Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Douglee25 said:

I have to chuckle but I called a shop this weekend to check availability on the 5".  The guy said he would definitely NOT recommend it!  He was adamant until Springfield figured out the issues.  Haha.  It sure does look sweet! 

So, I have no personal experience with the 5-in gun, but from what I've seen if they don't work you send them to Springfield and you get them back in a couple of weeks working just fine.  If I wanted a 5 inch gun I probably wouldn't stress on it none and would just buy it with an expectation of maybe having to send it back in. That's what I did with the four and a quarter, but I got lucky I guess.

Also everybody apparently having to send them back to Springfield is getting free shipping both ways and there's no extraneous cost to them. I know it sucks to get a new gun that doesn't work, but I've seen a lot of people pay a lot more money for guns and have to send them back to get them fixed up, and many times have to pay shipping at least one direction

40 minutes ago, RJH said:

So, I have no personal experience with the 5-in gun, but from what I've seen if they don't work you send them to Springfield and you get them back in a couple of weeks working just fine.  If I wanted a 5 inch gun I probably wouldn't stress on it none and would just buy it with an expectation of maybe having to send it back in. That's what I did with the four and a quarter, but I got lucky I guess.

Also everybody apparently having to send them back to Springfield is getting free shipping both ways and there's no extraneous cost to them. I know it sucks to get a new gun that doesn't work, but I've seen a lot of people pay a lot more money for guns and have to send them back to get them fixed up, and many times have to pay shipping at least one direction

Yeah, that is a good point I've pondered as well. 

I'm also kicking around the CZ TS2 or the CZ Shadow 2...They both look like stellar guns as well.  Choices.... 

For people that have handled the prodigy, do you think this would be a good entry level 2011 to tinker with? I've never owned a 19/2011 before. From what I've read it doesn't use many/any proprietary parts like grip or magazines so I was thinking this could make a good platform to start with knowing I'm going to modify it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20230102-105239.png.409e2cf8bd2563f8685bec04f80ced56.png

Springfield finally got around to getting my plate, limited optics gun is a little bit closer. I'm going to hold off on buying a magwell until I know they're not going to just put Sao guns in carryops. Going to shoot it at a match this weekend hopefully it keeps working LOL 

If it does keep working be time for a trigger job. Everything else will wait till rules are finalized

9 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Can the rear sight be removed from that plate?

Yeah, you can drift it out. The sights sit so low in the optic though you don't really notice them unless you're really looking for them

Took it to an indoor range to do a little sighting in and a little more function testing and to just see how it acted with the Red Dot. Got another hundred rounds through it no issues, and I like that SRO. 

Shooting with the irons still on the gun did not seem to be an issue, I didn't even see them while firing. I figure I'll just leave them on

Also I was curious how Smokey the glass on the SRO was going to get. On the humble Marksman video, you can see in the slow mo how the little witness hole in the back of the chamber was venting gas and smoking up the DOT on his hex optic. The way the plate is with the SRO, the bottom of the site actually sits over that little hole, so I was afraid it may be bad. But after a hundred rounds of mostly Smokey lead ammo, the lens is still crystal clear. I don't know how many rounds I'll have to shoot to get it smokey. But maybe the bottom of the site housing is blocking the gas, I'm not sure. Maybe I just didn't shoot enough yet

10 hours ago, RJH said:

Screenshot_20230102-105239.png.409e2cf8bd2563f8685bec04f80ced56.png

Springfield finally got around to getting my plate, limited optics gun is a little bit closer. I'm going to hold off on buying a magwell until I know they're not going to just put Sao guns in carryops. Going to shoot it at a match this weekend hopefully it keeps working LOL 

If it does keep working be time for a trigger job. Everything else will wait till rules are finalized

What screws did you use to mount the SRO? Been hearing the ones that come with the optic won’t fit

2 minutes ago, darmster said:

What screws did you use to mount the SRO? Been hearing the ones that come with the optic won’t fit

I used the ones that came with the SRO. I did have to file them off. I saw somewhere, I can't remember if it was in this thread or in a different place, that if you call trijicon they will send you the correct length screws for free. But I'd waited two months on the plate and I wasn't going to wait a week or so on some screws LOL.  Took about 5 minutes of filing. Probably could do it faster but I just didn't want to mess my plate up or anything

9 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

What’s the deal with there apparently being a different sear spring in the Prodigy? 

