Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

I've had a 4.5 for a while (4 months?) and I'm running it stock with a TLR-1 hung off the front end.  Maybe I got lucky, it's been 100% since day 1, smooth, and a 2.75 lb trigger after about 1000 rounds.  I can feel the slide hit the disconnector when slowly racking it by hand but no problems when firing.  Did add an EGW shock buff.

I have a 5" coming next week (damn you Brownell's, under $1150 so I couldn't say no) that I'll find out if it's the "newer" model.

Depending on the condition of the 5" after I get it (assuming I don't have to send it in immediately on arrival), I'll probably end up sending the 4.25" back to Springfield to see what they can do about the disco and any other changes they want to make.

Have Red Dirt triggers on order for both to adjust the pretravel on, but won't install them until I send the gun(s) to Springfield for "updates" as needed first.

Have enough full size Wolff springs around I'll probably test them on the 5" and see what works best for 135PF ammo.  Any tips?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about getting one of these guns. You guys have any more input on how these have been running. I was considering asking the forum about the 4.25 vs 5 inch guns. Of course I want to run 147gr powder puff loads and expect 100% reliability 🧐🤣 

6 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I was thinking about getting one of these guns. You guys have any more input on how these have been running. I was considering asking the forum about the 4.25 vs 5 inch guns. Of course I want to run 147gr powder puff loads and expect 100% reliability 🧐🤣 

I am only at about 1500 rounds, and have had one jam, of course it had to be during a match. And that was with the mag that I put all the new guts in. And it looked like a MAG issue but I didn't really stop to pay attention mid stage LOL. 

That's about halfway through a match and I cleaned that mag and ran it the rest of the day and it was fine.

I still have all the factory springs in the gun, and run 130 power factor 130 grain loads 

In other words I'm still very happy with the gun

I picked one up the other day.  5 inch model.  Haven’t replaced anything yet other than the main spring.  Took a 17 and cut two coils off and tweaked the sear spring some.  2lbs 2 ounces on my trigger gauge.  I plan to replace all the internals and put an MPA aluminum grip on it.  Almost 1000 rounds through it as of today and it’s still running like a top   However I don’t expect my trigger job to hold up with their crappy trigger components.     I’ve been running 147s at 950 through it without issue.  

Edited by OpenshooterMclass4lyfe

11 minutes ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I don’t expect my trigger job to hold up with their crappy trigger components.

Whereas my OEM trigger is getting better every 500 rounds. I don’t have a problem with the components they’ve included, but I understand some people want different materials.

59 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Whereas my OEM trigger is getting better every 500 rounds. I don’t have a problem with the components they’ve included, but I understand some people want different materials.

I just don’t expect it to hold up.   Which is my I’m upgrading the internals.   

I had kind of shied away from these due to some negative reports I had heard. But this sounds like more positive experiences than bad. I go back and forth between the 4.25 and 5 inch guns and having a hard time deciding. And I do like to and plan to tinker on it. But more because I enjoy making improvements vs needs to make fixes to get something to work. 

2 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I had kind of shied away from these due to some negative reports I had heard. But this sounds like more positive experiences than bad. I go back and forth between the 4.25 and 5 inch guns and having a hard time deciding. And I do like to and plan to tinker on it. But more because I enjoy making improvements vs needs to make fixes to get something to work. 

All this… yes! I’ve easily pushed the boundaries of the prodigy (4.25”) long before there was a division or popularity for it.  Mine is every bit comparable to $3800+ guns.   

I’ve not had the negative experiences others claimed but I did my dilegence before hand: 

- took it apart from the box and cleaned it, polished the disco, feed ramp, chamber etc.  

- racked the slide 100s of times while watching tv (to losen up things and wear parts in)

-  shot 100 rounds, cleaned it, polished feed ramps shot another 100.  The started adding aftermarket parts while repeating the process.  

Only ONE issue: the mounting screw for the red dot is too long and clamps down the extractor.  You NEED to grind a few threads off the optic mount screws so that it does t interfere with the extractor cutout in the slide.  
Otherwise after about 6k round you’ll start to get feed/extract issues….
This is the reason”.   

