Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA President Out?

ltdmstr

3 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I just read the minutes.  While perhaps not a perfect solution, I am satisfied with the decisions and believe the board is trying to act in the best interest of all ... the president, AD4, and the members.

We do not live in a perfect world and this is certainly NOT a perfect situation.  We have lemons ... They've made lemonade.  Best analogy I've got ...

Appears like they're selectively trying to apply the same bylaw here.

It's quite the double standard. They had fully removed Yee Min from the USPSA contact list until this morning. Yee Min at least has the possibility of having his RO cert brought back, while Mel should have not been allowed to take office per the Bylaw... also, it doesn't look like the BOD even has the power to give Mel an extension to get his RO cert

https://www.se4nonprofits.com/blog/qa-49-can-a-nonprofit-board-of-directors-vote-to-temporarily-suspend-a-provision-in-the-bylaws

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct; The BOD is violating their own bylaws, and they should have confirmed A4D eligibility before he took office. 

And per the bylaws, his position should have been declared vacant immediately.

Edited by BritinUSA

54 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

We do not live in a perfect world and this is certainly NOT a perfect situation.  We have lemons ... They've made lemonade.  Best analogy I've got ...

Except that they themselves produced the lemons with their poorly thought out bylaw.

DNROI still has the power to remove any board member for any reason, real or imagined.

they are still selectively applying the rule differently to 2 different board members.

The YML situation is only put off until his appeal has happened. The fact that he was scrubbed from the USPSA web page before the last meeting even happened seems to indicate that someone in the power structure wants him gone. And they jumped the gun without considering the blowback. 

5 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Except that they themselves produced the lemons with their poorly thought out bylaw.

DNROI still has the power to remove any board member for any reason, real or imagined.

they are still selectively applying the rule differently to 2 different board members.

The YML situation is only put off until his appeal has happened. The fact that he was scrubbed from the USPSA web page before the last meeting even happened seems to indicate that someone in the power structure wants him gone. And they jumped the gun without considering the blowback. 

100% they were tossing him until the situation with Mel came to light.

19 minutes ago, BMSMB said:

100% they were tossing him until the situation with Mel came to light.

The dates are interesting to say the least:

On 4/17/2023 the Board of Directors was notified that the President had his RO certification revoked. The Vice President has assumed the role of acting President pending the completion of the President’s appeal hearing. The hearing will be scheduled as soon as is practical.

On 4/18/2023 the Board was notified that the A4D had not acquired an RO certification.

At this point, if I had to choose between a USPSA President that is a: 

RO in good standing

very knowledgeable about the details of LO, flashlights and dremel tools 

liked by everyone 

OR has the ability to quiet the drama, mend fences with the members at large, and  shine a light on any special arrangements or deals, I will take this person all day long. USPSA is a great sport with an organization that seems to have gotten out of sync with the members at large!

I want to know how anyone on the Board expects a SOLID executive presence experienced candidate to run for the USPSA President Position with a salary of $50K a year when its a full time job (Hours required to actually get the job done right). The weak Salary alone will make the candidate pool willing to run for the position a very limited at best and at worst produce an endless cycle of under qualified or inexperienced people running for the position.

There is no disputing the fact that its been one "Clown Show" situation after another associated with USPSA. To pull the org out of the current nose dive will require an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD team of people. That isn't going to happen with the currently voted on Presidential position salary.

I have honestly tried to wrap my head around this whole situation and apply logic to it, but it simply doesn't make sense to me.

They say that there are no coincidences in politics: 

Downrange email today had the following section….

The NROI Discipline Procedure
Did you know that NROI has a discipline procedure for certified range officials at all levels? You can find the board-approved procedure here, along with many other NROI policies. The Range Officer's Creed is the basic code of conduct for all range officials. Violations of this basic tenet of officiating can land you in the NROI Discipline procedure, but only if someone takes the time to report them officially via an incident report to NROI.  READ MORE

36 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I want to know how anyone on the Board expects a SOLID executive presence experienced candidate to run for the USPSA President Position with a salary of $50K a year when its a full time job (Hours required to actually get the job done right). The weak Salary alone will make the candidate pool willing to run for the position a very limited at best and at worst produce an endless cycle of under qualified or inexperienced people running for the position.

There is no disputing the fact that its been one "Clown Show" situation after another associated with USPSA. To pull the org out of the current nose dive will require an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD team of people. That isn't going to happen with the currently voted on Presidential position salary.

I have honestly tried to wrap my head around this whole situation and apply logic to it, but it simply doesn't make sense to me.

100% agree with you. Part of the reason why small non-profit orgs often have such poor politics (think Home Owners Associations) is because people who are actually qualified typically have professional careers and aren't looking to take on another job essentially for free. So what you are left with are people who are both underqualified, but also those with a lot of free time and desire to play politics for the power, as they may not have an active career where they can advance there

Edited by whan

37 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I want to know how anyone on the Board expects a SOLID executive presence experienced candidate to run for the USPSA President Position with a salary of $50K a year when its a full time job (Hours required to actually get the job done right).

