Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 IDPA rules changes

riden

6 hours ago, erwos said:

The real moral of this story is that IDPA needs to devolve responsibility for rules questions from ACs to some sort of IDPA NROI.

We used to have Robert Ray, who would at least give the HQ version and not leave it up to a multitude of ACs, kind of like district judges.  

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

We used to have Robert Ray, who would at least give the HQ version and not leave it up to a multitude of ACs, kind of like district judges.  

Being new to IDPA makes no sense that rules are different regionally do to each ACs interpretation of rules.

46 minutes ago, dtuns said:

Being new to IDPA makes no sense that rules are different regionally do to each ACs interpretation of rules.

if you wernt new youd realize its different match to match,, stag to stage,, or even from SO to SO on the exact same stage due to a piss poor rule book going back to the original. 
And yep none of it makes sense and never has..
You just have to go to a local match and see if you like it and how its run and what their version of rules are.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:03 AM, erwos said:

The AC here has ruled that barrel comps are flatly not allowed. I am not sure I agree with this ruling (it's not what the rules actually say), but that's a data point for everyone involved. Guess I'll run my P320 X5L with a ported barrel.

Just to point out IDPA things, the AC here told me the Staccato XC would be allowed since the comp is machined as part of the barrel. 

Edit...also who's your AC? We're not that far apart might be the same guy. My area it's Cody. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Just to point out IDPA things, the AC here told me the Staccato XC would be allowed since the comp is machined as part of the barrel. 

Edit...also who's your AC? We're not that far apart might be the same guy. My area it's Cody. 

Cody wrote in an email that "barrel comps are not allowed". And then he told someone the XC is OK. So, basically, I don't f*#king know anymore, except for certain remarks about the situation in general.

I'm bringing my perma-pressed carry comp 2011 to the next match. :P

1 hour ago, erwos said:

Cody wrote in an email that "barrel comps are not allowed". And then he told someone the XC is OK. So, basically, I don't f*#king know anymore, except for certain remarks about the situation in general.

I'm bringing my perma-pressed carry comp 2011 to the next match. :P

It's possible he didn't fully understand my question. Maybe he wasn't familiar with the XC. 

I worded it like "Is it correct that the staccato XC would be legal because the comp is machined into the slide, but the sig specter comp that has the comp threaded onto the barrel would not be legal" His response was "yes".

He may not realize you can have a comp and barrel that's one piece but looks just like a threaded on comp from the outside. He may of pictured my comment of "machined into" differently that I was intending. 

But, he did say the XC was legal. lol. 

Staccato says the XC compensator is "integrated", not integral.  I think we need to inspect one with a big wrench to see if it is removable.  

But the XC MUST be acceptable, else the rule change is senseless.  There are not enough guns out there with only superfluous holes in the barrel to warrant consideration.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

if you wernt new youd realize its different match to match,, stag to stage,, or even from SO to SO on the exact same stage due to a piss poor rule book going back to the original. 
And yep none of it makes sense and never has..
You just have to go to a local match and see if you like it and how its run and what their version of rules are.

So its just like two different Christian denominations that interpret the bible differently. LOL

48 minutes ago, MarilynMonbro said:

It's not nearly as bad as this thread is making it sound. 

I agree, the worry about competition gear being illegal i think will be a big nothing burger. The comp rule is silly and hard to follow, it'll probably bite a few people who don't read it themselves. If you moved to a drop offset holster you'll need to go back to your old rig. 

I think that's the big stuff I saw. 

15 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I agree, the worry about competition gear being illegal i think will be a big nothing burger. The comp rule is silly and hard to follow, it'll probably bite a few people who don't read it themselves. If you moved to a drop offset holster you'll need to go back to your old rig. 

I think that's the big stuff I saw. 

Can you show the the exact verbiage about the dropped/offset holster?  Mine is still covered by the vest.

20 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Can you show the the exact verbiage about the dropped/offset holster?  Mine is still covered by the vest.

I don't have the book on this pc. But it says something about the gun can only be the width of your magazine away from your belt. 

Per my AC this may change as lady shooters are having trouble with it. 

13 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I don't have the book on this pc. But it says something about the gun can only be the width of your magazine away from your belt. 

That's it. Drop/offset is technically not illegal, but most drop mounts will move the gun too far out.

17 minutes ago, matteekay said:

That's it. Drop/offset is technically not illegal, but most drop mounts will move the gun too far out.

Yeah, you can have what ever you want really. I tried it with a boss and using really short spacers bringing the gun in about as far and you could and it still didn't really make it. My goal was to be able to use the same holster for both games, but I just couldn't pull it off. 

yeah, in what orientation is the mag? That makes a big difference. And someone like me, the widest part of me still doesn't over hang my belt so even a regular holster might make me illegal. Which is ridiculous. Some skinny people shoot idpa....

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

yeah, in what orientation is the mag? That makes a big difference. And someone like me, the widest part of me still doesn't over hang my belt so even a regular holster might make me illegal. Which is ridiculous. Some skinny people shoot idpa....

and if I understand 8.5.1.13 the distance rules do not apply if you are fat enough such that your love handle touches the holster?

am I reading that right?

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

This was always true until the 2022 rules removed basically all holster limitations. Back in the days of the dowel, the rulebook even used to say "Some holsters may not be legal for certain body types".

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

The rule says the width of the mag and it is the distance from the belt not the body so I'd think that most any carry type holster would work. But I'm not sure any of the specifications matter now that 8.1 mandates that MDs make judgement calls on whether or not the equipment meets some pretty vague "practical" criteria. Like gear must be specifically designed for everyday carry and NOT for competition use. What drop/offset hanger is sold because moving the gun down and away from the belt is better for concealment?

8.1 Firearms – General

Equipment: All equipment used in Defensive Pistol divisions at matches must meet the following simple guidelines: equipment must be practical for self-defense use. It must be suitable for all-day continuous wear and concealed. And must be worn in a manner that would be suitable for all-day continuous wear. The match director will be REQUIRED to disallow any equipment that does not meet these simple criteria. If you wouldn't carry it in public to defend yourself, you can't shoot or use it in a Defensive Pistol division for competition. [1] Another criterion used to assess gear will be to ask how this would appear to patrons in a local shopping mall or supermarket in regions where open carry is not permitted. If you can conceal your pistol holster with a light windbreaker and comfortably draw your pistol while seated in an automobile with bucket seats, your holster is probably okay. [2] -- Reference: [1] & [2] IDPA Official Rulebook 10- 26-96

Equipment Guidelines: Gear permitted for Defensive Pistol competition must be specifically designed for everyday carry (NOT for range or competition use) and must be completely concealed. This includes firearm accessories, aftermarket parts, holsters, ammunition carriers, and garments that are not otherwise specified in the current rulebook.

Regional Coordinators in consultation with HQ will review and decide which equipment best meet IDPA criteria to assist Area Coordinators and Match Directors as needed. This will be determined by a combination of reviewing manufacturer websites, industry surveys, and visiting public venues to determine whether a product is compatible with the principles of the sport.

Edited by bdpaz