Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo boxes?

Sarge

I have been using factory ammo boxes but it is obvious they are not going to hold up. I have seen plastic ammo boxes, tupperware, ziplock bags, small buckets, even 3"pvc with screw on caps. What are you all using to carry ammo in inside the stage bag?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the mtm cases (I pick them up at the local Academy Sports)....holds 100 rounds and allows me to check primers....I carry all my ammo in these boxes local and major matches...keeps everything organized..got around 25 of them...

I use the Dillon ammo boxes, but actually transfer the ammo from them to a Dillon Border Shift bag at the match. I'll dump two in the bag for the morning stages of a big match and then another one or two for the afternoon stages. I still case gauge and check primers after I load the ammo, but it's a nice final check and makes it easy to track the # of rounds through the gun by counting how many rounds I have left after the match and compare that with what I started off with. R,

I'm picky about ammo. After it's been boxed and all the primers checked, I chamber check all rounds. I then put them a small tupperware container that comes with luncheon meat my wife buys. These containers hold about 250-260 rounds of 9 major. One container for a local match, two for a major.

Folgers plastic coffee can

That is something like what I was thinking! Boxes just seem tedious when reloading between stages etc. Like Chris K said sometimes there are just too many in the mix to use boxes.

For practice I use 30cal ammo cans. For matches I use Dillon 100rd boxes. My CED backpack takes 2 of the 100 round boxes in the bottom ammo compartment. I alos like the ammo boxe for matches as it allows me a second look at the primers after they were case gauged.

Randy

I've been using Dillon 50-rd blue boxes and some misc 100-rd boxes (sorta soft plastic but not as squishy as tupperware). Their stackability is part of the reason I use 'em. The other part is they just don't seem to wear out. B)

I've used tupperware but the top would sometimes pop off in my bag (I use a backpack, not a regular range bag). I now use drawstring bags that I made with some cloth and 550 cord that had laying around. It will hold 300 rds of 9 major and since I can tie the bag shut, I don't have to worry about it spilling in my bag.

Dillon 100rd boxes. As others have said, it allows for a last inspection of primers and OAL, even though everything I take to a major match has been case guaged. Although I am not really a round counter, they also help you keep up with how many you burned at a match/practice session. They also seem to last forever.

Hurley

Folgers plastic coffee can

That is something like what I was thinking! Boxes just seem tedious when reloading between stages etc. Like Chris K said sometimes there are just too many in the mix to use boxes.

The nice thing about the ammo boxes are that you can pop all the rounds in there, run your finger over the top and check for high primers. After that I used to draw across the primers and headstamps with a sharpie to mark my brass. Eventually I ran out of the nice 100rnd boxes, so I just started using a folgers can I happened to have lying around. I have more confidence in my reloading, so I check the first few completed rounds for high primers, then crank out a few hundred, spot checking every 100 or so rounds, when I have to refill the primer tube.

Now when I reload, I fill up the blue bin on the 650, dump them into the folgers can, then prop the can up to the ramp and continue filling straight into the can.

There aren't many people shooting 45 ACP in USPSA so marking brass is not such a big deal, as they're usually easy to spot.

I have a 308 surplus ammo can, which weights 65lbs when full, but is just a bit too heavy to haul around. It's also very noisy which is a problem when I'm getting up early and preparing for matches.

You guys that don't know where to find Hornady One Shot or just bolted your bench together for your press...

It a good idea to get and use some plastic ammo boxes. It allows you another time or two (loading and unloading the boxes) to handle and inspect your ammo. Once the box is full, you can look up and down each row...checking primers for depth and deformity, and ammo for general OAL.

Once you've made 30k of the exact same load and haven't had any bad ammo for the last 20k...then you can feel a little better about dumping it in an old sock, or whatever. :)

I still box my ammo (after case gauging) for any match that I care about my placement.

(I might still have some new Dillon 45 boxes for cheap...had a bunch land in my lap a while back.)

Three cans of One Shot here (I know where to find more if need be) and a couple big bottles of Gorilla Glue on the reloading bench along with several pounds of screws, LOL! For carrying the ammo to the match I use Cottage Cheese containers, the 24oz size. I can get 250 rounds of 9's in one, they're quite durable and work well in my bag. So far, knock wood, I haven't had one fall over or anything like that.

That's AFTER the ammo has been through the rigorous inspection process. I tried the MTM plastic boxes and yes they stack nice on the shelf for storage and grabbing a couple is easy but I find I rather just reach in the bag, grab a handful of ammo and load my mags. Shucking ammo back into them is also easy. If I need to, I'll box it back up for shelving later but if it hits the bag I know it's good match quality ammo. Every round I take to a match goes through the same inspection process.

I still box my ammo (after case gauging) for any match that I care about my placement.

To be honest, that statement kinda caught me off guard there Flex. There aren't matches I do care and matches I don't care where I place in due to gear problems. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I take the best stuff to every match. Any round that I'm not 100% confident in due to any problem doesn't go to any match. If I wouldn't take it to Nationals I wouldn't bring it down to Circleville.

To be honest, that statement kinda caught me off guard there Flex. There aren't matches I do care and matches I don't care where I place in due to gear problems. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I take the best stuff to every match. Any round that I'm not 100% confident in due to any problem doesn't go to any match. If I wouldn't take it to Nationals I wouldn't bring it down to Circleville.

I think this is like the hygienist at the dentist telling you to only floss between the teeth you want to keep....

I have always used the mtm, or Berry 100 rnd plastic boxes. I recently tried the Dillon boxes, and I now prefer them. They are alot tougher then the others. I have noticed alot of the older competitors using odd containers, like cardboard boxes, and coffee cans. I always thought I was just too fussy and anal about my ammo. Nice to know I am not the only one.