Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 IDPA rules changes

riden

22 hours ago, Thomas H said:

I don't see the current rules for holster being appreciably different than previous ones, OTHER than they are slightly more lax in specifics.

I am not talking about the change in holsters, I'm talking about the ease of conceivability.

Edited by usmc1974

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Being a fair weather shooter, I have not gotten to the range operated by the AC, but when I do, I will ask him about a couple of these items.  

Does he really care if I would or would not wear my Team Mediocre shooting vest to the grocery store?

(I wear the plain one.)

Is a 1911 specifically designed for daily carry?

(It has been a while since even my Commander went to town.)

Is my protege really going to have to replace her drop-offset holster as used to be specifically approved for women?

(I will let him explain that one to her and to his wife and daughter and the other Ladies on that range.)

On 2/19/2023 at 7:55 AM, RangerTrace said:

Out Area Rep told us last week that all these holster changes mentioned are going away.  Vests will still be GTG.

No kidding... really? 

(I'm not complaining.)

On 2/19/2023 at 10:59 AM, Jim Watson said:

Being a fair weather shooter, I have not gotten to the range operated by the AC, but when I do, I will ask him about a couple of these items.  

Does he really care if I would or would not wear my Team Mediocre shooting vest to the grocery store?

(I wear the plain one.)

Is a 1911 specifically designed for daily carry?

(It has been a while since even my Commander went to town.)

Is my protege really going to have to replace her drop-offset holster as used to be specifically approved for women?

(I will let him explain that one to her and to his wife and daughter and the other Ladies on that range.)

My AC told me a while back that holster rule was probably changing primarily due to issues it will cause lady shooters. I imagine for now, woman wont have issues if they use old gear in our area. 

7 minutes ago, SSGGlock said:

New rule book out today. 

True story. I'm gonna look it over but it looks pretty minor. Interesting that they basically wrote a rule to specifically allow the Enigma holster.

Edited by matteekay

This is what I've seen:

• Magazine base pads can weigh up to 1.5oz for SSP, ESP, and CDP.
  • Standards can be more prescriptive than they were previously (including specifying order of engagement and requiring re-engagement of targets).
  • Clarifying language around the "suitable for everyday use" requirements from the prior rulebook. I think they're basically trying to say "nothing that would only work in competition" (though I never realized this was an issue).
  • A new rule that specifically allows the Enigma holster and circumvents the belt loop requirement.

The changes to Standards stages are actually a pretty big deal in terms of design. This should allow for more USPSA classifier-style stages.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:35 AM, matteekay said:

A new rule that specifically allows the Enigma holster and circumvents the belt loop requirement.

Where did you see this?  From what I'm reading, the 8.4 rule is still intact

1 hour ago, UpYoursPal said:

Where did you see this?  From what I'm reading, the 8.4 rule is still intact

8.4 Belts

Belts may be no wider than 1-3 /4 inches or thicker than 5 /16 inches and must pass through a minimum of all but two oft he pant loops. Some holsters for concealment come with integrated belts that may be worn under their clothing that

are legal for IDPA provided they maintain the firearm in the same orientation allowed by holster rules when performingactions needed on a stage.

I was about to post the same question but I figured out the source of UpYoursPal and my confusion. The top google result for "IDPA 2023 Rulebook" is version 2023.1, which doesn't have that language.

MarylinMonbro is referencing 2023.2 which is more recent, and has specific wording. Very glad to see this since I just picked up an Enigma.

In my area, the current hot topic relates to SSP legal guns.
Several folks have Caniks and Sigs that come from the factory with a removable magwell - X5 Legion for example.
Well folks for a long time have just been removing the magwell and running them in SSP but the debate now has to do with the whole "must look exactly like the SKU photo".
So to take a magwell off - not the same as the SKU photo so not legal in SSP.  Leave magwell on - looks like SKU but magwells are not legal in SSP.  
I have friends with Caniks that are all up in arms about it and I have an X5 Legion without a magwell I have run in SSP in the past, so I am very curious how this all shakes out.

SSP Excluded Modifications. A.1.1.4. Add-on magazine well opening. NO magwells allowed that can be removed and reinstalled. Factory or aftermarket.

“SKU photo” doesn’t apply to this rule.  Mag wells must come off.  

This will not shake out any other way.

10 hours ago, bigdog02 said:

In my area, the current hot topic relates to SSP legal guns.
Several folks have Caniks and Sigs that come from the factory with a removable magwell - X5 Legion for example.
Well folks for a long time have just been removing the magwell and running them in SSP but the debate now has to do with the whole "must look exactly like the SKU photo".
So to take a magwell off - not the same as the SKU photo so not legal in SSP.  Leave magwell on - looks like SKU but magwells are not legal in SSP.  
I have friends with Caniks that are all up in arms about it and I have an X5 Legion without a magwell I have run in SSP in the past, so I am very curious how this all shakes out.

Some people around here were trying to twist that into being able to run magwells in CO. That's probably nicer than saying they were trying to cheat, knowing full well magwells have never been allowed in SSP. The new rule book clarified that they really aren't allowed just like everyone already knew. 

13 hours ago, JWhit said:

SSP Excluded Modifications. A.1.1.4. Add-on magazine well opening. NO magwells allowed that can be removed and reinstalled. Factory or aftermarket.

“SKU photo” doesn’t apply to this rule.  Mag wells must come off.  

This will not shake out any other way.

Yup, exactly.  It was more of an issue with if people couple legally run a Legion or Canik with the magwell off in SSP.