Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PCC Optic

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have a 510C and a DPP offset on my JP5 to see if I like it. I have a lot of Eotech's and like them but the pixelated circle is kind of distracting and it seems like the battery is always dead. Also got a Mepro Foresight and it's pretty cool for all the recitals you can pick from but it's kind of big and ugly and I'm not confident on how long a charge will last. 

13 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

that's discouraging.  I was really hoping for good things with the eflx.  since i have DPP mounts on everything i own.  ill stick to the best optic, The DPP! 

DPP was my favorite RDS but I lost my confidence in it when the tape holding battery contact melted on the hot match day and the battery contact slid off the PCB mid stage. I was hoping that they improve the battery contact design when they release the 6MOA version but they didn't so I moved away from DPP.

8 hours ago, theix said:

DPP was my favorite RDS but I lost my confidence in it when the tape holding battery contact melted on the hot match day and the battery contact slid off the PCB mid stage. I was hoping that they improve the battery contact design when they release the 6MOA version but they didn't so I moved away from DPP.

I have a couple DPP mounted on pistols, but they haven't really been tested/shot enough to say they are going to last.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I have a couple DPP mounted on pistols, but they haven't really been tested/shot enough to say they are going to last.

A while ago, I sent a couple DP not Pro sights back to the factory for them to change the stripped screws. The DPP was just introduced so in their infinite wisdom, they sent me 2 DPP and scrapped the older dots. I was not happy but what could I do? I took them to my optics test range which consists of a step ladder and my neighbor's garage door 44 yards away. The horizontal parallax was ok but the vertical was about 8" when moving my head up and down. Perhaps they fixed that by now...

On 1/31/2023 at 4:34 PM, RangerTrace said:

I've been wanting a JP5 ever since I started reading about them on here.  I had a GMR15 and it was great except that it wasn't truly ambidextrous.   I've got an extra Atlas in the safe I'm going to sell to fund it, the optic and extra mags.  I was thinking about an MRO for the optic, but wanted to run it by you guys to see what you are running.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Trace

Glad you're jumping on the JP-5. You'll love it. If you plan on using spicy ammo check out a 60 degree lock piece. One of the Border Patrol guys was running their ammo with it and it was comically soft for that load. 

I've transitioned to UH-1's for PCC. I've lost the single dots in the sun too many times to count at this point. With the circle dot I at least have the outer circle to aim if not the center point looking into the sun. 

The huge window on holographic sights and lack of parallax has also drastically reduced the number of times I had to roll over to a 45 degree offset dot. 

The only issue I'd watch out for is if you're not using a holo for work and you go back to a LPVO there's always that odd "wait, there's a tube" moment. Minor thing with training but you'll notice it every now and then. 

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Glad you're jumping on the JP-5. You'll love it. If you plan on using spicy ammo check out a 60 degree lock piece. One of the Border Patrol guys was running their ammo with it and it was comically soft for that load. 

I've transitioned to UH-1's for PCC. I've lost the single dots in the sun too many times to count at this point. With the circle dot I at least have the outer circle to aim if not the center point looking into the sun. 

The huge window on holographic sights and lack of parallax has also drastically reduced the number of times I had to roll over to a 45 degree offset dot. 

The only issue I'd watch out for is if you're not using a holo for work and you go back to a LPVO there's always that odd "wait, there's a tube" moment. Minor thing with training but you'll notice it every now and then. 

Sold the Artemis today and just ordered the JP5 in the all purpose carbine build.  I may carry it at work and needed the black barrel and smaller compensator for that.  I hate  waiting on guns, but I didn't see any all purpose builds online anywhere.........

I have a green MRO which always seems fuzzy, especially indoors.  I have had better luck with holosun and my Sig XLs (as far as sharpness goes).

I would suggest to go check them out in person if you can... everybody's eyes are different so listening to people on the internet about which dots are clear and which are fuzzy is kind of a waste of time IMO.

15 hours ago, mandiesel said:

I would suggest to go check them out in person if you can... everybody's eyes are different so listening to people on the internet about which dots are clear and which are fuzzy is kind of a waste of time IMO.

This^

i love my DPPs!

Edited by Bdh821
8 minutes ago, blue72 said:

What do you guys find best for astigmatism?

While I have never used a Triangle reticle, I find that bigger dots, and Holographic optics burst less for a given setting. In most instances bigger dots are more crisp for me.  

For me it can depend on who make the optic(s).  I find the Romeo 3 Max and XL have a crisper dot than my SROs do.  The most crisp dot I own is on a budget Swamp Fox optic.  That dot never seems to burst regardless of the setting but I do not like the small glass size on their pistol optics.  I think this has mostly to due with the coating on the glass each manufacture uses for their dot.  I could be wrong here, that is just a theory of mine.    

Something else to consider here is not everyone's astigmatism seems to be the same.  You most likely should look through as many as you can before landing on any one brand and/or type.  I also find my hydration level has a lot to do with how much the dot will burst, and sometimes I get a semi dot next to the dot or a crazy star burst up and to the right.  When I am hydrated enough I do not see all of that garbage.  

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

While I have never used a Triangle reticle, I find that bigger dots, and Holographic optics burst less for a given setting. In most instances bigger dots are more crisp for me.  

