Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things You Only Do Once -

Another Rondy story... With a lesson and some weirdness.

The Lesson

We're about 19 years old. This was back when I was first getting into guns, and the rule: "Never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy" wasn't firmly embedded into my consciousness, yet. So we're sitting around my living room, playing with my new Combat Commander. (I was so clueless, I left it in "Condition 2": Hammer down on a live round in the chamber. At that time Condition 1 was just too dangerous.) ;)

I had just racked a round in the chamber and was starting to thumb the hammer down when Rondy said: "Don't point that thing at my knee." I remember thinking that was indeed pretty silly, so I pointed the muzzle toward the wall, and lowered the hammer. Now, unless you've seen this happen you won't believe this. After an almost imperceptible delay, the gun fired. You can imagine the look on Rondy's face, and probably mine too, as we stared at each other in shock and disbelief.

The Weirdness

Back to the "imperceptible" delay. The gun didn't fire when the hammer touched the firing pin. There was just enough of delay that I remembered the sigh of relief that comes whenever you let down a hammer on a live round. It was crazy. I remember, mentally - "whew." Then BANG! We looked at the primer - it wasn't a normal looking primer indent at all. It only had the tiniest indent mark from the firing pin, and then around the indent the primer had flowed or "welled up" in area a little bit bigger than half the primer's diameter.

It's a true story. And one that I'm happy had a good ending.

be

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

had a paper route about 40 yrs ago. hung the bag on the handlebars, supported by this weird v shaped aluminum rod to stop the bag from falling on the front tire. anyways, finished my last house, driving back home and decide to remove the bag and the weird v shaped rod while riding the bike. bag came off fine, but when i took off the rod, i dropped it, and it fell behind the forks on the front wheel. what were the odds? immediately before that instant, i was going a brisk pace. in a heartbeat, every spoke on the front wheel was gone, as i augered into the pavement at light speed. wheel was no longer round. still have the scars to this day.

• 1 month later...

1.Getting my first big kids bike in the 35+ years ago, and thinking I'll zip between my house and my neighbor's. Not used to being this high up, I never observed the scenery from this angle. I found out the true meaning behind being "clotheslined". Yep, caught me right in the throat...the bike kept going after I got hung up then dumped unceremoniously in the dirt to bawl my head off.

2.My Red Ryder BB gun (another post about that later)... Mom always said not to shoot around the yard lest I shoot out a window. In my infinite wisdom, I promptly disregarded her advice and taped a paper plate to the tree on the back porch. I fired, the BB hit the tree and of course veered off 45 degrees into the sliding glass door of the rental home we were in. The sick feeling of hearing a muted crack, then watching as a small crack spiderwebbed into a bazillion cracks, then after 20 minutes or so of this agony, the entire sheet of glass disintegrating into the shag carpet in the living room. Thinking about how to explain this to mom without losing posession of the Red Ryder. I have never shot a paper plate taped to a tree since.

3.While stationed in Germany in the 80's, we had to prepare the barracks for the Inspector General's visit. Germany...think 230V everything. Our barracks is 3 stories high, and after a hard Saturday of cleaning and drinking, and more cleaning, more drinking... some intrepid soul is buffing the floors on the 3rd story. I did mention the 230V thing...the buffer machine cord looks like a super thick, strong, 100' rope if you are properly inebriated, 5,000 miles from home, and have aspirations to be Air Assault at Ft. Campbell.

While being videoed from the ground, 1st drunken soldier successfully rappels from the 3rd floor to the ground cheered on by his buddies. 2nd drunken soul also rappels successfully, but has a rather rough landing, as the cord stretched a tad at the end of his trip. It was apparently not designed to be used for rappelling soldiers. The 3rd and final brave soul exits the window and starts his uneven descent...the outraged buffer cord decides it has had enough, and SNAP... the last guy out the window proceeds to bounce off of the concrete bulding face all the way to the ground..kinda like Spiderman out of web fluid. Road rash..no skin left on forehead, hands, knees, sprained ankle...bad bad bad. I'm not going to admit which jack@ss I was , but I am glad I wasn't idiot number 3. DO NOT EVER RAPPELL WITH BUFFER CORDS.

Never shave with a straight razor whilst naked.

Nothing bad really came of it. But when I droped the razor I jumped back about three feet and the razor broke(about $100). I did actually pee on the floor too.

Yes, I still shave with a straight.

not exactly gender specific but:

I was at a local indoor IDPA club once and the last stage for the night was a Bill Drill. I finished with a respectable -0, 2.7 sec. Well, I went to unload and as I was putting the mag in my pocket (I was looking at my pocket) I thought I had cleared the gun so I pulled the trigger forgeting that I had not taken the round out of the gun. BAM, although I wasnt looking I still got a perfect head shot (it was touching the perferations for the -0 marking). It was my one AD. Things turned out fine but after then I have seriously changed my unload proceedure.

Dont tell you apartment manager of a problem in your apartment and that he can send anyone in to fix it at anytime if you sleep in the buff. I had a problem with my shower. I sleep like a log and I didnt have class until noon. I still feel bad for the handyman.

Finally, never take bets with people you don't know. I once took $5 off a guy who bet me I couldn't hit a clay pigeon at 100yds given 20 rounds. I hit it on the tenth shot. I got the $5 and he was entertained. BUT, I realized that I should never make bets with people I dont know because they might be able to perform. I dont have video to prove this story but I do have video of a similar performance by me I just have to figure out how to serve it.

