Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo boxes?

Sarge

You guys that don't know where to find Hornady One Shot or just bolted your bench together for your press...

It a good idea to get and use some plastic ammo boxes. It allows you another time or two (loading and unloading the boxes) to handle and inspect your ammo. Once the box is full, you can look up and down each row...checking primers for depth and deformity, and ammo for general OAL.

Once you've made 30k of the exact same load and haven't had any bad ammo for the last 20k...then you can feel a little better about dumping it in an old sock, or whatever. :)

I still box my ammo (after case gauging) for any match that I care about my placement.

(I might still have some new Dillon 45 boxes for cheap...had a bunch land in my lap a while back.)

Flex that hurts man. As for my work bench, anything I build is way over built and strength wise I would put it up against yours or anyone elses anyday.

As for the one shot remark, I don't think Chris Keen would appreciate that. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Just kiddin'. Even though I have not loaded 30k I still check my ammo and so far have had no problems with ammo I checked and thought was ok.

Edited by sandman78

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Olhasso turned on me on to the cardboard Factory Ammo Boxes and Trays that Midway sells. I bought 100 of the 9mm boxes before our move 2.5 years ago, I'm still using them....

I've probably retired about 25 of the boxes now, saving the trays that are still in good shape, as Midway sells the boxes either with or without trays....

Using them gives me the opportunity to do a final check for high primers and for major OAL discrepancies. It also makes grabbing 10 rounds at a time easier --- I predominantly shoot production, so that matters.....

...It a good idea to get and use some plastic ammo boxes. It allows you another time or two (loading and unloading the boxes) to handle and inspect your ammo. Once the box is full, you can look up and down each row...checking primers for depth and deformity, and ammo for general OAL.

Once you've made 30k of the exact same load and haven't had any bad ammo for the last 20k...then you can feel a little better about dumping it in an old sock, or whatever. :)

I still box my ammo (after case gauging) for any match that I care about my placement...(

+1

Dillon ammo boxes after:

Roll sizing

Tumbling

Spraying with One Shot

Tumbling

Case Gauging

Yeah...I'm anal, but you ought to see kevinc's ammo boxes. :D

Rich

+1

And, Rich, my therapist tells me that it's time for me to move beyond that, now...

:roflol:

I have not been to any matches yet, other than being a spectator (just went to my first USPSA local match last Saturday), so I cannot chime in on transporting to/from matches. I can, however, offer my .02 about general storage and transport to/from the range. I agree that the Dllon boxes are the toughest and best quality I have found so far. For storage on the shelf, I have them separated by color. I use Dillon boxes primarily for .45, as that is most of what I shoot. The others are whatever brand I can find on sale, so some are Frankford, MTM, etc. I found a great deal that another member posted here about Battenfeld Technologies having a sale on their boxes. I have a good part of my ammo in ammo boxes (and yes, the ammo is in boxes in the ammo box), but for the "grab off the shelf" ammo, I have them separated by color. There is some redundancy, but it is pretty easy to tell the .380 boxes from 40/45. Yes, I know, it is a bit anal; however, I feel better after reading that I am not the only one!

I don't have OCD, I don't have OCD, I don't have OCD... :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

.30 cal GI surplus ammo cans. $6 each can.

I always bring a second pistola with me as a backup, especially to major matches so with the Dillon range bag in one hand and the partially filled ammo can in the other it balances me out rather well.

I went to use the shoulder strap one time on my range bag and totally wrenched my back... so I am way more concerned about being balanced out as a walk from bay to bay.

I do use the Berry's, MTM, or Dillon loaded round boxes first, just to check for screwey OAL differences and high primers, then I dump the ammo into the GI ammo can.

I also use the 100 round plastic boxes. The USPSA match director at my local range taught to unload mags and reload them with exactly 10 rounds to be shure every time. I like this because all I have shot so far is production and L-10. Makes shure of the round count in the mags.

After my trip to the ER last Friday, I now have THIS!... but prior, I have been using the Frankford 100 round boxes.

I guess you don't have to worry about anyone else handling your ammo -- or shaking your hand after you've handled your ammo.

It a good idea to get and use some plastic ammo boxes. It allows you another time or two (loading and unloading the boxes) to handle and inspect your ammo. Once the box is full, you can look up and down each row...checking primers for depth and deformity, and ammo for general OAL.

I box all mine for the same reasons.

major match ammo gets boxed, but recently I've just been using an uber cheap mesh stuff sack that I found somewhere. I bought three of these for like 2 bucks, some of that really cheap camping gear with the green cardboard backing at like Sportsman warehouse or whatever. I just chuck a bunch from the loose filled ammo can I use to store reloaded ammo.

I use one of the many empty Precision Bullets boxes that I have lying around. It's a perfect fit in my Green Mountain bag. I also use them for collecting empty brass on the range and sorting at home.reload3.jpg

For me, the major advantage of boxing my ammo is that I can tell at a glance how much I have and how much I've shot. I keep a coffee can and a bag around for loose rounds after a match, but I never really know how much ammo is in there. One glance at my clear Berry's boxes and I know exactly what I have.

Edited by bbbean

I use the plastic containers with screw on lid that almonds, peanuts, etc come it. The contain holds about 300 rds of ammo. I use two of them to store ammo for the match. I given several away to shooting buddies.

T

I carried 50 and 100 round plastic CaseGuard boxes for years.

Since I've started shooting Steel Challenge, though, I've changed to:

1. Directly from the reloader, place the rounds into the above boxes until I hit a 40 count in order to check the primers, then...

2. Drop them into sandwich sized ziplock bags (with bullet and powder grain written clearly on front) in batches of 40. I do this since I shoot single stack with 5 magazines on my person (not counting the topper-offer in my pants leg); this way if I run all mags dry, I have the perfect amount to fill the mags up again.

3. I pack 8 ziplock bags in my range bag, which will give me 8 Steel Challenge stages plus plenty of extra in case I'm having a REALLY bad day (If I'm attending a non-Steel Challenge match and I don't want to lug that many rounds, I just leave the extra bags in the truck but always have them on hand "just in case")

I've switched to the ziplocks since I got tired of being tired from lugging a huge range bag, and I've found that the ziplocks take up less room than the plastic boxes. There's also less fumbling that with the plastic boxes, methinks.

i saw some guys at our last match using these:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9...__039__Ammo_Bag

Ive been thinking about getting a couple of em.

I have one, and it's very nice. But I don't use it the way it is intended for. Like the posters above, I count rounds in and out of my mags, and can't do that dumping into any sort of bulk container (also if the used mag has dropped into the dirt/mud/gravel, I don't want rounds in with the clean ammo until I can clean off the stuff that might cause malfs).

So small boxes of match ammo, or occasionally larger boxes of practice ammo, go into the Dillon bag. Used brass goes into a ziplock or the empty box (i.e., I don't used the other compartment in the Border Shift bag at all).