Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PCC Optic

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My laser is worthless past 10 yards in the daylight.   I need to try a 45 degree offset dot before I spend 400 bucks....but I don't know any lefties around here who has one.  I've tried to simulate the situation with my rifle and I'm not sure juice is worth the squeeze.......

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I need to try a 45 degree offset dot before I spend 400 bucks....but I don't know any lefties around here who has one.

I will say that I have had an off set 45 degree on my PCC since day 1 for about three years now and find it gets me into more trouble than it has kept me out of.  I may keep it as a secondary if the main goes down, but I am not sure it's a necessity by any means.  

27 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I will say that I have had an off set 45 degree on my PCC since day 1 for about three years now and find it gets me into more trouble than it has kept me out of.  I may keep it as a secondary if the main goes down, but I am not sure it's a necessity by any means.  

How so?

You don’t know the hold?

Or your 45 mount doesn’t actually line up with the bore? (very common actually). 

11 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

How so?

Honestly it does come down to training.  I am not getting low enough then the offset give a false sense the muzzle is clear of the barrier (wall, drum, etc.).  For whatever reason the normal optic does not give me this false sense the muzzle is clear.  I have ricochet more shots off barriers than I care to remember on hard left leans.  I have started training more using the technique to where you move the PCC to the left shoulder keeping your strong hand on the grip.

Maybe more training would fix the issue using strong shoulder/strong hand but I am to a point I do more training to where I bring the PCC over to the left shoulder keeping the grip in my strong hand and making the shots required.  Shooting in this manner I find there is less chance of hitting the barrier regardless of what optic you use.  

10 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Honestly it does come down to training.  I am not getting low enough then the offset give a false sense the muzzle is clear of the barrier (wall, drum, etc.).  For whatever reason the normal optic does not give me this false sense the muzzle is clear.  I have ricochet more shots off barriers than I care to remember on hard left leans.  I have started training more using the technique to where you move the PCC to the left shoulder keeping your strong hand on the grip.

Maybe more training would fix the issue using strong shoulder/strong hand but I am to a point I do more training to where I bring the PCC over to the left shoulder keeping the grip in my strong hand and making the shots required.  Shooting in this manner I find there is less chance of hitting the barrier regardless of what optic you use.  

I’d take a hard look to see if the optic really does line up with the bore of the barrel. So many offset mounts have it completely wrong and the optic is sitting 1-2” left of the barrel, which will drive you in to the walls you’re trying to avoid. 

It’s a HUGE problem with the MPX… since the recoil system sits above the bore… and can still be a problem with AR style guns and some mounts. 

The best combo I’ve seen is the Vortex Razor and the offset from vortex that direct mounts the Razor. Lines up PERFECTLY. 

44CC15F1-B575-4058-A75C-5BE750C1C9E5.thumb.jpeg.cf42d036a4cc34811abb8bc57af1a502.jpeg

Learning to switch to support side to shoot can be accomplished with training and during a stage can be incorporated into your movement.  It's still most likely to take more time depending on the stage but based on your earlier post that doesn't appear to be option.  In the winter my club shoots indoors and all shots must go into the back bullet trap so really hard leans are common.  Sometimes I have to switch shoulders because it's the only way I'm going to hit the target, but most can be engaged with the side dot.  I have the advantage of having shot an open rifle with one for years, so it was nothing new.  Whether or not it's something you need vs want is up to your needs but as with everything else it's just a matter of training to become proficient with it.  

I use the JP mount on my open rifle and PCC and it puts it right where I like.

12 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

I’d take a hard look to see if the optic really does line up with the bore of the barrel. So many offset mounts have it completely wrong and the optic is sitting 1-2” left of the barrel, which will drive you in to the walls you’re trying to avoid. 

It’s a HUGE problem with the MPX… since the recoil system sits above the bore… and can still be a problem with AR style guns and some mounts. 

The best combo I’ve seen is the Vortex Razor and the offset from vortex that direct mounts the Razor. Lines up PERFECTLY. 

44CC15F1-B575-4058-A75C-5BE750C1C9E5.thumb.jpeg.cf42d036a4cc34811abb8bc57af1a502.jpeg

Very valid. Bo Bro just came out with an adjustable style offset mount to accommodate any weird offset.

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I stand corrected.  I did some light dry firing this morning and I CAN see the reticle with my right eye, I just have to close my left eye.  So, maybe working on the transitions from strong shoulder to weak shoulder would be the best bang for the buck......

Training beats gadgets every time. 👍🏽

I still hate hard leans though. And I noticed them in abundance once PCC came on the scene. 🙄

• 1 month later...

I ran a Cmore railway for a while and eventually switched to a 510c with the shield removed. I run the 510c in the single dot mode.

The railway is incredible but more finicky than a Holosun due to construction and battery life. The Holo isn't is as big/bright of a dot, but the huge field of view/lack of obstruction with the shield removed is unmatched.

I resisted buying holosuns for a while now I've got like 8 of them on various things...

I am not an MRO fan. Had one, tried very hard to make it work, but they're just optically flawed to the point of unworkable. Still love my ACOG/Credo/Accupoint/SRO, however.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2023 at 5:15 AM, Ner said:

Did anyone tried Prism x1 optics (Swampfox Blade for example) for fast Pcc target transitions end etc ?

I tried a Blade, didnt care for it. DM me if you would like it. 

I’ve tried Holosuns, Eotech, Aimpoint t1 and t2, Trij MRO HD, and a Blade prism.  Put a DPP on the new JP5. So far with my old eyes eith astig, it seems to flare the least. Plus it is low so mechanical offset is about as low as you can get. Plus there is minimal material around the optic making it easier to pick up targets. YMMV. 

Edited by GregJ
On 6/3/2023 at 1:53 AM, GregJ said:

I tried a Blade, didnt care for it. DM me if you would like it. 

I’ve tried Holosuns, Eotech, Aimpoint t1 and t2, Trij MRO HD, and a Blade prism.  Put a DPP on the new JP5. So far with my old eyes eith astig, it seems to flare the least. Plus it is low so mechanical offset is about as low as you can get. Plus there is minimal material around the optic making it easier to pick up targets. YMMV. 

Thanks..i have already got SLx PA x1 Microprism last week ..so far so good. Faster pickup / clear but a bit heavier and messing with diopters

1 hour ago, NyRey87 said:

About to pull the trigger (lol) on a Vortex Venom Red Dot for my GMR-15. Anyone have any real world experience with one for PCC? Thanks

Had a Vortex Venom on mine for a bit years ago. 6 moa dot was bright and crisp but the window was a little too small for me. I ended up swapping a C-more slide ride in 6 moa and that’s still what I’m running today.

29 minutes ago, hiker88 said:

Had a Vortex Venom on mine for a bit years ago. 6 moa dot was bright and crisp but the window was a little too small for me. I ended up swapping a C-more slide ride in 6 moa and that’s still what I’m running today.

Thank you, I looked into C-More sights. I’ve read and heard really good things about them.

I’m looking for lightweight, durable and waterproof. Vortex seems like a good brand that stands behind their product no matter what, even if I buy it used.

I would really like to stay under $300 for a sight. I am open to other recommendations. Thanks

1 hour ago, NyRey87 said:

About to pull the trigger (lol) on a Vortex Venom Red Dot for my GMR-15. Anyone have any real world experience with one for PCC? Thanks

it's ok for me. Glass seems small from the beginning but dot is all you need here solid choice for pcc.