Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it time to add Practical Competition Shooting League to the USPSA/IDPA forums?

mreed911

My opinion is leave it alone.  If you want to run matches that's great.  When you start adding a classification system now someone needs to organize a system for it.  That costs money.  If this thing gets as big as USPSA someone needs to be at the head of the table and I'm almost certain that that person will want to be compensated for their time and now were just circling back to the whole USPSA drama.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Dchassejr said:

My opinion is leave it alone.  If you want to run matches that's great.  When you start adding a classification system now someone needs to organize a system for it.  That costs money.  If this thing gets as big as USPSA someone needs to be at the head of the table and I'm almost certain that that person will want to be compensated for their time and now were just circling back to the whole USPSA drama.

Yeah, someone needs to be in charge but it doesn't need to be a organization where we vote on a BOD either. IDPA is private for profit company for example. 

It would cost money, but if Max setup a classification system he could make it subscription based, so if you're a shooter that wants to be classified you pay into a system that tracks it. Now at matches you can register as your classification. If you don't want to buy into the classification system you could register as unclassified similar to USPSA and you're only in the running for Overall Division wins. 

Not a crazy idea. 

Also, wouldn't have to necessarily have 10,000 classifiers like USPSA. Could design 5 or 10 classifiers, or one big classifier stage that a club could set once or twice a year loke IDPA if they wanted. Then people that shot that and wanted classification could send in five bucks or something and now their classified. Make a rule so you can only shoot it once or twice a year per division.

Yes I'm sure there would be grandbaggers but, then they would just finish bad at majors

Way less work for a headquarters, and way cheaper and easier for everybody else

23 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

It was voted on during the 2001 General Assembly at the European Championships in Germany. I don't think the classification has been used much at Major matches, probably due to a lack of interest.

The original IPSC classification stages were mostly USPSA classifiers with the targets swapped out.

I have an IPSC "Class medal" from winning my class at a Level III IPSC match decades ago.  Looks like an IPSC Presidents Medal except smaller-- about 1-1/4" diameter and on a white ribbon.  Vince Pinto had to tell me what it was after they handed it to me at awards.

Since then it appears nobody at IPSC has cared to maintain or mess with worldwide classifications at all.  And yet they still manage to hold 1000-shooter matches heads-up-order-of-finish.

5 hours ago, mreed911 said:

I read your initial reply asking what it stood for as sarcastic (referencing their smallness/newness) and made the point that the effort to do that vs. doing one simple Google search that would have gotten the answer seemed a bit disingenuous.

It's small and lesser known, but all of their information is freely available online.

Basic middle school grammar.
First time you use an abbreviation or acronym define it.
And if you use one no one has heard of, maybe dont get butthurt when some one asks what it is.
Just google it ? umm yeh same could be said about alot of discussions we have.. But thats why we have a forum, to discuss things, ask and answer question. 

Our club has a 4 stage monthly night PCSL match. It is my favorite match to shoot. Mostly because of the action steel stages but also the K zone hit and some options on stages where you may not want to have to reload.

If I had to choose between USPSA and PCSL I would choose PCSL every time. I admit the MD and club had a lot to do with it too.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, mreed911 said:

Almost like someone should invent a thing where you can post information everyone can read... give it a standardized name... and make it easy to search.  "pcsl shooting" got me the first result on my search.

Fixed the title for you.  

On 8/17/2023 at 10:57 PM, ChuckS said:

I am not exactly sure when they started this but I think was during the Vince Pinto era... I have never seen IPSC classifications used at major matches ...

I have never seen classifications used at any IPSC Matches. I guess most just don't see the point. If you keep placing well, you are pretty good. If you keep getting 60% Match Scores, you also ran.

Our club has a Level II Match coming up. 3 out of 151 competitors seem to HAVE a classification. The rest are Unclassified.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

got a post on facebook about a 2 gun version in south central Kansas, like this weekend,, for some reason not thinking it will be well attended...
they do have the stages published, and there are brown/white/red targets.. Looks like every stage is 2 gun,, but really not sure if its every stage you use 2 guns or you only use one depending on what you signed up for and WSB is just designed for both.. Also color coding ? guessing whites are no shoots, but not sure now based on some of the target counts. 
Looks like alot of running, basically what USPSA became, with different scoring and less divisions.
Seems most of the stages are listed as "classifiers"

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

got a post on facebook about a 2 gun version in south central Kansas, like this weekend,, for some reason not thinking it will be well attended...
they do have the stages published, and there are brown/white/red targets.. Looks like every stage is 2 gun,, but really not sure if its every stage you use 2 guns or you only use one depending on what you signed up for and WSB is just designed for both.. Also color coding ? guessing whites are no shoots, but not sure now based on some of the target counts. 
Looks like alot of running, basically what USPSA became, with different scoring and less divisions.
Seems most of the stages are listed as "classifiers"

I'm pretty sure browns are pistol, whites are rifle, and reds are no shoot. I have not been to one of their matches but I've watched them on videos and that seems to be what's going on.

