Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For USPSA shooting only.............A shooting friend and I were talking today about it after a match. I bought a XD-9 Tactical and then a backup XD-9 Tactical for a backup. Never used the backup. Same thing for my SP-01.....have two and only use one. Had two open guns.......Only used one..........Same goes for my open shotgun, AR-15 & etc. My partner went further and said if his primary gun went down he would get it fixed anyways and not go to the backup (which he has in his safe).

Has anyone used a backup??? Even from a fellow shooter? I'm thinking the "backup" is a myth!!

I carry a complete spare parts kit to matches with me.... Assembled into the convenient form of a spare gun already sighted in and tested. I've gone to it only rarely, but once at the Nationals is enough ;)

Lots of posts on this topic, but the way I do it is once a gun is getting old, I get a replacement. The old one sticks around as the backup/practice gun. Repeat as needed.

I used to think the same thing, even had an Open upper made for my backup Limited gun because I never used it. But, like shred says, once they get a few miles on them, things happen. Needed a backup at the annual ICORE match when the hand spring broke, finished the match with a fellow squad members revolver. Also needed a backup when my Glock 17 striker spring gave up during a match. If you can manage it, backups are a nice thing.

The nice thing about a backup gun providing it is identical to the primary gun vs replacing parts etc is the fact that you can remained focused on shooting. The more distractions you can eliminate the better your performance will be. I have backup guns for Open, Limited, SS and revolver that are identical. I don't ever shoot Production.

Yes. Primarily shoot S_I frame now, so until 2 months ago I had to bring along one of my older Paras, which also meant another set of mags. Now with Benny Hill number two I just tote two limited blasters and one set of mags, one set of ammo, one holster, ect.

Now, just need another open gun....

BTW, do the same with AR's too, have a primary shooter and bring a back-up also. Don't have two semi-auto scatterguns, yet.... May thumb my nose at Merlin and get a 1100---'er, I mean a 550, as a back up. :cheers:

I've repaired a gun that went down during a side stage at a state match, had spare parts in the range bag. I was RO'ing a state match and loaned my gun (I didn't need it I shot the previous day) to a competitor after his gun doubled on my stage.

I have a backup Open blaster and had to use it for about two months at the beginning of this year while my primary was having its trigger group replaced and tuned. I was damned glad to have it or I would have been shooing Production at this year's Florida Open.

I have 2 different sets of open guns both identical. I tend to practice with 1 and shoot matches with the other. Teh same in limited. I tend to duplicate whatever setup I find I like other than shotguns. I have 1 of each (limited and open).

I posted a similar topic last year or the year before and I've never been able to let it down!!!

Pete

Pete, that's live it down. Besides you didn't want to shoot any matches till you got the backup gun :roflol: Most shooters will use an older gun for a backup, not have one built specifically. I carry my 5" limited gun as a spare since I now shoot a 6".

I managed to sell off both of my backups, leaving me with but one pistol to run in Limited. I managed to break my mag catch into 2 pieces on Saturday, and spent Sunday loading ammo instead of shooting it at my local match as I had planned. :huh: I am working on rectifying that situation pronto, believe me.

From reading the posts, it seems everybody thinks it's a good idea,

or they needed a backup once.

Guess I'm the unluckiest IPSC shooter in the world, because I've

gone to a backup at least five times in one year.

Once the C-More on my new Trubor loosened.

Another time my extractor went

The other three times, my front sight shot loose or blew off.

The last time, I forgot to bring my backup, and another shooter

was kind enough to loan my his Beretta.

(I know, I'm in line to bring that gun to EGW to have some

serious work done, including new sights):))

Made my first trip to a major that I decided required flying to this year (FL Open). A buddy of mine loan me his backup gun to take along; half way through the match I was shooting the backup after a visit from Mr. Murphy.... I've driven to a bunch of majors and never taken a backup but in the case of the FL Open I'm sure glad I did. If I had spent all that money and only gotten to shoot part of the match I would have been ready to beat my head off the wall. ;)

Edited by j2fast

I think a back-up gun is like an unbrella ... if you have one, you are probably not going to need it. If you do NOT have one, you are likely going to need it.

I have, thankfully, not needed to resort to a back-up, but have loaned it out to less fortunate folks before, on several occasions.

I posted a similar topic last year or the year before and I've never been able to let it down!!!

Pete

Pete, that's live it down. Besides you didn't want to shoot any matches till you got the backup gun :roflol: Most shooters will use an older gun for a backup, not have one built specifically. I carry my 5" limited gun as a spare since I now shoot a 6".

I guess you're right. I wasn't shooting last year and looking at building a backup gun??? Doesn't really make that much sense. Anyways, I have about 4 or 5 backup limited guns and I don't even shoot limited and I have my new backup open gun coming in another week or two. I think it's only a good idea if you have the money. Plus, it gives you an excuse to buy a new gun. :cheers:

I definitely have a backup gun and have used it. I shoot Open so I think that's more of an issue than it would be for the other divisions. Both guns are identical make/model/etc and both (now) run. It was a mistake to let one of them accumulate 20k rounds more than the other though, as the "new" gun requires a one lb heavier spring. Subtle, but different.

Takes the stress out of even a "little" problem.

I definitely have a backup gun and have used it. I shoot Open so I think that's more of an issue than it would be for the other divisions. Both guns are identical make/model/etc and both (now) run. It was a mistake to let one of them accumulate 20k rounds more than the other though, as the "new" gun requires a one lb heavier spring. Subtle, but different.

Takes the stress out of even a "little" problem.

One of my friends uses a rotation basis for all the Open guns he has. Changes them about monthly.

My dad was on his third backup revo this weekend at area 3 after the trigger pin broke on the first one and the sear spring got lost on the second one. The two that broke broke friday. Then we left for the match early saturday morning so...

I've carried backup guns to all the matches I fly to for several years now. I normally don't mess with it for local matches. I've had to use them a few times. Sometimes for a gun breaking, other times for sights going wonky (and yes that is the technical term). I've also loaned them out a few times to folks whose guns broke or had other problems. The way I look at it is, if the match I'm shooting cost more than the gun, I'm dang well bringing a backup. The faster the Division, the more likely you are to need a backup gun it seems. Production, sometimes, but most parts can be replaced in the field, Limited, getting a little more specialized, little more prone to breakage. Open guns, you might as well travel with a gunsmith.

I understand the concept of having a backup and if one can afford it by all means do so.

But in a big match in 9 out of 10 times if it comes down to needing a backup gun your match is already over other than finishing it for the fun of it.

Because you most likely just tanked a stage big time with a gun failure which will also mess up most people for the remaining stages as well.