Local shop had both a 5 and 4.25 today. Trigger was about the same on both - heavy. I picked up the 4.25. I really like it but the optic plate situation is frustrating. Having to pay 130+ for a new mount when they put a useless one in the box is dumb. They need a trade in program where you can trade their stupid mount plate for something descent.  

29 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Local shop had both a 5 and 4.25 today. Trigger was about the same on both - heavy. I picked up the 4.25. I really like it but the optic plate situation is frustrating. Having to pay 130+ for a new mount when they put a useless one in the box is dumb. They need a trade in program where you can trade their stupid mount plate for something descent.  

whats wrong with the included mount ?

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

That's crazy. I wonder why the plates went up 130 bucks, I bought mine from Springfield when I got my pistol for 60 bucks which was list price. And I think if you hunted around you could find them for 40 or so at other places. 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

That's crazy. I wonder why the plates went up 130 bucks, I bought mine from Springfield when I got my pistol for 60 bucks which was list price. And I think if you hunted around you could find them for 40 or so at other places. 

Seems the problem is the RMR mount. Some places are $60 for other versions. But want to run a sro or 507 comp your paying big bucks 

4 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

So the guns ship with the VOrtex venom/ Burris foot print plate only ?
Not a huge deal the Burris sights are pretty well regarded. The new IV is out and has a bigger lens. The venom is kinda dated, wonder if VOrtex has a newer on on the way

6 hours ago, Chillywig said:

Seems the problem is the RMR mount. Some places are $60 for other versions. But want to run a sro or 507 comp your paying big bucks 

I bought the rmr mount for $60, from Springfield. Idk why they have doubled the price in the last 6 months. I guess the good news is you can get the gun for $150 or so less than I paid for them now

10 hours ago, Chillywig said:

It's for any Docter-footprint optic.  Note that the Vortex Venom and Burris FF III will NOT fit, however, because the optics cut is straight in front and both of those optics curve, so they're too long.

10 hours ago, Joe4d said:

So the guns ship with the VOrtex venom/ Burris foot print plate only ?
Not a huge deal the Burris sights are pretty well regarded. The new IV is out and has a bigger lens. The venom is kinda dated, wonder if VOrtex has a newer on on the way

I'm actually a BIG fan of the new FF IV.  My III's have been durable, and the IV has multi-reticle, including what's essentially an 11 MOA dot.  Much bigger window, too.

Springfield is out of their mind with the plates, though, with the new pricing.  CHPWS is making compatible plates, and any other AOS compatible plate should work as well.  It's like they're making up losses on return-and-fix for the first batch by up-charging for accessories.  Bad form.

Edited by mreed911

7 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

It's for any Docter-footprint optic.  Note that the Vortex Venom and Burris FF III will NOT fit, however, because the optics cut is straight in front and both of those optics curve, so they're too long.

I'm actually a BIG fan of the new FF IV.  My III's have been durable, and the IV has multi-reticle, including what's essentially an 11 MOA dot.  Much bigger window, too.

Springfield is out of their mind with the plates, though, with the new pricing.  CHPWS is making compatible plates, and any other AOS compatible plate should work as well.  It's like they're making up losses on return-and-fix for the first batch by up-charging for accessories.  Bad form.

Does the ffiv fit the plate that comes with the gun?

1 minute ago, OPENB said:

Yes

Good deal. That's probably going to be the next optic I buy whatever it goes on. Knowing I have an extra plate for it is a plus

• 3 weeks later...

I'm either at 16 or 1700 rounds in I can't remember which. So far the only bobble was with a stock mag with grams spring follower and  TTI base pad. I did a little more work on the follower and have not had that issue since. All the factory mags have still been 100%

After shooting another guy's 5 in custom limited optics gun with an aluminum grip, I decided mine was a little bit light, because his dot basically set there. I'm still considering getting a 5 inch, but in the meantime I put a tlr1 on my 4.25 prodigy and I'm really liking the results. I'll shoot a few more matches and see if I really think I need a 5 inch gun

So, still very impressed with the prodigy and still glad I went this route. 

Had mine for a couple weeks now and I'm probably just under 500 rounds. Shot my 4.25 in my first match today. Used the 2 factory mags and one MBX 140. Gun ran my 147gr RN blues/132PF loads perfectly. I am really starting to enjoy limited optics