10 hours ago, RJH said:

May be very good timing 

Seems like it couldn’t have popped up at a better time right. I’ve got a local club that’s going to run them. I may check them out on the chance I don’t feel like shooting open 

8 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Seems like it couldn’t have popped up at a better time right. I’ve got a local club that’s going to run them. I may check them out on the chance I don’t feel like shooting open 

Pretty sure they have open division too

in the

4 hours ago, RJH said:

Pretty sure they have open division too

In the 2 gun rules they only have open handguns other than mag length... Not sure why they bothered with that.  with no power factor  the other differences dont seem to amount to much,, Suppressor and Slide vs frame optic. 
I would think a simple optic/ iron divisions woulda made more sense.. As it is now looks to be optic only game.
Also the carbine rules seem screwy to me,,, a pistol caliber carbine puts you into open, needing to be paired with a frame mounted 170mm mag handgun.
WHere as a rifle caliber you shoot a basically CO rules pistol.

If it was less than an hour away, I'd shoot it in fair weather at least once. If it wasnt on an Icore or SC weekend...  Looks like its a bit over 2 though.

Edited by Joe4d

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

in the

In the 2 gun rules they only have open handguns other than mag length... Not sure why they bothered with that.  with no power factor  the other differences dont seem to amount to much,, Suppressor and Slide vs frame optic. 
I would think a simple optic/ iron divisions woulda made more sense.. As it is now looks to be optic only game.
Also the carbine rules seem screwy to me,,, a pistol caliber carbine puts you into open, needing to be paired with a frame mounted 170mm mag handgun.
WHere as a rifle caliber you shoot a basically CO rules pistol.

If it was less than an hour away, I'd shoot it in fair weather at least once. If it wasnt on an Icore or SC weekend...  Looks like its a bit over 2 though.

Pistol divisions would equate to open, limited optics, and limited. All scored minor

The two gun divisions the pistols are either an open pistol or a limited optics pistol. I would also suspect the reason that they separated the divisions out was for people who already participate in multi-gun. Modified and open are the big divisions and multi-gun matches now and the pscl rules kind of follow those

I think allowing PCC in open only in two gun is just to keep from having 400 divisions. If you want the bonus of PCC you are in open. And since the pistols aren't much different like you said, shouldn't be a big deal for anybody.

I think you just have to draw a line somewhere and call it good. As time has shown in other shooting sports, you can't please everybody

what bonus is there in PCC ? other than cost of ammo ? a 300 AAC running subs can be dialed down pretty soft. I imagine a 5.7  could as well. Guess I dont have any 2 gun experience. Probably make more sense if I shot it.

I've been competing in USPSA, IDPA 3-GUN, steel shoots, and various Run n Gun matches for over 24 years. I shot a PCSL 2 gun match in November. A lot of fun. Rules, including those for type of target engaging, are fairly straightforward and simple. There seems to be a reasonable amount of deviation from standard USPSA matches that should make this user friendly to all experience/skill levels and keep it challenging enough for top level status shooters.                                         Like any new format I'm sure it will go through a few modifications as time goes on and match directors that embrace it give their feedback. I plan on running local club matches based on PCSL and it's flexible guidelines.

All that being said I would like to see PCSL have its own forum here. There seems to be enough merit to warrant it. A forum would certainly help promote  the sport and create an awareness of it.

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

saw some videos of a match, basically a track meet with a bit of shooting.

I guess that's up to the match directors discretion. The one I was at had a tremendous amount of shooting with a reasonable amount of movement. Lots of flexibility to have it tailored for each clubs/ matches desires.

5 minutes ago, Zachjet said:

What’s the down side to making its own section? 

Housekeeping.

When it gets big/popular enough to justify it's own forum, we'll consider it then.

Thx.