Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I seem to recall someone posted that if you contact Trijicon they will send you the correct length screws.  

That was me, call Trijicon and they will send you the correct screws gratis. I had them in my grubby mitts two days after calling.

I ran my Prodigy in an IDPA match today after a $60 action job by my gunsmith and installing the Atlas guide rod. Ran perfectly in 20 degree temps. I have an Aftec extractor coming and will probably polish and ream at some point just for kicks.

54 minutes ago, RobW said:

That was me, call Trijicon and they will send you the correct screws gratis. I had them in my grubby mitts two days after calling.

I ran my Prodigy in an IDPA match today after a $60 action job by my gunsmith and installing the Atlas guide rod. Ran perfectly in 20 degree temps. I have an Aftec extractor coming and will probably polish and ream at some point just for kicks.

What length?

6 hours ago, RobW said:

Just fyi, if you install an AFTEC, you'll have to shorten the AOS mount screw on the right side as it will protrude into the bore and contact the spring sleeve on the extractor.  At least it did on mine.  Took me a couple tries to get it right.

I picked up a used 5" prodigy. The guy said it had 500 rds through it. I could feel the disconnecter sticking when letting the slide go forward by hand. But that was the only thing I noticed. The gun ran fine, no feeding issues. I've installed a Nowlan pro match trigger.

Edited by works for ammo
Correction

On 11/3/2022 at 10:20 AM, MuayThaiJJ said:

Anyone know how Springfield DS mags run in 2011s?

Yes they do......  I don't think they are nearly as good as the Staccato or Atlas mags, but they do work in my Staccato. 

12 hours ago, Dave C said:

I don't think they are nearly as good as the Staccato or Atlas mags

Can you elaborate on why you think the tubes fall short? 

(Considering only the tubes because everything else is consumable and replaceable) 

Edited by Ssanders224

On 1/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ssanders224 said:

Can you elaborate on why you think the tubes fall short? 

(Considering only the tubes because everything else is consumable and replaceable) 

While I haven't measured the thickness of the metal used in the magazine body, it seems thinner than STI/Staccato/Atlas magazines. The Prodigy mags feed lip dimensions were all over the map. (I measured the Atlas magazine feed lip dimensions and tuned my Prodigy mags the same). I know you want me to discount the springs and followers since they are consumable but considering my Atlas and Staccato have run 100% in my Staccato and Prodigy and the Prodigy mags experience stuck followers producing the dreaded saltshaker effect every now and then, I will continue to use Staccato mags for serious work.  

Edited by Dave C

*Heads up* 

Apparently not all trigger bows are created equal.  Finally got my Infinity trigger bow/shoe installed.

Very clean, handsome setup.  Problem is: it does NOT work when the mag is inserted. 

Just got off the phone with Infinity’s tech, he said it’s not compatible with the internal geometry of the grip module. 

So BEWARE guys, triggers may not support Prodigy use.  Bummed and looking for other options.  

6A451C3C-0B8C-4E06-914A-65FC54F4E32C.jpeg

Seems strange it doesn't work as the internals should be the same as any other 2011.  If the hammer/sear/disco function properly, you probably just need to adjust the bow to clear the mag tubes.  Maybe measure the two parts to compare.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Seems strange it doesn't work as the internals should be the same as any other 2011.  If the hammer/sear/disco function properly, you probably just need to adjust the bow to clear the mag tubes.  Maybe measure the two parts to compare.

👆this.

3 hours ago, Dave C said:

While I haven't measured the thickness of the metal used in the magazine body, it seems thinner than STI/Staccato/Atlas magazines. The Prodigy mags feed lip dimensions were all over the map. (I measured the Atlas magazine feed lip dimensions and tuned my Prodigy mags the same). I know you want me to discount the springs and followers since they are consumable but considering my Atlas and Staccato have run 100% in my Staccato and Prodigy and the Prodigy mags experience stuck followers producing the dreaded saltshaker effect every now and then, I will continue to use Staccato mags for serious work.  

I have measured several of them (I have 30ish Prodigy mags in my office), and this is not my experience. 

