Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

Got about 2500 rounds through the gun now. All the factory pot metal innards are still working fine. All the factory mags are still working fine, whether 17,20, or 26 rounds. Other than the one bobble early on with the modded mag, it is still working fine. 

So I like it so far 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another build.   I have a lot of detail in the previous pages on them.  
I have the 5” and a 4.25” now And after shooting them both for a while, I still prefer the 4.25”.
It’s a bit more nimble, slightly better balanced, and has a shorter cycling stroke.  
Im getting about 10-11 power factor more out of the 5”

Don’t get me wrong, the 5” is nice too.  The point is, if you’re going to get a matching set (for a backup for matches etc.) get a true matching pair, get used to one and rock on.  

084F6D8B-A60F-4F79-A27F-A835908F6BE8.jpeg

Edited by SufferInSilence

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Very nice!  Any issues with the SRO overhanging the ejection port?

No, if anything, the underbite that the SRO has around the glass stops the glass from getting full of carbon from that silly chamber indicator cutout in the barrel hood.  
the carbon will build up on the optic fast, too! 

It would be nice to see that notch go away in future revisions of the gun.  

Edited by SufferInSilence

On 11/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, MuayThaiJJ said:

Anyone know how Springfield DS mags run in 2011s?

From what I gather, yes, as long as there isn’t a magwell that blocks the basepads.  I can’t seat the Duramags in an Atlas Nemesis, for example, not that I want to, because that Nemesis is a .40.  I was just curious if the mags would seat.  Some 9mm guns might have similar magwells.

4 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

No, if anything, the underbite that the SRO has around the glass stops the glass from getting full of carbon from that silly chamber indicator cutout in the barrel hood.  
the carbon will build up on the optic fast, too! It would be nice to see that notch go away in future revisions of the gun.  

@SufferInSilencethe mods you've done to your Prodigy look awesome!  Congrats!  

Once I grab a 5" Prodigy to customize, I would be looking for an optic adapter plate that DOES NOT include an iron rear sight!  Has anyone considered this as it would definitely move the SRO a bit rearward?

Beautiful pistol!  👍 👍

1 hour ago, GunBugBit said:

From what I gather, yes, as long as there isn’t a magwell that blocks the basepads.  I can’t seat the Duramags in an Atlas Nemesis, for example, not that I want to, because that Nemesis is a .40.  I was just curious if the mags would seat.  Some 9mm guns might have similar magwells.

Very easy to trim the base pads on the 140s. Also easy to trim the base pad on the 17 rounders for the egw prodigy magwell, probably could do the same for other guns with it as well

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

@SufferInSilencethe mods you've done to your Prodigy look awesome!  Congrats!  

Once I grab a 5" Prodigy to customize, I would be looking for an optic adapter plate that DOES NOT include an iron rear sight!  Has anyone considered this as it would definitely move the SRO a bit rearward?

Beautiful pistol!  👍 👍

I think moving it rearward would cause carbon build up issues. 

I am pretty sure there is a company making them though. Saw it on these forums, but don't remember who it was 

@HOGRIDER @RJH yeah my agency has TLR-1s on sig compact 320s.  After one range session the glass was destroyed form carbon, heat, build up.  It looks like old headlights and doesn’t come off without scratching the glass.  Now our gun lights all shine a faint haze on everything.  😂 

So, I think that underbite might have been a strategic play by Trijicon.  

I wish someone would make the frame with a slight bill (like a hat) to ward off a bit of direct sun.  
I’ve been working in a clip-on bill made from Kydex to solve that on those early morning direct sun matches (like frost proof).  

Started a new Limited Optics journey myself. It's a 4.25 model. Before I even took it to the range, I oiled it and cleaned the cerakote out after racking the slide a bunch. Initially took it out without the optic. With the Brazos kit and the 17 lb mainspring, I had 3 or 4 light strikes with the factory firing pin and FP spring. A Dawson extended FP and Wolff XP firing pin spring fixed that. I thought my factory STI Ranger had a nice trigger. The Brazos is head and shoulders above. It's sitting at about 2.25-2.5lb break. Also, it has a Red Dirt USA trigger. Running factory mags so far. 800 rounds in and no problems with those. I also added a 10-8 mag catch (great for a lefties) and slide stop. Both of those would be a requirement for me on the Prodigy. Just makes life easier. 

The factory optic plate did come loose in the first range trip, due to the plate screws contacting the top of the slide. I did trim them beforehand but I missed one by a few thousandths of an inch. It didn't come loose in the next 300 rounds. I believe that's where some people are running into issues with these. The screw won't properly torque if it's impacting something under the screw itself. Such as the slide or extractor. 

