Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond?

firematt100

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reading about Ionbond (DLC) on other forums, it is stated that although it's almost impervious to wear, rust will occur if an area is left without oil and exposed to the elements.

Ryan, any comments as to Ionbond rusting?

If it wont wear on anything how can it rust? from what I have seen from my ion bond finish I dont think it will rust.

If there are enough KY guys interested I'm sure we could sweet talk Chuck into making some money off of us to send/recieave our guns. I have 1.5 that I would like to get done but for 300$ I'll just hardchrome.

An excellent idea! (I know I'm in OH, but close enough!) I wont' be ready to send mine out until about Feb though, gotta break it in and it tain't even here yet.

If it wont wear on anything how can it rust? from what I have seen from my ion bond finish I dont think it will rust.

The little tubes that make up the surface finish, if not filled with oil, will offer moisture a direct route to the underlying metal. Although it will take a while, if the surface is not kept oiled and the metal is exposed to body oils, moisture, etc., it will eventually rust.

I had my pistol and all my mags coated with Ionbond last year, it has performed exceptionally well. gotionbond.jpg

I will be sending a batch of titanium bolt carriers to Ionbond in the next week or two. anyone that would like to save a little money can send me their guns or parts and i will add them to my batch. please Pm me for further details.

if i get more than 10 pistols the savings improve. Could be a good Christmas present...

Steve

By my count that's three in the Ky area for a Feb send in. Me, Steel1212, and latewatch. Seven more and we can get them done for less than $200 ea. I will mention the idea to Chuck and see if he is willing.

I had my pistol and all my mags coated with Ionbond last year, it has performed exceptionally well. [see pic in post above]

I will be sending a batch of titanium bolt carriers to Ionbond in the next week or two. anyone that would like to save a little money can send me their guns or parts and i will add them to my batch. please Pm me for further details.

if i get more than 10 pistols the savings improve. Could be a good Christmas present...

Steve

pm sent

i cannot wait to have my pistol and another slide and mag bodies ionbonded.

Edited by Flexmoney
to remove the quoted pic...as it was taking forever to download for me, and I am on broadband.

Well, I just got 2 more guns back from IonBond today. My open gun and a single stack. The single stack frame was done in the new Flat Dark Earth. I was originally concerned that I'd have too much brown with the grips I bought from Mil Tac, but I think it looks awesome! The color of the grips matches the FDE perfectly. I'll be at the range tomorrow burning up some ammo.

Thanks again to Ryan for doing great work! You and Darrell are awesome.

post-6991-1195085833.jpg

post-6991-1195085908.jpg

Well, I just got 2 more guns back from IonBond today. My open gun and a single stack. The single stack frame was done in the new Flat Dark Earth. I was originally concerned that I'd have too much brown with the grips I bought from Mil Tac, but I think it looks awesome! The color of the grips matches the FDE perfectly. I'll be at the range tomorrow burning up some ammo.

Thanks again to Ryan for doing great work! You and Darrell are awesome.

is OD available yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to finally see a way to contact IonBond.

Taran website just takes you to the Corporate site. When I called them they didn't know what I was talking about, but the rep said HE was interested in having his gun done. But he didn't know how to make it happen.

So now that we have access to the real deal.

I have a Springfield XD that I would like to have the slide done on. What does a slide cost? Can you change from blued to some type of silver, stainless, chrome, etc. color?

Have only heard good things so I can't wait to try it out.

Glad to finally see a way to contact IonBond.

Taran website just takes you to the Corporate site. When I called them they didn't know what I was talking about, but the rep said HE was interested in having his gun done. But he didn't know how to make it happen.

So now that we have access to the real deal.

I have a Springfield XD that I would like to have the slide done on. What does a slide cost? Can you change from blued to some type of silver, stainless, chrome, etc. color?

Have only heard good things so I can't wait to try it out.

Page 1 of this thread has a contact phone number for Ryan at Ion Bond.

Spoke with Ryan the other day. Very friendly and explained the process of having work done, to me.

A slide alone runs $50. That includes having the sights done also, if the shooter wants them done.

Ryan said he will remove the sights either way, you just need to let him know if they are to be bonded as well. If they are FO either you can remove the FO or he will, but you will not get the rods back of course.

Colors available were black, parkerized grey, silver, and desert tan.

I asked about doing small parts like the flash suppressor on my AR's. He said parts like that would run $5.

Now I just can't make up my mind on the color I want my XD slide and sights done in.