Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many per 100….

Goat259

Good Evening,

On average, out of 100 rounds you reload, how many do not drop in, or fall out of the case gauge? 

I have noticed it is becoming more Collin than when I first set everything up. I’ll get anywhere from 3-5 per 100. 

I am reloading in a Dillon 650.

1. Dillon Sizing and de-prime die. 
2. Flare and powder drop.

3. Bullet feeder.

4. Dillon Seating Die

5. Lee Carbide Factory die. 

loading from mixed brass. Someone told me it is the base of the case, as the die may be be going down far enough. 

Thoughts? 

Goat

Take a sharpie and color a round that doesn't pass completely.  Poke it in and out of your gauge a few times.  Look where the sharpie rubbed off.

In .40 it's usually fat bases-- rubbed off a bit above the rim, insufficient crimp (rubbed off right on the case mouth) or oblong/oversize bullets (rubbed off on the bullet)

take the Dillon seat die out and toss it in the swamp like I did mine... problem will go away. 
I decided for some reason I needed to upgrade from Lee dies,,, and bought Dillon.. even like you keeping the Lee FCD for last station,, I was getting failure to chamber issues.. Never did figure out why,,, Went back to a Lee seater and problem went away and never returned.

42 minutes ago, Davecoff13 said:

I honestly don’t remember ever having one fail the case gauge. Probably done 10 k 40 cal. Nowadays I only randomly check 10 per 100

After checking and checking and checking, and never finding a single one....I stopped checking entirely.

So I tried the sharpie trick and it seems to be at the base of the case. I readjusted my crimp die (I screwed it down firmly into the shell plate) and everything seems to be passing. Will update as I reload more to asses if the problem is still there. 

Thank you all!

20 hours ago, shred said:

Take a sharpie and color a round that doesn't pass completely.  Poke it in and out of your gauge a few times.  Look where the sharpie rubbed off.

In .40 it's usually fat bases-- rubbed off a bit above the rim, insufficient crimp (rubbed off right on the case mouth) or oblong/oversize bullets (rubbed off on the bullet)

If it’s in the base, just screw the crimp die down further?

With the ram all the way down, screw the SIZING die down to the shellplate and tighten the lock rings. 

Some people grind off the bottom of the sizing die so that it goes further down the case. With Dillon die, they are tapered at the mouth to aid in guiding the case into the die. Remove that taper and the carbide sizing ring can go down further on the case.

Secondly, case gauges are usually tighter than the chamber of your gun. Check the rounds in the barrel, if they work in it, then go with that...after all, that's where they will end up. 

I get less than 1 in 500.  The hundo gauge I use is tighter than my chamber so once filled if I have any high I give the gauge a quick tap on my bench mat and they usually all seat.  Any that don’t,  I pull and inspect.  Seldom have to pull any.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:28 PM, Goat259 said:

1. Dillon Sizing and de-prime die. 

I found the Lee 40 die sizes better than the Dillon, because it sizes slightly undersize. Also I found the Dillon taper crimp die superior to the Lee in taking out the bell.

For your failure rate issue I would recommend switching to the Lee regular or U (undersize) die and I would wager your failure rate would substantially reduce. 

Just my thoughts. 

i use lee dies on a 650. I also run all my 40 brass through a bulge-buster die before loading. I got to be pretty picky about case-gauging when I was diagnosing problems with a new limited gun (turned out to be mostly magazines), and I get 0-2 out of a 100 that don't plunk completely down in the gauge. They go all the way to the rim and stop there. I set them in a rejects pile and a few times a year I go shoot the rejects at a practice session and leave the brass. They all run just fine, so I know I'm being pickier than I need to be, but that doesn't bother me. I figure for a match, I may as well control everything I can control.

13 hours ago, Goat259 said:

If it’s in the base, just screw the crimp die down further?

When I was shooting 40 I had to run all my brass through a push through die to get a decent pass rate. Thankfully I only had to do that for about 2000 total rounds before going back to 9. 

If you're doing high volume shooting of 40 S&W, 10k a year or so, I would strongly suggest a roll sizer. You'll get all that bulged brass back in shape and the resize on press takes way less effort. I've run the roll sizer for 9mm for a season now and I'll never go back. 

It all depends on the caliber & gun. In .38 Super, I don’t think I’ve ever had one fail. 

in .40, I get an occasional case with an overly pregnant Glock bulge that won’t size out all the way. These get broken down and the brass scrapped. 

I have a lot of grungy 9mm brass that’s been through a couple machine gun chambers. I used to get a lot of case gauge rejects from these. Sometimes as much as 10-12%. It’s usually a slightly deformed rim. Depending on how it looks, they will either go in the practice ammo bag or get broken down for components. 

I’ve since started sorting by headstamp, plus examining the head prior to loading. It’s tedious, but it can sometimes be done during work-from-home online meetings. But since those are few and far between these days, I have a pretty good supply of cleaned, “ready to be inspected” 9mm brass. 

Using all mixed brass.  Currently 2 per 300 will not case gauge, but a high percentage of these plunk test fine. 

I know this will rile some folks, but adding a FCD (properly set) on station 5 has improved this from the previous ~6 per 300. 

The loads that fail to case gauge get set aside for practice use.

GRx push through will solve your brass problems, but you have to do it one by one. 

A rollsizer is a more efficient solution. You can choose your flavor (and price). I rollsize all 9mm and 40 and rarely have any case issues. 

Edited by MNshooter
Autocorrect!!

• 2 weeks later...