2023 IDPA rules changes

riden

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

That anyone would think such leeway belongs in any sport is a f*#king joke

Really. A rulebook should contain primarily objective criteria. Pass/fail, yes/no, etc.

To intentionally codify a subjective viewpoint to this extent is ludicrous. 

It really makes you wonder who thought this was a good idea.

Does anybody sanity check this stuff? Apparently not.

In all seriousness I know a few people that are not going to renew. Said they’ll shoot club matches, but no more sanctioned matches.

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Every time I think of renewing my membership, IDPA does something to make me say

2 hours ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

All I know is I took my slide and barrel to my machinist yesterday after hearing about the new rule changes.  I’m looking forward to it.  

D0DA4832-083E-43F0-8DB1-032823560994.jpeg

Strong move. I'm too dumb to navigate the IDPA book but someone showed me how the new rules allowed for porting of a barrel in ESP. When I asked if porting of a slide was allowed, I didn't get a definitive answer.

2 hours ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

All I know is I took my slide and barrel to my machinist yesterday after hearing about the new rule changes.  I’m looking forward to it.

Nice, really nice, but it would make it a pain to shoot from retention.

17 minutes ago, YVK said:

Strong move. I'm too dumb to navigate the IDPA book but someone showed me how the new rules allowed for porting of a barrel in ESP. When I asked if porting of a slide was allowed, I didn't get a definitive answer.

Well I’ll gladly be the Guinea pig and find out if it’s actually legal or not 😂.   

1 hour ago, YVK said:

It's always been allowed. A.2.3 is not an inclusive list, unlike other divisions' "Permitted Modifications".

10 hours ago, YVK said:

You've been able to cut up your slide since like 2017 I think. 

13 minutes ago, shred said:

Expect to see a lot more retention in stages if your MD is upset about comps and ports.  Unless they did away with shooting from retention too.

I hate retention shooting. I got dinged once because my elbow was like a inch off my body. PE...difference between 1st and 2nd was like 1 second. Oof. 

45 minutes ago, shred said:

Expect to see a lot more retention in stages if your MD is upset about comps and ports.  Unless they did away with shooting from retention too.

I’m okay with that.   If you know how to shoot from retention properly then a comp or barrel ports make no difference.  

25 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Nail meet coffin. Where's my hammer? Oh wait, they're providing their own. 

I'm not in love with the rule changes (I see very few that are a step forward), but I do have to wonder how many times this has been said. I feel like IDPA has been "dying" for at least ten years. I guess we'll see.

21 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I think idpa will see some new blood with the integral comps and barrel porting now allowed.   I have several buddies who have guns that never did fit into idpa rule sets but now do.  

I really don't. I could be wrong but, I feel at this point they'll just go over and shoot USPSA because it's now easier and more fun.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

I'm not in love with the rule changes (I see very few that are a step forward), but I do have to wonder how many times this has been said. I feel like IDPA has been "dying" for at least ten years. I guess we'll see.

For me personally, it is a fossil

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

IDPA's popularity in my area is a tiny fraction of USPSA's, and the skillset of the participants is unquestionably higher in the latter.