For me it can depend on who make the optic(s).  I find the Romeo 3 Max and XL have a crisper dot than my SROs do.  The most crisp dot I own is on a budget Swamp Fox optic.  That dot never seems to burst regardless of the setting but I do not like the small glass size on their pistol optics.  I think this has mostly to due with the coating on the glass each manufacture uses for their dot.  I could be wrong here, that is just a theory of mine.    

Something else to consider here is not everyone's astigmatism seems to be the same.  You most likely should look through as many as you can before landing on any one brand and/or type.  I also find my hydration level has a lot to do with how much the dot will burst, and sometimes I get a semi dot next to the dot or a crazy star burst up and to the right.  When I am hydrated enough I do not see all of that garbage.  

thanks! I find the same thing when I’m hydrated

even though I live in a area with lots of gun stores …none of them have a decent selection of optics to try out…maybe I need to take a road trip

when using a big red dot what size do you like to run?

I placed my order with JP this weekend.  However they emailed me today to tell me that the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop had the exact rifle I wanted in stock.  So, it  cost a few extra dollars because of taxes, but I will have it in my hands tomorrow.  

Still no decision made on the optic.  I've got a T1 on a 300BLK that I haven't even zeroed yet, so that may have to do for a while.......My FFL is a Master dealer for Vortex and they sell to me at cost.  So the Vortex might be worth a look.

21 hours ago, blue72 said:

What do you guys find best for astigmatism?

Bigger MOA red dots, circle dot, or triangle?

A friend with a pretty bad astigmatism talked to the folks at Vortex and they told him that most people with the condition have the best luck with their optics with an etched reticle. My friend followed their advice and said it worked out great.

1 hour ago, Gregg K said:

A friend with a pretty bad astigmatism talked to the folks at Vortex and they told him that most people with the condition have the best luck with their optics with an etched reticle. My friend followed their advice and said it worked out great.

I have tried a few ….etched reticles tend to be heavy, unforgiving eye box, not magnifier friendly, and still have issues with my astigmatism 

11 hours ago, blue72 said:

green or red….or does it matter?

I stick with Red.  I have heard some complain on really bright days it can wash out green reticles.  Dot brightness is very important in regards to any dot, so make sure you buy one that is day light bright.  

Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL, Trijicon SRO, Delta Point DPP and Holosun all have day light bright settings.  I have had good luck with all of my dots, and have yet to send any of them back, but each seems to have one common issue or another.  None of them seem to have the same issue which is kind of interesting.  You can read throughout the forum and figure it out. 

In short.......

SRO -  Very good and few returns once the battery door was updated.  If you were to buy a used SRO, I would try to figure out if you had the updated battery door or not.  You can buy the doors separate.  I have heard of Trijicon sending updated doors for free.  The shroud on the glass seems to have some random place to where if you knock the optic on that majic spot it can crack the glass.  I have not experienced this myself but have seen it happen.  Trijicons have double dot issues when the optic is pointed at the sun where you can see two dots, and its hard to quickly identify which is the correct dot.  Trijicon's warranty is great but turn around is somewhat slow.  

Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL - Very good optic, seemed to have button issues and drift issues in the past.  There are threads on how to fix the drift issue yourself, and Sig has seem to have updated the buttons. So the jury is out if that fixed their button issue.  I minimize the amount I used the buttons by keeping all of my optics on and only use the buttons to adjust brightness when necessary.  These have some of the most crisp dots in regards to my astigmatism.  Sig Romeo 3 do not have double dot issues when pointed into the sun.  Sig seems to have one of the best warranties and their turn around time is usually two weeks.  This is my current optic of choice for slide ride pistol mounted RDS.

DPP (Delta Point Pro) - Russian roulette.  Some seem to be great, some seem to be awful.  Leupold seems to have fixed their major issues with a board update.  I have two but they do not have the round counts to understand if those issues are truly fixed.  Many have sent numerous units back for warranty work, and the problem with Leupold's warranty is takes forever to get your optic back.  Some  sweat by DPPs, some have vowed to never use them again.  

Holosun - Seem to be the best value optic and from my experience what I have heard and what I have read have next to zero issues.  Solid dots at a good price point.  The glass is small when compared to the Sigs and Trijicons RDS discussed up above, but the also seem to have the least amount of issues.  I have no idea on their warranty process.  

This obviously is from personal experience, but if you read dozens of threads on this board, you will come up with similar conclusions.  

1 hour ago, Gregg K said:

Vortex and they told him that most people with the condition have the best luck with their optics with an etched reticle

I have heard this as well.  Also you can still use an etched reticle when the dot goes dead.  However, I do not have any experience with etched reticles.  

On 1/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, ChuckS said:

Holosun 512. If you think you will ever shoot in the rain 😉  Also, less susceptible to sun reflections over your shoulder. You get a 2 moa dot for precision, a big-ass circle for hosing. Put the BAC over the round part of the steel and shoot. Use the sides of the circle for lead compensation for moving targets and use the bottom tic on the circle for close-up targets. 

I have used the 510C for the last 4 years with no issue. The 512 was added after I got rained on in Utah and lost half the reticle to a slow to evaporating rain drop on the LED.

isn't the 512 discontinued?

1 hour ago, dtuns said:

isn't the 512 discontinued?

Still current and available online. I got tired of getting a reflection off the emitter window on my 510's so I went to the 512's to get an enclosed optic. To get a green one I had to go with a 512T which is Ti construction and heavier than the regular 512. I am also using the AEMS in the multi reticle in green and it is like 1/3 the weight of my 512T and nearly the same size window, I'm liking it.