Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it time to add Practical Competition Shooting League to the USPSA/IDPA forums?

mreed911

Now that PCSL has a published ruleset, planned matches, etc., is it time to add them to the existing USPSA/IDPA forums here (rules, announcements, discussions)?

After watching a video today I went and looked at the rule book, planned match list, etc. and I'll probably spend more time going through it later but it looks interesting.  Also looks very much still in progress.

I searched, but outside of a specific USPSA politics thread I didn't find another mention of it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read about it a little bit and watch some videos. There's definitely some interesting things there, but I have not shot a match under those rules. I think overall it looks pretty interesting though

I have attendee two of Max's 2 Gun matches that institute his PCSL rule set in St. George, UT.  They were both excellent matches.  The PCSL targets with the Kilo Zone (essentially the head box) where one shot counts as two alphas, create some cool possibilities for stage design and stage strategy for shooters.  

He has tried to create a rule set that mostly comes from common sense.  It removes a lot of the dumb stuff shooters gripe about in regards to other organization's shooting rule sets.  While a solid rule set and it's not perfect it is evolving  and shows great potential.  Max seems pretty open to input.

I started a 2-Gun Only designated match I run three times a summer last year and we have instituted the PCSL rule set and target.  The match is very popular and essentially fills up with 65-70 shooters for each match.  I believe our monthly Carbine match at one of the local gun ranges has also moved to PCSL targets and possibly will move to the rule set in the near future.  I think the 1 Gun (Pistol) rule set needs some work, but like I said the rule set is evolving.

There already is some talk in our section of some clubs possibly switching from USPSA to PCSL or an alternative rule set.  One of the shooters has taken it upon himself to create an entire independent rule set not associated with any other rule set.  

I do not think the organization realizes the damage they have done, and continue to do.  

I do think with the addition of a classification system, and a few more area type matches it would take off a lot quicker. I know a lot of USPSA shooters poo poo the classification system, but there's a bunch of people that like it. 

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

What does it even stand for?

Almost like someone should invent a thing where you can post information everyone can read... give it a standardized name... and make it easy to search.  "pcsl shooting" got me the first result on my search.

10 minutes ago, louu said:

Put me in the boat of gotta have classifiers for me to care. But yeah I'm tired of the BS going on at uspsa. I really wish we could just have ipsc 

No classifiers at ipsc unless they changed something or I am forgetting something lol

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Good deal. Did they not have them for a long time or something? For some reason I seem to remember that but I don't keep up with IPSC because I do know there's a couple of things that I really don't like about it, so I probably ain't shooting it LOL

17 minutes ago, RJH said:

Good deal. Did they not have them for a long time or something? For some reason I seem to remember that but I don't keep up with IPSC because I do know there's a couple of things that I really don't like about it, so I probably ain't shooting it LOL

I am not exactly sure when they started this but I think was during the Vince Pinto era... I have never seen IPSC classifications used at major matches but then, I hardly pay attention to their majors other than to see if Eric if feeling well 😉

25 minutes ago, RJH said:

Did they not have them for a long time or something?

It was voted on during the 2001 General Assembly at the European Championships in Germany. I don't think the classification has been used much at Major matches, probably due to a lack of interest.

UK had its own classification based on match results from 'Graded Matches' held across the region. I suspect other countries may have their own systems too.

3 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

It was voted on during the 2001 General Assembly at the European Championships in Germany. I don't think the classification has been used much at Major matches, probably due to a lack of interest.

UK had its own classification based on match results from 'Graded Matches' held across the region. I suspect other countries may have their own systems too.

I guess that they were not doing it at Major matches what I was thinking of. 

Which in reality, if you're not going off of classification at majors, what's the point

I never saw it broken down by classification at any Level 4 or 5 matches that I shot, though it was a long time ago. Only the top three in each division and category were recognized.

IPSC saw it as a potential source of revenue, it just never took off.

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

There already is some talk in our section of some clubs possibly switching from USPSA to PCSL or an alternative rule set.  One of the shooters has taken it upon himself to create an entire independent rule set not associated with any other rule set.  

I do not think the organization realizes the damage they have done, and continue to do.  

There is a club here that is also working up their own game with goals to spread it to other clubs. Their target is more IDPA, but in the past a club wanting to abandon IDPA would likely become a USPSA club.

I've been helping get another small local club off the ground, we're running matches with no real rule book right now but are looking into what organization to affiliate with. As much as I love USPSA, PCSL sound pretty good. We'll see what happens I guess. 

But, yeah I don't think they realize what's going on. Or maybe they don't care I don't know. 

Side note, as others mentioned I think a classification system is probably a must have to attract the normlies of the shooting world. 

26 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Side note, as others mentioned I think a classification system is probably a must have to attract the normlies of the shooting world. 

I think we are fixing to find out in the next year or two for certain.

8 hours ago, mreed911 said:

Almost like someone should invent a thing where you can post information everyone can read... give it a standardized name... and make it easy to search.  "pcsl shooting" got me the first result on my search.

I can't tell if you are being rude or not.  I seriously had never heard of this sport until this thread.  

9 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I can't tell if you are being rude or not.  I seriously had never heard of this sport until this thread.  

I read it as sarcastic but making a point. PCSL is gaining a little traction, there are matches here on the east coast and I believe Max is in the west so it's spreading. But, I don't really see much talk about it either. From a shooting stand point it's still a Hit Factor Scored shooting game with less division. It'd be nice to see more talk of it, but I don't know that it's needs it's own sub forum yet. 

12 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I read your initial reply asking what it stood for as sarcastic (referencing their smallness/newness) and made the point that the effort to do that vs. doing one simple Google search that would have gotten the answer seemed a bit disingenuous.

It's small and lesser known, but all of their information is freely available online.

Edited by mreed911

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

I read your initial reply asking what it stood for as sarcastic (referencing their smallness/newness) and made the point that the effort to do that vs. doing one simple Google search that would have gotten the answer seemed a bit disingenuous.

It's small and lesser known, but all of their information is freely available online.

I work a full time job, do some moderating on here and have a 10 year old kid.  So, sometimes I simply don't have the time to google the answer.  Had it been Saturday/Sunday morning, maybe.  No sarcasm then or now.