Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm / 9Major powder

Kjrobbins24

I am using two different loads of HS-6 in two different open guns. The with poppel holes I use 125 gr JHP with 8.5 gr of HS-6. The gun with out holes I use my 8.1 gr of HS-6.

I talked to two different open gun Gurus from two different ares before getting in to open, and they both had the same opinion that HS-6 has an easier  pressure spike  and is less likely to do damage to the guns.  One had over 75,000 rounds with no crack to the  slide and the other had almost 125,000 with no crack to the slide. They both also said the same thing about auto comp, that it has less felt  recoil but has a sharper pressure spike,  and most cracked slides they saw were when using it.

2 hours ago, bustopher4 said:

I am using two different loads of HS-6 in two different open guns. The with poppel holes I use 125 gr JHP with 8.5 gr of HS-6. The gun with out holes I use my 8.1 gr of HS-6.

I'm curious what Power Factor your "no popples" gun chronos with 8.1 grains of HS-6?  I use HS-6 as well but with only 7.7 grains I'm getting 170 PF.

Had a slide crack with only HS-6 loads and another local cracked one too with HS-6.   There's no magic bullet, 9mm major slides are wear items, whatever powder you use if you shoot enough of it.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, bustopher4 said:

I talked to two different open gun Gurus from two different ares before getting in to open, and they both had the same opinion that HS-6 has an easier  pressure spike  and is less likely to do damage to the guns.  One had over 75,000 rounds with no crack to the  slide and the other had almost 125,000 with no crack to the slide. They both also said the same thing about auto comp, that it has less felt  recoil but has a sharper pressure spike,  and most cracked slides they saw were when using it.

I have two open guns that I run 7.8 WAC with 115’s. Been running that for 8-10 years and had one slide crack but it was a defective STI slide when those were common

2 hours ago, APL-G35 said:

Anyone have a list of max case capacity with major powders?

That can vary lot to lot for powder and is also dependent on your specific projectile shape and weight. 

Lots of compressed load data is shared on Enos without people realizing its compressed. 

On 1/2/2023 at 9:23 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

The best I've found is Accurate no 7. Meters well and made major for an entire year across the country in majors and nationals.

I love this powder, and so does both my Dillon reloaders. The meters great and it's very consistent round to round.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:43 PM, usmc1974 said:

I love this powder, and so does both my Dillon reloaders. The meters great and it's very consistent round to round.

I just worked up a load with my new to me Rafferty Jelly Roll....HAP 115 on 10.6gr AA7 at 1.165.  Cleaning more often but very flat shooting.  Crony time this weekend.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, bustopher4 said:

I'd be interested in your experience running the 8.5 load in the gun without the poppel holes. I'm running that in my STI GM with a Thundercomp 2 - no poppels. Thinking was with the extra holes in the comp I'd need more gas... Thoughts?

Edited by frankge

3 hours ago, frankge said:

I'd be interested in your experience running the 8.5 load in the gun without the poppel holes. I'm running that in my STI GM with a Thundercomp 2 - no poppels. Thinking was with the extra holes in the comp I'd need more gas... Thoughts?

I'm running a 124 grain jacketed hollow point with 7.5 grs of AA # 7 and I'm getting really good velocities and good accuracy.

6 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I'm running a 124 grain jacketed hollow point with 7.5 grs of AA # 7 and I'm getting really good velocities and good accuracy.

Does that make major? I don't even break 165PF in my Czechmate until 8.7grs of AA#7 behind a 124gr FMJ projectile.

19 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

Does that make major? I don't even break 165PF in my Czechmate until 8.7grs of AA#7 behind a 124gr FMJ projectile.

No, it does not, it runs my 124's at about 1175. Back when I was running nine major I was using Auto comp and 125 grain bullet

4 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

No, it does not, it runs my 124's at about 1175. Back when I was running nine major I was using Auto comp and 125 grain bullet

Ah okay. Thought that was weirdly low 'cause we've been mostly talking about major loads in here. Cool 🙂

13 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

Ah okay. Thought that was weirdly low 'cause we've been mostly talking about major loads in here. Cool 🙂

125 fmj round nose 7.5 autocomp out of my SJC open Glock 17 made major, if I remember right. Been a long time since I shot open class though 

20 hours ago, frankge said:

Thinking was with the extra holes in the comp I'd need more gas... Thoughts?

Adding poppels with the same load will make the gun shoot flatter, but harder.  Making more gas helps correct that.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, Maximis228 said:

The most common 9 major powders over the last few years. 

WAC

HS6

3n37

3n38

AA7

Major Pistol 

I've used a majority of these and really liked WAC with 3n37 being 2nd for my G17 Open gun.