Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder comparison

Runswithwood1

I am in the market for a move to open and trying to iron out my load recipe plans. Considering the same choices. Although my brand loyalty has me considering 3n38 for 124 jhps.... But, I've not settled on anything yet. My plan is to settle on something quick and not spend weeks with mad science hour like I did with all my minor loads. Good learning experience though

Thank you everyone, yeah itll most likely be 124 jhp, I'm the same, I'm looking to get a load that runs reliably but hangs around the 170-172 PF, this is a winter project I was actually looking forward to! The open gun will be a 2011, so im hoping I can stay around the 1.16 COAL area which is what ive been running for minor loads as well

I tied Silhouette, HS6, AA7, and SWMP. Settled on SWMP. Liked it the best and at the time it was cheapest. Have several kegs. Not sure if that holds true any more? If you’re looking at aa7, I’d at least consider SWMP. 

Edited by iflyskyhigh

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I have read that SWMP is the same as AA7? I have found that SWMP took 1 grain lees than AA7 for the same velocity.

I like them both, use AA7 because at the time, SWMP was spotty on the market, I've always been able to get AA7.

That's good to hear, thank you, sounds like aa7 is what I'll go with. Just needed a little confirmation on everything 

12 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Getting ready to start loading for 9 major, I've narrowed it down to aa7 or hs6, what's everyone's opinion on which is cleaner, flatter and most of all, available? 

9.5-9.7gr will get you 167-174pf. 9.6gr is the major match load and has not failed chrono in a couple years.

SWMP and AA7 are the same formulation.  The difference is SWMP is not as consistent.  In some lots you need a full grain more to reach the same velocity. 

I prefer either.  They meter like water, are dense, and compress easily.  My standard major load is 10.8gr of either under a 115 JHP.  I get a complete powder burn with no residue.  For those of you complaining about residue, try a different lube.  I use Weapon Shield lube and solvent.  I 'clean' the pistol after three matches and literally wipe everything off.  No scrubbing required.  

I've had good luck with HS-6.  Pretty clean, readily available, good performance and it doesn't fill the case to the point that it spills out on progressive presses.  I get consistent chrono numbers even when traveling to other states for matches.  

Different powders have different burn rates

if you have the ability buy 1 pound cans of the powders mentioned, do load development for each powder then go to the range and run back to back drills to see which one that works best for you and your open gun set up

I like HS6 with silhouette a close 2nd

I tried WAC and AA7 and didn’t care for them

Edited by rishii

HS6 for me, I chose it for one reason, it does not need a compressed load to make PF in 9mm.  Compressing powder just seems wrong to me although most do it with no issues.  Worked up to a great load, gives me an average of 169 PF with 124gr RMR FP MW in my Czechmate.  

I haven't loaded any other powders for major but I use a lot of Vihtavuori powders for other loads, it seems a little cleaner. 

Good luck.

Depending on your gun some powders work better for some folks than others.... For instance I currently use AA7(and shooters world major when I could get it) Silhouette is second Hs6 I don't particularly care for. Just have to try different things to see what works for you.

I like HS-6 in my STI Trubor with 3 popple holes. I've been using 124gr conical Precision Delta and Montana Gold JHPs. I load them long at 1.180" with 8.2grs of powder. I oil the gun about every 500 rounds or sooner or else I feel the slide start to get sluggish. The gun doesn't seem that dirty and cleans easy. I've tried autocomp and prefer HS6. Here's a 10 shot string on the chrono:

Screenshot_20231228_224909_ShotView.thumb.jpg.e3994d18dce3d7c5078aba777e0e2cae.jpg

On 12/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, rishii said:

Different powders have different burn rates

if you have the ability buy 1 pound cans of the powders mentioned, do load development for each powder then go to the range and run back to back drills to see which one that works best for you and your open gun set up

I like HS6 with silhouette a close 2nd

I tried WAC and AA7 and didn’t care for them

This is the right way. You grip pressure and other factors play into the right load. AA7 and slow burning powders can cause your muzzle to dip if you have good grip pressure. With 9maj, pressure can be an issue with the faster powders. You xan also get some different dot movement and returns. The best way is as stated by rishii, by 1 lb jugs and test them till you find what you like.