Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can turn one of these into a very nice piece with minimal effort and cost.  Mostly you just need to polish contact surfaces and make some minor adjustments.  Basically, what's listed below.  And if you're going to put a lot of rounds through it, replace the hammer and sear with some better quality parts.  Beyond that, it's just personal preference for how far you want to take it.

• polish slide bore, breach face, disco rail, hammer and sear contact surfaces
  • debur firing pin hole
  • adjust extractor and polish hook
  • polish hammer hooks
  • recut sear angles
  • tune sear spring
  • change mainspring
  • clean chamber with finish reamer
  • polish chamber and feed ramp

So can anyone confirm a magwell that will work on the Prodigy grip? 

I've heard the Dawson Gen2 Stacatto "tactical advantage" magwell... And I've heard the regular Dawson "tactical advantage" magwell... Which seems conflicting. 

I've got a box full of various 2011 magwells, and a couple are close, I could probably make them work with some modification, but they are all big competition magwells. I'm looking for a smaller "tactical" magwell that will require the least amount of modification. 

9 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

So can anyone confirm a magwell that will work on the Prodigy grip? 

I've heard the Dawson Gen2 Stacatto "tactical advantage" magwell... And I've heard the regular Dawson "tactical advantage" magwell... Which seems conflicting. 

I've got a box full of various 2011 magwells, and a couple are close, I could probably make them work with some modification, but they are all big competition magwells. I'm looking for a smaller "tactical" magwell that will require the least amount of modification. 

Same here, I have a few extras laying around that look like they’ll work.  Looks like the little ribs are designed to make it a tight fit.  

I'm not sure of the exact model that people are using, I know it's one of the Dawson ones. I have seen people say to get it to fit you have to shave the little ribs off the side of the grip

2 hours ago, Davecambell said:

Any word on when the 5 inchers are coming out again?

And has the reliability of them improved in the 5 inch models?

I actually held one for the first time yesterday.  It felt good in my hand and fit and finish looked decent, but I didn't walk out with it.  The reliability posts haunted me slightly.  By the time I would potentially have to go through the gun, I'm 3/4 "of the way there to a custom gun I've been eyeing up. 

9 minutes ago, Douglee25 said:

And has the reliability of them improved in the 5 inch models?

I actually held one for the first time yesterday.  It felt good in my hand and fit and finish looked decent, but I didn't walk out with it.  The reliability posts haunted me slightly.  By the time I would potentially have to go through the gun, I'm 3/4 "of the way there to a custom gun I've been eyeing up. 

If it doesn't work, let Springfield fix it. A lot of custom guns get to go back too

46 minutes ago, Davecambell said:

What custom gun can come close on price? Lets say I bought a 5 inch and sent it to a smithy. What would be the cost to unfornicate it?

It doesn't necessarily come out exactly dollar for dollar but.... 

Prodigy - 1500

Parts - 300-500

My time or a gunsmith - 500

Multiple range tests (3-4) - 50-70/visit = 150 - 200+

Total - 2300-2500 + 150 - 200+ for range visits 

Custom Gun - 2500-3000 and higher probably it works out of the gate 

Just now, Zachjet said:

Interesting  never herd of that brand.  Gunna look them up

I spec'ed one out and it was around 2700/2750 ish for something identical to the Prodigy.  Biggest difference is that all the internals are Wilson Combat, mags are MBX, it's hand assembled and fitted, and the finish is better quality. 

On paper it's probably 1000 more than the Prodigy if you install the Prodigy parts yourself and don't count your labor.  The older I get, the more I realize my time is more valuable than money. 

!!ADVICE!! !!HELP!!

I just installed the red dot plate for the SRO tonight.  The factory mount screws from Trijicon are too long for the plate/dot setup.  

Anyone know where to get the right length Trijicon screws for the prodigy plates? 

(See pics for details) 

* Also, I installed the AGW tool-less guide rod (with 8# recoil spring) and their high angle thumb safety and a 17# hammer spring.  
polished everything that rubbed and got a nice 2.3# trigger out of it.  

97F74AD1-5D05-49B6-9854-F47D48ACD278.jpeg

E288FE15-A658-4F77-8E34-E60258532CCB.jpeg

7 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

!!ADVICE!! !!HELP!!

I just installed the red dot plate for the SRO tonight.  The factory mount screws from Trijicon are too long for the plate/dot setup.  

Anyone know where to get the right length Trijicon screws for the prodigy plates? 

(See pics for details) 

* Also, I installed the AGW tool-less guide rod (with 8# recoil spring) and their high angle thumb safety and a 17# hammer spring.  

97F74AD1-5D05-49B6-9854-F47D48ACD278.jpeg

E288FE15-A658-4F77-8E34-E60258532CCB.jpeg

Take the plate off the gun, mount optic to plate with long screws, turn plate with optic mounted  over, file off screws till they are flush with plate, dismount optic from plate, mount plate to gun, mount optic to plate, done. Takes about 5-10 minutes

Also, I installed the AGW tool-less guide rod (with 8# recoil spring) and their high angle thumb safety and a 17# hammer spring.  

👍

After you fitted properly thumb safety   and did a good trigger job , I'm surprised that you have difficulty shortening 2  f.......  screws to the appropriate length.😉

4 hours ago, yigal said:

After you fitted properly thumb safety   and did a good trigger job , I'm surprised that you have difficulty shortening 2  f.......  screws to the appropriate length.😉

Hahahaha!
Im a decent enough bush-league gun smith but, I don’t wanna risk stripping holes on a $500 optic, especially if there is a proper solution out there.  😂 

I’ll be fitting an Infinity trigger in next week.  
I’d like to see Dawson make an ICE Magwell for 2011 that’s more in size with the single stack variant.