How is it different? 

I had mine out and did not notice anything any different from a standard 1911 sear spring. I didn't lay it next to a standard 1911 sear spring, and I wasn't really looking for anything to be different, but they appeared to be standard stuff to me

28 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

What’s the deal with there apparently being a different sear spring in the Prodigy? 

How is it different? 

Sear spring is the same.  Mainspring is shorter.

Mine is on order I should get it (the 4.25”) by end of the week.  
It seems like they tweaked a few things enough to be annoying for repairs.  
Ex: 

- The loaded chamber port on the barrel. Anyone have issues with it gassing up the lens in their dots? (Or is that rumor?)

- The spring issue:  Apparently diff enough that EWG has you choose Prodigy so they can give you a specific part in their ignition kit.  

- The recoil bushing: talked to Atlas today.  They say their tool-less guide rod won’t come with a bushing because you ‘must’ use the Prodigy one.  

Obviously none of this stopped me from buying one 😝 and I’m stoked about it.  Just wondering.  

BTW: I got mine with FirstLine/LE pricing for $1250 (with a free additional 20r mag) at SSD International (free shipping and no xfer fee).  My local store wants $2k for the used one on display so, yeah $1250 vs above MSRP or $2500 for some of the other brands was a bargain.  
🎉 

15 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

Mine is on order I should get it (the 4.25”) by end of the week.  
It seems like they tweaked a few things enough to be annoying for repairs.  
Ex: 

- The loaded chamber port on the barrel. Anyone have issues with it gassing up the lens in their dots? (Or is that rumor?)

- The spring issue:  Apparently diff enough that EWG has you choose Prodigy so they can give you a specific part in their ignition kit.  

- The recoil bushing: talked to Atlas today.  They say their tool-less guide rod won’t come with a bushing because you ‘must’ use the Prodigy one.  

Obviously none of this stopped me from buying one 😝 and I’m stoked about it.  Just wondering.  

BTW: I got mine with FirstLine/LE pricing for $1250 (with a free additional 20r mag) at SSD International (free shipping and no xfer fee).  My local store wants $2k for the used one on display so, yeah $1250 vs above MSRP or $2500 for some of the other brands was a bargain.  
🎉 

Only about 100 rounds with sro installed, but no smoking the glass yet, may have more effect on other optics depending on position, idk for sure. 

Mine was 1399 new at the local store, the one the they have now is at MSRP. Idk why anyone pays more than MSRP for guns that are still being made. A little patience goes a long way.

The guide rod is a non issue to me I ain't replacing it or any other internals until they break. My trigger guy has gotten the triggers down to 2-2.5 pounds with factory parts. I am going to shoot one more match and then let him work on it. The factory trigger is ~4.5#

9 hours ago, RJH said:

Only about 100 rounds with sro installed, but no smoking the glass yet, may have more effect m

Good to know.  Yeah I saw the $2k Prodigy at Shoot Straight in Clearwater FL.  They (the franchise in general) have been above MSRP on nearly every gun/bullet for years now.  

Like you, I’ll probably hold off on the ignition kit for a while, see where it goes for a bit.  Probably shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want for a while to see how this Limited Optics talk plays out… 👀 

Edited by SufferInSilence

I ordered a 4.25" model yesterday. I got it for 1299 +tax. It's not currently legal here, so I wont be able to take possession of it until it gets added to our roster in a few weeks, then the standard waiting period. So probably the end of the month.

I ordered a plate for a 507k I have sitting on my bench. I'm debating on changing the guide rod, I'm not a huge fan of two piece guide rods. Maybe I'll just drill a hole in it and red Loctite it into one piece. Or maybe I'll buy a new one.

I hear the chambers can be rough, but I have a finish reamer and a throating reamer so I'll probably touch that up and polish it then see how it goes. Maybe work the trigger just a little, but I don't plan to replace any parts until something fails. 

I did shoot open minor with a LO gun last weekend. It was a 40 Limited gun I rebuild into a 9mm. It was fun, I did loose to a CO guy. I had a couple mistakes costing me some time and one malfunction. The mag I used on that stage was a old gen 1 that's pretty sus, I think I'm just going to retire all my old mags and get new Atlas or MBX mags. I think if it was a normal 6 stage match instead of only 4 I could of made up the ground. 

Currently registered in open minor for 2 majors next year. Should be fun.