The material thickness is on par with other 2011 mags. I've owned every type and gen of 2011 mag available in the last 15 years or so (barring Atlas), and by my evaluation, there's no obvious reason that the Dura/Springfield tubes would be less durable than their counterparts.  

The bodies and lips on my samples are pretty darn uniform. Plenty uniform to operate reliably. 

I haven't "tuned" a 2011 tube of any caliber since I retired all of my STI and SV first gen tubes some years ago. In my experience, with todays offerings, it's just not necessary (so far I'm including the Duramags in that statement). 

5 minutes ago, yigal said:

👆this.

IDK.  Call Sam at Infinity that’s what he said like an hour ago. Said they haven’t figured out a solution for making their bow work with the prodigy yet.  

I can tell you from mine, there would need to be too much material relieved from the back of the shoe, but then the is still about 1/8 of dead space between the disco/sear and the back of the trigger bow.  No amount of fooling with the pre travel tabs or over travel does anything to fix it.  I’ll show pics later.  

I’ve done several of these swaps before this gun, no issues.  That’s why I was stumped enough to call about it.  Haha! 

I know neither of my Nitro Fin thumb rest fit the prodigy either, nor does an STI trigger block insert for a DAA Race Master.  
seems to be just enough small changes across the platform to keep it from really breaking the 2011 trademark.  Haha. 

Clarks used to silver solder a metal spacer on the back of 1911 / 2011 trigger bow to decrease the space between bow and disconnector... a permanent added on spacer. Might get closer to working without removing to much of the back of shoe or front of stirrup?

50 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

IDK.  Call Sam at Infinity that’s what he said like an hour ago. Said they haven’t figured out a solution for making their bow work with the prodigy yet.  

I can tell you from mine, there would need to be too much material relieved from the back of the shoe, but then the is still about 1/8 of dead space between the disco/sear and the back of the trigger bow.  No amount of fooling with the pre travel tabs or over travel does anything to fix it.  I’ll show pics later.  

I’ve done several of these swaps before this gun, no issues.  That’s why I was stumped enough to call about it.  Haha! 

I know neither of my Nitro Fin thumb rest fit the prodigy either, nor does an STI trigger block insert for a DAA Race Master.  
seems to be just enough small changes across the platform to keep it from really breaking the 2011 trademark.  Haha. 

Rjracing's earlier post shows he fit an Atlas trigger w/no problem.  If the Atlas works, the SV should work.

8 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

*Heads up* 

Apparently not all trigger bows are created equal.  Finally got my Infinity trigger bow/shoe installed.

Very clean, handsome setup.  Problem is: it does NOT work when the mag is inserted. 

Just got off the phone with Infinity’s tech, he said it’s not compatible with the internal geometry of the grip module. 

So BEWARE guys, triggers may not support Prodigy use.  Bummed and looking for other options.  

6A451C3C-0B8C-4E06-914A-65FC54F4E32C.jpeg

Atlas put a video out saying the the bow needs tweaked a little for their's to work also. I sure it would be the same for other makers. 

@Itdmstr: cool video.  Thanks.  Doesn’t really reflect what I’ve got going on though.  

*Update* 

Removed the Infinity bow and a standard STI bow from another build, they are the same length/width etc.  Compared them to the Prodigy bow and it is much longer.  

I didn’t have my calipers on me but I traced it on paper to show a bit better.  Prodigy was too long to work in the STI grip mod and STI and Infinity were both too short to work in the Prodigy grip mod.  

The first pic you can see the shoe is mounted too close on the bow which I’m sure could be filed down and “coerced” into working but then, there would still be too much dead space between the back of the bow and the sear/disco engagement.  The trigger would be flopping around in that space.  It’s too much to rationally bend into engagement and expect good results.  
The easy solution is just to not put an Infinity into a Prodigy grip mod.  

It ended up going into an open gun so no loss here.  I have a Cheely grip mod coming anyway.  
Just figured I’d make y’all aware in case someone wants to do the same swap.  

8107181C-878F-4A3D-9723-10EF687815DC.jpeg