Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning off red dot

MHicks

I just received my CZ slide back milled and a SRO mounted. Is it best to turn it off between matches or adjust to lower power level and leave it on? What do most shooters do? With some electronics people say it's harder on them turning them on and off vs leaving them on. This is my first red dot. Thanks.

I think the SRO's manual brightness setting times out after 16 hours and reverts to auto. Given I store my gun in its case at home, that auto brightness is essentially minimum brightness, and thus defaults to that overnight. So I just leave mine on since the SRO should last for years at that level. Because I change mine every 6 months (cheap insurance), I don't really mind

FYI the reason I like keeping mine on is it makes it more convenient to dryfire. At home I have a quick access safe I store my comp gun in, so it's just one less excuse (however minor) to just grab the gun and get 5 minutes in, even if it's without belt/holster

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

My comp gun SRO I turn on on match day and off when I put it away. My carry gun SRO is always on and I replace the battery twice a year

Do you have yours locked into a brightness setting? Just seeing how others have their EDC SROs set. Since it will default to dim after time, you either have to check it before you go to bed or I risk not being able to see it in the middle of the night. 

3 hours ago, shred said:

You can always tell old Slide Ride C-more shooters because they're always checking they turned the dot off... even if they're shooting Limited at the time :D

that was a big reason why i switched to an SRO, i was so sick of my nervous knob-check tick!

the last straw was a 3gun match where my pistol was dumped and got bagged for me as i went long range, 2 stages later when i needed my pistol again i had to point shoot the stage. didn't go well.

my DPP and SRO both get turned on at safe table in morning, off at safe table bagging at the end. 

2 hours ago, Scotty_JR said:

Do you have yours locked into a brightness setting? Just seeing how others have their EDC SROs set. Since it will default to dim after time, you either have to check it before you go to bed or I risk not being able to see it in the middle of the night. 

I have it set to 2 or 3 from full bright for the most part. 

Switch dots on prior to holster/gear up and switch off at end of event/session. 

I replace all batteries in the late fall, even if still good.  I worry a bit about a leaky cell killing optics. 

Carrying spare batteries is the new reality, but seasons are short up here.  

@waktasz, Thanks. 

My SRO comp gun turned on and off as I use it. Just turn it all the way down until I can't see it. I've had good luck with batteries that way. 

My carry SRO stays on all the time. In the default mode, it dims right now after 16.5 hours according to the manual. I'll playing with locking into a brightness setting which turns off the dim timer. 

Now I have to figure out what works best as far as glasses prescription.. I have been shooting with glasses set for front sight focus on dominate eye and distance on other eye . I already knew that wouldn't work with the dot.

I did just get my slide back with sro mounted. I tried it with my regular distance prescription and the dot looks much better while experimenting with brightness.  I also looked through it with no glasses on and it actually looks pretty good. This is just in my backyard. I plan on getting to the range next week to shoot it and sight in. Anyone else shoot using distance prescription or just plain lenses even though you have a prescription? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, MHicks said:Anyone else shoot using distance prescription or just plain lenses even though you have a prescription? 

With my mini red dots i just wear my everyday glasses prescription , (distance on top, bifocal reader on bottom as 60 yrs old).   No need for special prescription for reddots.

"You want the targets to be in focus."

and this

On 2/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, MHicks said:

"With my mini red dots i just wear my everyday glasses prescription..."

My new shooting glasses' insert will just have the upper prescription. No need for the lower.

11 hours ago, lgh said:

"You want the targets to be in focus."

and this

"With my mini red dots i just wear my everyday glasses prescription..."

My new shooting glasses' insert will just have the upper prescription. No need for the lower.

don’t you ever help with scoring or running the tablet?  I use my everyday glasses with a red dot. They are progressive lenses, I need to be able to read the tablet through the bottom portion of the lens. 

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

don’t you ever help with scoring or running the tablet?

Not any more. And with my prescription I can read well enough with the upper part of the glasses. The lower is only needed for real close up stuff. That's why it's not needed for shooting, not even irons.

It wasn't this way before cataract surgery. I needed different glasses for shooting irons vs RDS not to mention driving vs computer vs reading ... you name it.  Life is more simple now.