Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They used to make steel mandrels to whack trigger bows (esp Paras) over to stretch them a little like a jewelers' ring-sizer, but that was before the turn of the century... figured things would be better by now.

2 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

That is weird. How much tweaking can be done to the bow before it get distorted ?

I thought the same thing.  There’s just too much dead space from bow to disco to see it not being a disaster.  
It’s not the end of the world though.  I don’t see too many people throwing Infinity triggers in their builds anymore.  I put the prodigy bow back in and kept tweaked for 2.15lbs.  
Its obviously some proprietary design in their grip.  
Probably helps with any kind of copyright/patent thing or something.  

Dear vendors… let’s see a Nitro Fin or something similar for Prodigy!!! 

This combo feels insanely good! But it doesn’t fit in the recessed area.
Thought about fitting it but it would cut too close to the cross pin.  A few mags and it would snap it for sure.  
Thumb safety is the Atlas high ride.  

Somebody out there go get rich off my idea haha! 

#NitroFin, #AtlasGunWorks, #Springfield Armory, #ShootingSportsInnovations 

B2EED06D-D38A-4458-99B2-E1F024F0B462.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

My state finally approved these. I'll do the paperwork tomorrow, then my 7 day wait and I can finally have one.

It's nice to live in a free country with rights and such. 

How does that whole process work?  How long does a gun take to get on the list?  Who puts it on the list?  Do citizens request specific firearms? 

20 minutes ago, Douglee25 said:

How does that whole process work?  How long does a gun take to get on the list?  Who puts it on the list?  Do citizens request specific firearms? 

So if a gun comes out and I want it, someone will need to buy one have it shipped to a ffl. They you fill out a form and ship the gun to the states review board. At their next meeting it gets reviewed and approved, then after 30 days it gets added to the list of guns we're allowed to own. They meet quarterly, so this process can take several months. 

The prodigy was reviewed at the Dec meeting and is just going on the list now. I bought one a few weeks ago and sent it to a local FFL so I can start my waiting period as soon as it hit the list. We have a 7 day wait. My FFL will also have to pin the mags to 10 rounds as we can't transfer hi-capacity mags in state. 

I talked to someone at a match last month that just bought a DWX and didn't know these rules. He wont be able to take possession of that gun for 4-6 months. Sucks to drop that much money and not ever realize what you're getting into. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

So if a gun comes out and I want it, someone will need to buy one have it shipped to a ffl. They you fill out a form and ship the gun to the states review board. At their next meeting it gets reviewed and approved, then after 30 days it gets added to the list of guns we're allowed to own. They meet quarterly, so this process can take several months. 

The prodigy was reviewed at the Dec meeting and is just going on the list now. I bought one a few weeks ago and sent it to a local FFL so I can start my waiting period as soon as it hit the list. We have a 7 day wait. My FFL will also have to pin the mags to 10 rounds as we can't transfer hi-capacity mags in state. 

I talked to someone at a match last month that just bought a DWX and didn't know these rules. He wont be able to take possession of that gun for 4-6 months. Sucks to drop that much money and not ever realize what you're getting into. 

Damn.  That's quite the process. 

Texas has open doors if you want to come down this way!  

I went and did the paperwork on mine last night. I stole the top end off the gun since all the FFL really needs to hold is the frame. I've read the chambers are really tight, I figured I'd need to run my finish reamer through it but mine was good. I did go ahead and polish up the chamber and ramp.

I noticed inside the firing pin channel was super gritty, making it hard to even get the firing pin in and out. So I cleaned that up. I had a Dawson ext. pin laying around so I put that in it with a new wolf FP spring. I noticed the factory FP spring is a lot longer than a typical spring. 

My extractor seems fine at first glance. I do have a EGW in my box if I have any problems. 

I like the plate design, and mounted up a holosun EPS. This optic seems pretty nice, and sits really low on the slide. I'm not a huge fan of how tall the sights are TBH. I took the rear off, and I'm tempted to take the front off too. For now I figure I'll shoot it a little first. If I'm going to have backup irons I want them really short and just barely in the window since they're not my primary.

I dumped the factory two piece guide rod and will use a tool less part from atlas. No interest in two piece rods. 

Mags look good, I did tweak the feed lips just a touch. For the price I hope they work well. 

I'll dig into the frame when I get it, I don't currently plan to do much on that either unless I see something I really don't like. 

I just picked up a 5" yesterday. I stripped it and did some minor clean up on the trigger track and bow. I took it out and ran 200 rounds through it with no problems (135gr SNS - 3.8gr W231 - 1.12"). The fixed sights were on at 15 yards. It's probably too early to tell, but it looks like Springfield may have addressed some of the issues with the 5" version.

It defiantly needs some tuning. The trigger is 4.5 lbs and is creepy. The grip has some really sharp edges around the mainspring housing. It's also a little over sprung and I can feel the slide hanging on the disco. One nice thing I noticed is they ditched the 220 grip safety and went with the standard. 

Overall, a pretty good value for $1250 (firstline price). I'd say it's fit and finish is almost on par with their TRP line (not quite as good, but close).