Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics poll - yay or nay

Chillywig

Limited Optics poll - yay or nay  

252 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about limited optics?

• Sounds fun - going to give it a try
    • Sounds dumb - hard pass

14 minutes ago, sfinney said:

I mean, while not sure we need another Division and I don't really feel a need to by a 9mm "Limited Optic" gun - but it is an excuse to try out a Prodigy (as a project) and make it work. Win/Win.

You’re not wrong there lol. I saw a post on IG earlier of a smith building an open gun that came with a complete LO ready slide assembly. That man was speaking to my soul haha

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sfinney said:

Thanks for verifying you have heard or said similar. A previous poster implies it can never happen in his vast experience set.

And as stated - people are trying to be helpful, and spare people pain, and guide them on the equipment they will probably need to be competitive. But - most new shooters are not "competitive". They are here to have fun, and learn. Unless they ask for advice on is my Taurus/Beretta clone with 15 round mags is competitive in Limited or not....  let 'em shoot. They'll figure it out. Its not the equipment holding them back - yet. As skills improve, the ones that want to stay will improve their guns or buy new ones. (I mean really, who doesn't need an excuse to buy a new gun??) 

I mean, while not sure we need another Division and I don't really feel a need to by a 9mm "Limited Optic" gun - but it is an excuse to try out a Prodigy (as a project) and make it work. Win/Win.

Each to his own, I'll just show up and play whatever the rules. I might even smile a little bit while doing so, even if I'm not competitive (anymore). As the joker said - "Why so serious?"

I truly believe that most comments like those are meant to save someone a lot of time and money.  We shooters tend towards loving to talk about our gear almost as much as shooting.

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I truly believe that most comments like those are meant to save someone a lot of time and money.  We shooters tend towards loving to talk about our gear almost as much as shooting.

And I'm one of them. Love my gear, and buy and sell alot. Always "chasing". If someone had physically restrained me from buying 90% of the gear I bought, and later sold off,  I would be able to retire now probably.

These kind of comments that make someone feel under gunned or in the wrong division....  spot on for the most part, and ARE designed to be helpful and save $$$ mistakes. We've all been there.

But sometimes when a guy shows up shooting a P226 with the "navy seal anchor" on it, or a custom Hi-power - its the best gun in the world to them, today - you just gotta let them shoot. They'll figure it out.... 

Back on topic - I'll probably shoot Limited Optics with my M&P and a magwell, just to be obstinate. But in reality - I am eyeing a 9mm 2011.... again. sigh.  

Limited Optics is to Limited what C/O was initially to Production - take the same guns and allow red dots.

I would like to see Limited Optics keep major/minor scoring to make it sufficiently different from "C/O+", but either way it's just going with the times - take a Limited gun and add optics, so it's an arms race with guns, but not with ammo. If you get into arms race with ammo, you go to compensators, popple holes and Open. So, a great division for traditional Limited shooters who want to upgrade, but don't want the hassle of loading for Open. Quite similar to the initial appeal of C/O, until the whiners got the capacity increased so they wouldn't have to deal with stage planning and the lack of magwells (and I'm not against it, I would just like to see the poo' man's Open guys have to reload like the pedestrians in Production). 

10 hours ago, sfinney said:

Wow, 4 whole years? Not comparing sizes, but -  I have been shooting USPSA since 1994.   Locals, mids and majors. I tried to count it up but let's say at least 8 states, that I remember. So maybe I have a broader experience set than you have experienced in the last few years. Or maybe I have just been at the wrong clubs.

But these comments do happen, from time to time, towards new shooters, whether they asked for the advice, or people were just trying to be "helpful". 

Or maybe I'm just misremembering. 

I didn't say you didn't hear them

I said I didn't hear them

Thanks for the clarification!

I read it as you implied that as you didn't hear in anything like it in 4 years, you doubted that this is really occurring. 

I apologize if I took that incorrectly. My bad.

Have a great Maku Mozo day!

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2023 at 11:42 PM, 3gunDMD said:

How are you getting 24 in the mag? Are you using stock springs and followers?

Using stock springs and followers. I also always load using an Uplula and do the “load 4-5, flex them with the Uplula, load a few more” and repeat until I have 24 rounds. The 24th round is a bit tight in new mags, but they usually “break in” after a few matches. I have no problem reloading on the clock with a full 24-round mag. Hope you have better luck with yours. 

On 1/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, Sestock said:

Remove the word limited.  Call it "I'm too cheap for open" division

Glad somebody is still sane. The opposite of that is steel challenge where every dick can shoot a .22. Apparently USPSA is willing to start a new division every time some nut has a fantasy. Best way to kill interest in the sport. Make it about membership not shooting 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I have apparently picked an interesting time to enter into the world of USPSA and SC.  I wanted to start in limited, because I had a good used gun set up for it, and I thought it would help me to become a better shooter.  Now, with LO coming up, I can adopt the gun over since it has a plate. What would you recommend?

Also, I like SC better since I am just starting into the sport, as I feel that it will help me get used to competition and improve my draw stroke and vision skills.  Do many people start there and then move to USPSA?

Any and all commentary is welcome.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, WestPat said:

Hello, 

I have apparently picked an interesting time to enter into the world of USPSA and SC.  I wanted to start in limited, because I had a good used gun set up for it, and I thought it would help me to become a better shooter.  Now, with LO coming up, I can adopt the gun over since it has a plate. What would you recommend?

Also, I like SC better since I am just starting into the sport, as I feel that it will help me get used to competition and improve my draw stroke and vision skills.  Do many people start there and then move to USPSA?

Any and all commentary is welcome.

Starting in SC is a perfectly viable idea for the reasons you mentioned.

It is often recommended as a starting point for those just getting into action pistol shooting.

IDPA may be a gentler introduction to shooting and moving than USPSA but has some irritating tickytacky rules that USPSA does not. 

I'd shoot SC for a while and then hit up either an IDPA or USPSA match.

• 7 months later...

We had our last/biggest match of the year at my local club yesterday. 80 shooters. 

Carry optics 23

Limited optics 18

PCC 17

Limited 11 (4 major 7 minor)

Open 7 (5 major 2 minor) 

Single stack 2 (both major)

Production 1

Revolver 1 (minor)

GM open shooter took top spot 

https://practiscore.com/results/new/c84b7272-758c-487a-a33a-a5094143c849?q_division=0 

Edited by Chillywig

• 3 months later...

When LO was first introduced I was a diehard Open shooter. My thoughts was LO should’ve been rolled into CO but I had no interest in LO. Also had setups for Carry Optics and PCC. I like the dot. I just got new open guns at the end of 2022 and beginning of 2023 and in 9 major and 9 minor barrels. Started shooting 9 minor open and was liking it. Then the fire happened in August 2023 and I lost everything. The cost to replace my open guns were prohibitively high so now I’m settling for LO. I guess my opinion on LO has changed and now looking forward to shooting LO and using factory ammo.