Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PCC Optic

I've been wanting a JP5 ever since I started reading about them on here.  I had a GMR15 and it was great except that it wasn't truly ambidextrous.   I've got an extra Atlas in the safe I'm going to sell to fund it, the optic and extra mags.  I was thinking about an MRO for the optic, but wanted to run it by you guys to see what you are running.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Trace

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holosun 512. If you think you will ever shoot in the rain 😉  Also, less susceptible to sun reflections over your shoulder. You get a 2 moa dot for precision, a big-ass circle for hosing. Put the BAC over the round part of the steel and shoot. Use the sides of the circle for lead compensation for moving targets and use the bottom tic on the circle for close-up targets. 

I have used the 510C for the last 4 years with no issue. The 512 was added after I got rained on in Utah and lost half the reticle to a slow to evaporating rain drop on the LED.

The holographic sights have been phenomenal for me. Love the crispness of the reticle for target-focus shooting.

Been using the Eotech and/or Vortex UH-1 for 2+ years for USPSA now. (previously used the Holosun 510/512’s)

No comparison between a traditional red dot and holographic for me. 10/10 would recommend.  

7B292E43-D674-4933-9F1D-6F3A61E8343A.thumb.jpeg.7b198fc3016c05cad12dc6452af9472c.jpeg

10 minutes ago, mgkrs said:

I found holographic sights had a fuzziness and noise to it, similar to the dot from a laser pointer, are you not seeing that? 

thats how holographic sights look/work....but if your target focused enough it blends together to look solid

Edited by mrvip27

I have a GMR-15 and run 510's and love them, I have a 512 I bought because I was afraid of the rain situation Chuck describes above but haven't mounted it yet.  It's pretty heavy but that doesn't bother me, I'm just lazy.

I have a JP5 on order, hopefully early March, was going to try the AEMS - not sure why, it kinda looks cool.  

I sent a UH-1 back, I have an astigmatism and it was way too fuzzy for me.  

Have a C-more railway - can't trust it becase of battery life.  I changed the battery for each match but it still died during a long day - can't trust it. 

Vortex venom or viper - can't remember which - good sights, just don't like the single dot. 

Lots of really good sights out there, hard to go wrong, I think the reticle is the most important this.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

thats how holographic sights look/work....but if your target focused enough it blends together to look solid

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner. 

That’s “fuzziness” is a great tell when you’re cheating yourself and not shooting target focus! 👏 

2 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

That’s “fuzziness” is a great tell when you’re cheating yourself and not shooting target focus!

Yup.  I also find with the my astigmatism I do not get bursting like my eyes do with most dots.  It is a shaper image.

If you see the graininess of the holographic reticle you are definitely not target focused.    

I used to think the circle dot reticle was too busy.  I use to run the Holosun HS510C without the circle.  I then switch to an EoTech, and found with the circle and dot reticle I shoot steel at a higher efficiency for some reason.  I also use the lower tick of the circle at the 6 O'clock position is point of aim for close tight targets.

Just now, Boomstick303 said:

Yup.  I also find with the my astigmatism I do not get bursting like my eyes do with most dots.  It is a shaper image.

If you see the graininess of the holographic reticle you are definitely not target focused.    

I used to think the circle dot reticle was too busy.  I use to run the Holosun HS510C without the circle.  I then switch to an EoTech, and found with the circle and dot reticle I shoot steel at a higher efficiency for some reason.  I also use the lower tick of the circle at the 6 O'clock position is point of aim for close tight targets.

Yes to all of this. 

I also have astigmatism. Holo is much crisper for me. 

Circle/dot is the way. Also use the bottom of the circle for 5-7yd targets for proper POI. It’s almost like cheating. 😊 

15 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I was thinking about an MRO for the optic,

I personally stay away from MROs.  They are one of the worst optics in regards to parallax.  I have a couple of buddy's that is testing equipment all of the time and will not buy any MROs due to the parallax issues.  If you are stuck on the MRO make sure you get a Gen II.  It is slightly better than the Gen I but it is still pretty bad.  I had a Gen I and it was horrible.  

Edited by Boomstick303
15 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I have used the 510C for the last 4 years with no issue. The 512 was added after I got rained on in Utah and lost half the reticle to a slow to evaporating rain drop on the LED.

This was the reason I switch to the EoTech.  Closed system after shooting PCC Nationals in FL, and 2 Gun Nationals in Alabama where it rained its fair share.  

16 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Holosun 512. If you think you will ever shoot in the rain 😉  Also, less susceptible to sun reflections over your shoulder. You get a 2 moa dot for precision, a big-ass circle for hosing. Put the BAC over the round part of the steel and shoot. Use the sides of the circle for lead compensation for moving targets and use the bottom tic on the circle for close-up targets. 

I've got a Holosun 510 on my JP GMR15 and, by removing the shroud, you save a lot of weight.  The huge window is a big plus and the circle/dot reticle is very fast to find.  

I did buy an HS512 just for the reason given but it's smaller window and more intrusive frame makes it a bit less fast than the 510.

10 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I've got a Holosun 510 on my JP GMR15 and, by removing the shroud, you save a lot of weight.  The huge window is a big plus and the circle/dot reticle is very fast to find.  

I did buy an HS512 just for the reason given but it's smaller window and more intrusive frame makes it a bit less fast than the 510.

FWIW, the "window" size is the same between the 510 and 512.