Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, anbrumm said:

Built a new bench over the weekend. It's been something that I've been planning on doing since we bought our house almost 2 years ago.

This was my setup before. Built for apartment reloading.

348425586_oldbench.jpg.69c3813f1efd3bec58c037609e44d99b.jpg

New bench with the 650 mounted.

984978911_newbench.jpg.2365d32599baa8689305a81bc6b048f1.jpg

Just now, Soderquist said:

Looks nice and solid. I built mine out of two layers of 3/4 plywood thinking it would be stiff enough but it still has a little flex when I work the handle.

i was going to do that, but my uncle built his with 2x10 layed flat top with 1/4 inch plywood. thats how we did this as well.

23 minutes ago, Soderquist said:

Looks nice and solid. I built mine out of two layers of 3/4 plywood thinking it would be stiff enough but it still has a little flex when I work the handle.

Did you glue between  layers? Also if you make sure your not on the edge that can help eliminate flex.

Strong mount? that would spread the load. Also you could buy an oak stear tread and cut out a 12x12 piece and mount press to that and that to the bench to help spread the load if you dont have the strong mount.

8 minutes ago, m700 said:

Did you glue between  layers? Also if you make sure your not on the edge that can help eliminate flex.

Strong mount? that would spread the load. Also you could buy an oak stear tread and cut out a 12x12 piece and mount press to that and that to the bench to help spread the load if you dont have the strong mount.

Those are some good suggestions. I did mount the press through two perforated angle steel, that helped a little. A 12x12 piece of oak would stiffen it I'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my reloading set-up.  I originally bought these presses when Obummer was driving ammo prices up. I confess that it has sat unused for the past 3 years.  Shame on me. So, I am dusting off the tools and getting ready to start loading.

Note: I like to re-engineer everything I touch so here is a case counter I added to one of my 1050s.  Also a HF vibratory tumbler I added a Gamma Seal spin off lid and timer to.  That really works good.

20200321_152038a.jpg

20200321_152038b.jpg

1e41c066-88e9-4e69-b07a-9abcb88bea13_1.3fc4329aad81eb726ad1086e0dd42c20.jpg

a1.jpg

Here's the bench in it's final form. I added LED lights under the bench so that I can see the back of each shelf fully. I made a homemade offload chute for decapping/sizing brass using a piece of hose that I had laying around. Only other thing I am considering doing at this point is to mount the case feeder separately to the bench. It still has some wiggle, and I have had a few waterfall jam ups.

final.jpg.6fd5c1bf78e8b16f643406cfc5b60cf0.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, RangerTrace said:

Mine has changed a little bit since the last photo I posted in here.  One thing remains the same and should last me and my kid a lifetime, is the drill press table......

IMG_3402.jpeg

Heya, 

Where did you find the base?

Actually, I should backtrack; I have a 1050, moved to the capital of Action Pistol -- Rio Salado (AZ).  I sold my home and moved.  Downsized significantly. I now have only about 36 inches of width for a new reloading bench.

I am looking at options.

What is the height of your bench?

I stand or sometime sit on a bar type stool. I want to get a good estimate on the height on the bench.

I'll head to Dillon tomorrow to make sure i have enough width.

I am perplexed about buying ready made or building my own.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pj benson

2 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Heya, 

Where did you find the base?

Actually, I should backtrack; I have a 1050, moved to the capital of Action Pistol -- Rio Salado (AZ).  I sold my home and moved.  Downsized significantly. I now have only about 36 inches of width for a new reloading bench.

I am looking at options.

What is the height of your bench?

I stand or sometime sit on a bar type stool. I want to get a good estimate on the height on the bench.

I'll head to Dillon tomorrow to make sure i have enough width.

I am perplexed about buying ready made or building my own.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pj benson

The Strayers (SVI) had several of them for their presses and gave me one probably 10 years ago at least.  It was badly rusted and it takes 3 men to move it, but I love it.  It's 37" tall, 48" wide and 24" long.  The table top is .38" steel plate and is an absolute PITA to drill holes in.

I'd imagine you can find used one in machine shops that go out of business..  

• 1 year later...

I have browsed this thread bit, but lack the time to read 62 pages and performed a search and did not see anything on an ideal finish for the surface of the wood for a reloading bench.  

I am in a position where I will be replacing my reloading bench surface with a 1.5" unfinished butcher block island counter top.  Since it is unfinished is there an optimal finish to use for reloading purposes.  It might be a long shot, but I would hope to get something somewhat chemical resistant.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have browsed this thread bit, but lack the time to read 62 pages and performed a search and did not see anything on an ideal finish for the surface of the wood for a reloading bench.  

I am in a position where I will be replacing my reloading bench surface with a 1.5" unfinished butcher block island counter top.  Since it is unfinished is there an optimal finish to use for reloading purposes.  It might be a long shot, but I would hope to get something somewhat chemical resistant.  

Helmsman. 3-4 coats and it’s very durable

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:33 PM, Boomstick303 said:

Just put down a large neoprene cleaning mat. The kind that has a rubberized backing so chemicals don’t seep through. Otherwise, leave that butcher block as is. Heck, I like a good wooden bench top with stains. Adds character. And if you drop anything metal on it, it absorbs the blow instead of damaging the finish on your gun.

Otherwise you may be able to get away applying an acrylic coat on it. But some cleaners may cloud it. My only other suggestion is that stuff people use to refinish their garage floors. But then you would be hiding that beautiful butcher block wood. 

Urethane looks good, and is easy to apply, cheap, and durable.  And you can always refinish it if it gets beat up.  I have a 12' wide bench with a top that's two pieces of 3/4" birch plywood sandwiched together and finished with urethane.  Also have a smaller bench with the scale and single stage press with a butcher block top.  Had some other stuff mounted on it previously and ended up plugging the holes then finished it with urethane.

Yeah, yeah, not the normal type presses for this thread or this forum, bbbuuutttt….

I bought 3 of those tool boxes before we even heard of covid.  And I bought an 8 foot long section of butcher block.

This past Saturday I bought a used Mec 9000GN in 20 gauge.

852FD38D-F427-4DE4-8373-EB8C1267D06C.thumb.jpeg.c60ccdb47943aba124eb251bfe26ebef.jpeg

The 12 gauge Mec 9000GN is on the right.

Sssooo…I guess I am gonna have to buy a 20 gauge shotgun now…

🙂 

My plan is to gang the other two boxes together, put the remaining butcher block on top of that, and then mount my two 650’s on that.

Edited by Chills1994