Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scotch or Bourbon

wooddog

11 hours ago, wooddog said:

My favorite Scotch so far is Lagavulin... 

My favorite Bourbon so far is still undecided...

What's yours?

Don’t care for scotch. Favorite Bourbon, Bulleit of course.  After shooting, never before. 

19 minutes ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

The only Scotch that I have tried tasted like water runoff from house fires from my time as a coroner, ugh. I do like Four Roses Bourbon.

Same here, but I always thought it tasted like the glue on an envelope or postage stamp.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried to get into Scotch, but just couldn't.  It has a strange medicinal taste for me.

However, I've drank a lot of Bourbon, Rye, and American Whisky over the past few years (maybe too much).  My most favorite has been either Weller 12 year or George T Stagg.   Those are both very difficult to get, but as for something that's obtainable and priced very low, I have to say the Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch was surprisingly good!  And so is the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select Rye. 

You may want to try some of the old forester brands I like the 1920 version it’s about 50 bucks where I live. Elijah Craig barrel proofs are usually good I’ve liked all the ones I’ve bought but be ready they start at 120 proof, they cost about 65 bucks. If you can find Stagg Jr it’s great. On a budget there is nothing wrong with Evan Williams bottled in bond it’s less than 20 bucks. Also Wild Turkey 101 is really good.

Scotch-Lagavulian but I usually only get it when I'm on a trip

Bourbon- Buffalo Trace when I can get it.  A local distillery (Cedar Ridge) makes a good one.  But my current go-to when I want an old fashioned is Kirkland bottled in bond.  Cheap, but very good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A friend and I rang the changes on Scotch for several years.  I preferred Balvenie, I like the 12 year old single cask, none of that fancy nancy stuff kept in perfume bottles or some such.

But I usually just buy Irish these days.  

The only application I ever found for bourbon was mint juleps.  A friend's wife had a mint patch in the yard and she made mint syrup for the gang.  That and some Wild Turkey was good.  

Favorite… that’s a rough one.

scotch - Johnny walker black and green

bourbon - mostly yes.  I have a list that I cycle through.

bardstown, town branch , buffalo trace, makers mark, 4 roses, Yellowstone, hotel tango, Evan Williams