I had an interesting experience last evening. Let's just say I won't be making a bed with the ceiling fan on high speed anymore. A smart person would have let go of the sheet a lot sooner... <_<

Now THAT is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Rondy story... With a lesson and some weirdness.

The Lesson

We're about 19 years old. This was back when I was first getting into guns, and the rule: "Never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy" wasn't firmly embedded into my consciousness, yet. So we're sitting around my living room, playing with my new Combat Commander. (I was so clueless, I left it in "Condition 2": Hammer down on a live round in the chamber. At that time Condition 1 was just too dangerous.) ;)

I had just racked a round in the chamber and was starting to thumb the hammer down when Rondy said: "Don't point that thing at my knee." I remember thinking that was indeed pretty silly, so I pointed the muzzle toward the wall, and lowered the hammer. Now, unless you've seen this happen you won't believe this. After an almost imperceptible delay, the gun fired. You can imagine the look on Rondy's face, and probably mine too, as we stared at each other in shock and disbelief.

The Weirdness

Back to the "imperceptible" delay. The gun didn't fire when the hammer touched the firing pin. There was just enough of delay that I remembered the sigh of relief that comes whenever you let down a hammer on a live round. It was crazy. I remember, mentally - "whew." Then BANG! We looked at the primer - it wasn't a normal looking primer indent at all. It only had the tiniest indent mark from the firing pin, and then around the indent the primer had flowed or "welled up" in area a little bit bigger than half the primer's diameter.

It's a true story. And one that I'm happy had a good ending.

be

When you are talking about AD's, there aren't but two kinds of people: those that have had them and those that are going to..

This reminds me of a couple of things I will not be doing again and both involve a ceiling fan.

Anyone that fly fishes and or owns a nice watch know how insanely expensive both can be. While assembling all nine feet of one of my prized flyrods, you guessed it, the ceiling fan converted the last three feet of graphite flyrod to missles. Fortunately G Loomis has a no questions asked warranty.

The wrist watch fell victim to stretching exercises while standing under a ceiling fan. While the watch was mangled it likely prevented a more serious injury to my wrist.

Edited by Slowhand

DO NOT allow your drunk "buddy" to toss a bowling ball (that someone left in your back seat and you have no idea who it belongs to, but you're sick of hearing it "thud" around when you turn a corner) out of a moving vehicle when you are in the proximity of curb(s) which have the geometric shape, that if hit by bowling ball, can and will vector that bowling ball (cannon ball) along a path that intersects your vehicle's path.

Trust me on this one... <_<

DO NOT allow your drunk "buddy" to toss a bowling ball (that someone left in your back seat and you have no idea who it belongs to, but you're sick of hearing it "thud" around when you turn a corner) out of a moving vehicle when you are in the proximity of curb(s) which have the geometric shape, that if hit by bowling ball, can and will vector that bowling ball (cannon ball) along a path that intersects your vehicle's path.

I don't know which is funniest, the return shot of the bowling ball or the mere fact that you had a bowling ball of unknown origin in your car...

Sad to say I remember reading an article in the newspaper years ago about an incident where some teenagers tossed an "old junky bowling ball" out of their car window on the interstate. The bowling ball went through the windshield of another car and killed the driver, who was on his honeymoon with his new wife. That story ranks among the saddest I've ever read, I'm glad history didn't repeat itself in your instance.

Sorry to post something so dreary!

Well let it be known, the ABAA (Assoc. for Bowling from Automobiles in America) prohibits the sport on major roadways.

Sad story for sure...

Sad to say I remember reading an article in the newspaper years ago about an incident where some teenagers tossed an "old junky bowling ball" out of their car window on the interstate. The bowling ball went through the windshield of another car and killed the driver, who was on his honeymoon with his new wife. That story ranks among the saddest I've ever read, I'm glad history didn't repeat itself in your instance.

Sorry to post something so dreary!

When you are talking about AD's, there aren't but two kinds of people: those that have had them and those that are going to..

+1 - Although I was sure I was one of those guys who would NEVER have an AD for any reason.

Luckily mine was benine too, but with small children in the house (my own) I felt like the worst father on the planet. The shaking took a good 10 minutes to set in and another 30 to subside.

The can of Peaches on the Pantry Shelf in the Garage was not near as fortunate as the humans, and was put down by the fateful shot. I still eat peaches, but I don't AD anymore.

5Shot

I was also positive I would never have a ND........Until last Tuesday :(

Getting ready for actually shooting some seriously forgotten rifles the next day, I thought I remembered my Ishapore "jungle carbine' had an issue chambering military brass, and I had just loaded up a bunch of mags with ammo using military brass. Inserted a mag, operated bolt, saw that the rifle had no problem chambering military brass, removed mag to prevent another round feeding when I opened the bolt, then used my USPSA-honed observation skills to observe myself pull the damn trigger!

Sent a .308 165 grain Hornady boat tail SP through the wall about 1 foot from the ceiling. From the looks of the shutter outside, the brick wall caused total fragmentation, so the forest across the street was saved. More hearing loss in my left ear.....Also observed the flash suppressor seemed pretty effective :mellow: Also now know my observation skills are far faster than my motor skills :(

I never got the shakes, I'm guessing because for a fraction of a second I knew what was about to happen. That really makes it seem 10 times more stupid than if I was surprised by the bang. My wife handed me an Eddie Eagle pamphlet the next day that my daughter had gotten from school. Same one I had given her when she ND'ed during a recent practice session.

My wife handed me an Eddie Eagle pamphlet the next day that my daughter had gotten from school. Same one I had given her when she ND'ed during a recent practice session.

Wives distribute retribution so well :lol::lol::lol:

dj