Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm / 9Major powder

Kjrobbins24

23 minutes ago, APL-G35 said:

I've used HS^ for 9 major but am going to try and develope a Accurate 7 load this spring to test.  I guess it's dirtier but gassy and consistent.

What do you recommend as a starting load for a ladder using HS-6? I have been using AutoComp, but it's not running my Czechmate's compensator well enough due to lack of gas. I've also heard that HS6 is gassy and dirty, but dirtiness doesn't really matter to me.

Just now, VeilAndrew said:

What do you recommend as a starting load for a ladder using HS-6? I have been using AutoComp, but it's not running my Czechmate's compensator well enough due to lack of gas. I've also heard that HS6 is gassy and dirty, but dirtiness doesn't really matter to me.

I am currently loading for my 2011 open gum.  It's a 5.4 kkm barrel with 2 3/16 popple holes.  My load is a 124gr PD JHP at 1.165 and 8.3 gr of powder.  This load was a very consistent 175pf at Nats this year 1410, 1404 and 1411 FPS across the chrono

1 hour ago, VeilAndrew said:

My Bul Armory Bullesteros Open Gun gets 169 PF with 124gr MG JHP over 7.7 grains HS-6.  Never seems overly "dirty" to me.

Having tried and chrono'D the relevant powders available in the USA, I think you waste your time with anything slower than SWMP or AA7.  9mm is case capacity limited.  So, you want as much of a slow, dense powder as you can fit in.  My load is 10.8gr SWMP under a 115 JHP @ 1.161" OAL.  My comp could use more gas, but anything over 10.8 starts to spill out when the shell plate rotates.

I love ramshot competition and shooters world clean shot for 9 minor. Clean shot is less smoke but oddly a little dirty in the gun, I get little granuals with it but no issue with gun working. 

For 9 major all I've used is winchester autocomp. Works great for my open guns. 

I will hopefully never have to dip into my stash of titegroup again. Dirty, smokey, and meters like crap. 

• 3 weeks later...

Only 1500 rounds or so into 9 major but am loading the following for my czechmate:
124gr RMR MPRS
7.2gn WAC
1.15 OAL

Have a pound of AA7 that I'll try later in the year but so far, happy with how this is running the gun.

10 hours ago, rougeqc21 said:

Have a pound of AA7 that I'll try later in the year but so far, happy with how this is running the gun.

And when you do try AA7 you'll say oh crap.  I wish I had tried this sooner.

• 3 weeks later...