Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo boxes?

Sarge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI. Went with Dillon 100 round boxes. No regrets.

I second that. The lids on the mtm boxes would not stay open while I filled them or filled my mags from them. The Dillon boxes will sit completely open and then snap shut. It seems that the Dillon plastic would wear out quickly but people claim they last for a long time. The Dillon boxes are also very inexpensive.

Peanut butter jars are my favorite. I eat a lot of peanut butter and have kept ammo in them for years. Put a label on the lid and write what is in the jar in pencil. When you empy it, erase the info and refill. Skippy or Jiff make the best ones, real sturdy. Bshooter.

I have been using factory ammo boxes but it is obvious they are not going to hold up. I have seen plastic ammo boxes, tupperware, ziplock bags, small buckets, even 3"pvc with screw on caps. What are you all using to carry ammo in inside the stage bag?

surplus ammo cans hold approx. 800 rounds and keep ammo dry

• 2 weeks later...

Midway has white unlabeled factory style ammo boxes with styrofoam trays. Components are available bundled or separately. I've been using them for ~ 4 years now, and it looks like I'll need to order some new cardboard boxes to replace the 20-25 most used ones out of my initial order of a 100. The trays seem impossible to kill. Shooting production I find them handier than the dillon/MTM/Frankford plastic boxes....

I still drop-gauge everything, I'm not at the 10K mark for reloading and I still find a high primer or long load every once in a while. Since it's drop-gauged, no need for ammo boxes to check them again. I used Dillon and Frankfort Arsenal blue boxes for a while, but it seemed like a slow hassle to pluck out cartridges one at a time to load mags. Now all they do is sit on my bench and match the other blue stuff.

Stored ammo goes in military ammo boxes. For the range bag, I use a heavy clear plastic waterproof box about 2x4x6, the type used by people that canoe/camp. It has a hinged lid, two latches, and holds about 125 rounds. If I can ever find another one at Gander, I'll buy one more.

Various --

A while back I got a deal on Winchester 9mm FMJ. 2000 bullets came packed 100 to a pack in plastic ziploc bags. The bags are heavy-duty, and each bag holds 100 rounds of loaded 9mm. They store in mil surplus ammo cans just fine.

For .45 & .38/.357, I go with salvaged commercial boxes, primarily (.45 will fit fine in .40 boxes). I do have a bunch of plastic boxes (mainly MTM) that I got for cheap at a flea market.

Print a bunch of labels for the boxes, and good to go (for those who would want it, I've attached files for the label-- for those who haven't used the labeling function, just use Word, and select 'Tools', 'Letters and Mailings', 'Envelopes and Labels', 'Labels' to get the labels wizard. On the 'Options' button choose 'Avery standard' for Label Products and '816 - Address' for Product number. Then choose 'New Document', and open the file. Avery 8160 prints out 30 labels to a page.

Edited to add one more step . . .

Again for those not conversant with Word, if you need to change the labels, under the 'Edit' function, you can use the Replace function to change the labels if you load something less than a .45.

45_acp_reloading_labels.doc

Edited by Punkin Chunker