Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

Smartest thing STI ever did was dump the true competition guns and start Staccato. 

I have a technical question for you because I know you will know the answer. What would be an average difference in service life between a gun shooting standard 9 mil versus 9 mm major? I would think it would be substantial, but maybe it's closer than I expect. I've seen several open and limited guns crack slides over the years, but it seems things like that rarely if ever occur shooting nine minor.

38 minutes ago, RJH said:

I have a technical question for you because I know you will know the answer. What would be an average difference in service life between a gun shooting standard 9 mil versus 9 mm major? I would think it would be substantial, but maybe it's closer than I expect. I've seen several open and limited guns crack slides over the years, but it seems things like that rarely if ever occur shooting nine minor.

I think to add on to this how much does compensation on an open gun help or hinder life 

3 hours ago, donnyglock said:

Smartest thing STI ever did was dump the true competition guns and start Staccato. 

This^^^^^^.

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

I think to add on to this how much does compensation on an open gun help or hinder life 

Helps, assuming the rest of the setup is correct.

3 hours ago, RJH said:

I would expect a 9 minor gun to last basically forever. 

I've seen Edges in 40 that were in use for 10 plus years and well over 100k rounds. Even open guns can last. The problems come in when you go crazy cutting them up to maximize slide speed while also making the slide thinner and likely weaker. Open used to have a higher PF, I had some 38 super that came with a open gun built in the 90s that was 185 pf and didn't crack the slide. 

8 hours ago, RJH said:

9 minor guns will definitely last far longer everything being equal. You have to understand that pressures in a 9 major gun are substantial. Plus you add reloading major into that mix. Some folks are excellent and consistent reloaders. Others not so much. Some 9 major powders can spike when they are loaded a little to hot. 
 Bottom line, heat and pressure are the enemy of any metal.

9 major guns deliver both in spades. 

If you load long, as in 9x21 OALs or longer AND use slow powders, pressure is below SAAMI max in some and very slightly above in others.  3N38 is the fastest powder I would use.  It fills a 9mm case more than I like so I use slower powders.  SWMP and AA7 work well.  10.2 under a 115 at 1.161 for 169PF up to 10.8 for 172ish (est.) is very easy on the gun.  I expect both 2011 Open guns to outlast me.  I shoot between 7k and 10k per year of 9mm major, depending on how many matches get cancelled.  The 1911 Open steel gun will last forever.  7.2gr 3N38 under a 124 plated for 144PF is soft, flat and easy on the gun.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, Arcrunner said:

I'm running 2 of the 26 rounders in my 2011 build (Cheely frame and grip), works 100%. One has TTI Guts and basepad, both are working great. The Springfield wouldn't fit my spare dawson alu pads though, maybe need to shave down a little width or something, but not a big deal

I found exactly the same with grams guts and TTI Pads 3 and 4mm both fit my gauge(4 with some pressure) I run them in practice mainly now or if I know I'm gonna drop a heavy mag in a reload. Dimensions were close to my STI gen 2 mags.

1 hour ago, Jeff O said:

Anybody found a replacement for the crap mag release?

I just cut a couple of coils off the spring on mine. But I don't like extended mag releases anyway, I'm a lefty and use my index finger and the big mag releases are always kind of in way of my strong hand. 

Will an STI mag release not work? And/or could you just drill and tap that one and put a button on it if you need it?

On 12/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, RJH said:

I just cut a couple of coils off the spring on mine. But I don't like extended mag releases anyway, I'm a lefty and use my index finger and the big mag releases are always kind of in way of my strong hand. 

Will an STI mag release not work? And/or could you just drill and tap that one and put a button on it if you need it?

I haven't looked at the mag release yet, but from what I understand STI grips will fit the gun. That would be a work around. A expensive work around but a work around. 

1 hour ago, Zachjet said:

I’ve noticed the 5” models are all off gunbroker.  Only 4.25” models 

I've noticed the same. If anyone has anything in stock its the 4.25" model. I'm really thinking Springfield is already trying to pump out an update to fix a lot of the issues they've had since launch. 

I'm also contemplating a budget 2011.  I was leaning towards the 5" model however. 

What are people's thoughts on waiting for the Prodigy to come back in stock or going with the SPS Pantera?  They are roughly the same price and the Pantera seems to get great reviews.  Modeled off the STI Edge I believe. 

29 minutes ago, Douglee25 said:

I'm also contemplating a budget 2011.  I was leaning towards the 5" model however. 

What are people's thoughts on waiting for the Prodigy to come back in stock or going with the SPS Pantera?  They are roughly the same price and the Pantera seems to get great reviews.  Modeled off the STI Edge I believe. 

The SPS guns I've seen also needed some tinkering to get to work. Not saying they all do though. The one other thing I can't remember right now is if they take standard 2011 mags or not, it seems some of the internals are a little different. I know the Bul guns take their own mags and one of the reasons I wouldn't want a bul gun, even though they shoot well. 

Double check all of that though, I'm not claiming to be an expert on either of those guns.

And I'm probably a little biased but I would wait on the Springfield