uh, was that really the customer in front of you... wink, wink, nudge, nudge

Oh how i wish I had been this clever...thinking this guy would be a hoot on the range!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in my favorite local gun shop today. They have always been the kind of shop that would not end up on this list.

Guy walks in and wants a good digital scale. The owner says there is only one digital scale on the market that will calibrate and stay accurate, The MTM. surprise.gif

He goes on to say how all the big names like, RCBS, Hornady, DILLON, are no good and won't work at all.

Ugh......

We have a gun store in town now that is owned by some guys I used to see out and about. I have never been in the mood to enter a gun store any more. I go in last Friday, I have a bit of time to kill. It was a waste of time. Poor selection, poor knowledge, just too bad. But they had a lot of ARs, and SOCOM IIs. Also they had some itty-bitty pump guns that looked illegal, and must be classified as pistols to be legal.

I wish I could remember anything funny said there. It was just bad, and un-entertaining.

JZ

Two quick ones.

1. Few month's ago, I saw a Norinco 1911A1 for sale, here's the description: Pistol made in China in 1911, condition A1, the pistol was used by a chinese Government General during WW1. Very rare - collector piece, come with a 10rnd mag limited to 7 by law. Need to sell, only 850$.

I just stopped laughing...

2. I went to a local hunting store to buy some .223 ammo.

Me: Hi, I need .223 ammo.

Clerk: ?

Me: 223 remington, varmint caliber. Prmary caliber of our armed forces?

Clerk: We don't have weird caliber here, the only Rimfire we have is .22lr, but I can give you 22 hornet if you think it can fit?

Me: Hmm, forget about this...

Or another things drive me crazy is the "talking machine clerk", you know, the guy who can't stop talking.

I have two local store where I go when I need general shooting supplies, like brushes, cleaner, occasional ammo, etc. I'm a shooter, not an hunter, but I don,t know why, those guy can't stop talking about their laset hunt, trying to convince me I need someting better than a 308 for deer, moose or polka dot whale, helllloooooo I don't care, I just want to punch holes in a "shit" of paper... They are cool, but I don't care, the only thing I want is a box of this new .308 to test it...

But sometimes, can be hard to be on the "bad side" of the counter.

Was in a store recently when a customer came in, moaning to get his riflescope boresighted, get his rifle, a 700 BDL out of his case, and point it to me and clerk by wanting to put it on the counter.

Me: Please, don't point your gun in our direction.

Clerk : Yes, take care please

Customer: Muh, it's unloaded

clerk: But as your bolt is closed, we can't tell.

Customer: You're sissy... (laughing)

Clerk: Put your gun in the rifle stand, we'll look for your scope.

Customer: Ok

Clerk: Just to be sure before I touch the gun, can you open it please.

Customer: muhmujmm

And as he opened it, yes, you're right, a cartridge was ejected and fell on the ground, and the mag was full...

Do I need to say the customer was so shamefull, and we we're a little angry!

"And as he opened it, yes, you're right, a cartridge was ejected and fell on the ground, and the mag was full..."

Crap, my stomach lurched as I read that!!! :surprise::surprise:

You would be SURPRISED how often that happens. Helped a buddy out and its amazing how many "unloaded" guns had one in the pipe. Heck my dad received a gun in for a transfer that was shipped to him that was loaded as well "oh sorry we must have forgot to check it"