I don't think it's a full-time job any more, the Managing Director now has control over the day-to-day running of the organization (see 7.5).

The president has practically no authority.

The President is now just an at large member of the board, not beholden to an area. Other than writing an intro to the magazine and serving as the nominal MD for nationals, they have no role.

We have seesawed from a very strong executive to no *directly accountable* executive at all. A Director who serves at the Board’s pleasure has all the day-to-day responsibilities, and the Board reserves all real decision-making authority.

If you like the recent series of decisions, I’m sure you’ll love this state of affairs. For the rest of us it means actual years to even start righting the ship, when the full board turns over.

Edited by llamasabound

22 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

I don't think it's a full-time job any more, the Managing Director now has control over the day-to-day running of the organization (see 7.5).

The president has practically no authority.

Which occurred with the new bylaws. 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, Bakerjd said:

Ehh the double standard has been going on since the beginning of time. This nor anything else people do except not renewing memberships en Mas will change it. 

Actually, there is another way. Reach out to the advertisers in Front Sight and tell them as long as they support this org you won't support them.  They can easily suspend or pause  their ad for an issue or 2. If enough did it, it would make a difference.

On 4/20/2023 at 8:17 AM, OPENB said:

Better question is what did he do to piss off the board.

Now someone is asking the right question.  "Follow the Money"

41 minutes ago, Covfefe said:

They say that there are no coincidences in politics: 

Downrange email today had the following section….

The NROI Discipline Procedure
Did you know that NROI has a discipline procedure for certified range officials at all levels? You can find the board-approved procedure here, along with many other NROI policies. The Range Officer's Creed is the basic code of conduct for all range officials. Violations of this basic tenet of officiating can land you in the NROI Discipline procedure, but only if someone takes the time to report them officially via an incident report to NROI.  READ MORE

Note it makes no reference as a requirement to holding USPSA office. All of us as ROs know this policy exists. We've seen it with the +2 incidents several years ago, rather egregious behavior that was rightly immediate. This, well, given the firestorm, if there was documented progressive discipline, one would think that would have been referenced quickly. Not to say that something might not magically appear, but unless it was signed and copies to the recepient, I'd not bet the farm. 

13 minutes ago, llamasabound said:

For the rest of us it means actual years to even start righting the ship, when the full board turns over.

As the current BOD (along with DNROI) can suspend members, they have the means to not only remove any BOD member that might rock the boat, they can also prevent anyone from running for office if they have been suspended at any point.

This makes the process of replacing the BOD even more arduous; Seven votes are  needed to adjust the bylaws and at least five would be needed to get a full financial audit of the organization. Such an audit would reveal the extent of the problems with the deficit, and allow the members to see how the money has been spent.

7 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

Actually, there is another way. Reach out to the advertisers in Front Sight and tell them as long as they support this org you won't support them.  They can easily suspend or pause  their ad for an issue or 2. If enough did it, it would make a difference.

Not a bad idea, though I suspect that they would stop printing the magazine in that situation. The finances of the magazine are another concern, it used to generate revenue far in excess of its costs but recent 990 forms seem to indicate that the costs of the magazine have sky-rocketed, no explanation has been provided for this.

8 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

April BOD Minutes have been posted here.

I don't think the extenuating circumstances surrounding A4D not having an RO certification are valid. According to other sources this person competed in numerous competitions after election and before Jan 1st. There is no provision in the bylaws to permit the condition to be waived or delayed. 

The minutes state that A4D and President are no longer eligible to vote in any decisions, but A4D has been voting since Jan 1st without the necessary qualification for office.

The howler monkeys candidate was elected AD and was given an exemption for not being an RO a couple years ago

Are referring to Hopkins? If so he was already an AD when the proposed bylaws were published that would make it a requirement. I think he got the RO certification prior to the bylaws going into affect.

If you are referring to someone else then please post their name here so it can be confirmed, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Sestock said:

The howler monkeys candidate was elected AD and was given an exemption for not being an RO a couple years ago

The requirement for being a RO was changed while he was already in office. 

3 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Are referring to Hopkins? If so he was already an AD when the proposed bylaws were published that would make it a requirement. I think he got the RO certification prior to the bylaws going into affect.

If you are referring to someone else then please post their name here so it can be confirmed, thanks.

It was a requirement when he was elected.  He was called out about it at the members meeting at the nationals 

On 4/19/2023 at 10:48 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

To the best of my knowledge and belief, YML is not and never has been IROA certified ... Just sayin' ...

To me, that's just a huge plus.

Way too many deltas in their ranks.

4 minutes ago, Sestock said:

It was a requirement when he was elected.  He was called out about it at the members meeting at the nationals 

Seeing how the bylaw revision happened on 1/16/22 and Hopkins was elected in 2021, im gonna say you’re wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Sestock said:

Matt took office in January 2021 and the new bylaws (including the RO requirement) went into effect in January 2022.

From Instagram:

IMG_2758.jpeg