I see why people can get hooked on 1911/2011 platforms. It will run doubles at .20 splits at 5 yards into a IDPA headbox without much effort. Its accurate enough with my 135gr Blues. I may try some other profiles and weights. It will be fun next season for LO and IDPA CO. 

T1GoLDY.jpg

Here's mine

Completely redone it.  Still have to throw an optic on.  Maybe cerakote  later.

I replace the firing pin with a Dawson extended FP.  Added an Atlas tool-less guide rod with a 9 lb recoil spring

SVI Prodigy ignition kit

Red Dirt trigger shoe 

Nitro fin

Atlas ambi safety

LSI Outlaw grip/magwell

The LSI grip had to be fitted since i orginally bought this grip for my SV Infinity gun.  Beaver tail blended to frame as well.  The Nitro fin is a gen 2 which had also had to be fitted.

Trigger pull weight averaged 1 lb, 9 oz.

7qUhgh.jpg

• 2 months later...

Figure I’ll stack my early rounds review/write-up in here rather than add another thread.

Picked up a 5 inch Prodigy about 2 weeks ago, finally had a chance to shoot it yesterday. Serial number is in the 12xxx region, and it appears to have the lightening cuts inside the slide that showed up on later revisions. Cerakote is a bit meh along one side where it doesn’t look as evenly applied… but I didn’t really notice it until I went to clean it, so not a big deal.

This being my first 2011, I don’t have much to compare it to as far as fit and finish go. No hot spots or pokey bits around the beavertail (Or anywhere else). Rails on the back almost disappear when the slide is closed, extractor circle slightly proud of rear surface.

Initially there was no play on the slide in any direction, but after a week and half of dry-fire, 2 cleanings, and a trip to the range there is very minor side-to-side play at the very front; can feel it if I try to make it happen, but eyeballing it, it’s maybe a sheet of paper thickness worth of movement. Assume that’s just the Cerakote wearing in.

Have seen things like barrel lockup mentioned, but not sure how to measure that. Barrel has no play within the slide, which seems… good? 

Trigger and mag release were a bit gritty, I assume just from drag on the grip module; trigger is smoothing out pretty quickly though. No issues with safety or slide stop.

Installed a 507 comp using the correct plate. Plate torqued to 25 in/lbs per manual, optic to 15 in/lb. Screws that came with the 507comp were either a couple threads too short or a couple of threads too long. I went with the short ones, but they ended up loose by the end of my range session (optic screws only, plate screws were fine)… which probably explains why I was having such a hard time getting it zeroed. I had been concerned about the length, checked the sight a couple of times, but alas…

Took it back apart last night to clean; removed the plate, took two of the longer optic screws, and filed/sanded them down until they no longer poked out the bottom of the plate. Reinstalled plate, cleaned the holes, added a little bit of vibratite, put the optic back on, vibratite, etc. Plate to 26 in/lbs for good luck, optic to 20 in/lb (up from 15). Hopefully the extra engagement and torque help. Also checked for any wear on the tips of the plate screws or the top of the extractor that might indicate rubbing… everything looked good.

Some range results…

100rds Winchester white box 115gr

10 rds S&B 115 gr (ran out of time)

4x 20 rd mags 

1 failure to cycle that was my doing; way too soft on the grip trying to get it to stay still on the bag to sight at 25yards.
1 jam of some kind, probably also bag related (haven’t shot a pistol off a bag before, sooo…).

Groups looked great… just a bit variable in where they ended up due to the optic issues.

Easily the nicest shooting pistol I’ve ever used, even amongst the chaos of trying to learn how to set up a pistol red dot, how to shoot off of a bag to do so, first time back at the range in almost a year, etc and so forth.

So. Summary version:

- it’s awesome

- no issues that I’m inclined to blame on the gun itself

- optic loosened but plate was fine, fixed hopefully for next time

- looking forward to next range trip so I can pay less attention to optic set up and more to just shooting

Seems like it, yeah.

Minor update

Put some more rounds through it today:

50 Winchester white box 115 fine

50 blazer 124 meh

40 federal am eagle 124 also meh

50 s&b 115gr best of the bunch

No issues with operation at all, and the optic stayed tight after yesterday’s great screw sanding adventure. The gun seems very accurate, but it’s hard to say for sure, since I am not particularly accurate.

Yesterday I noticed that my barrel link was rubbing the boss on the Atlas tool-less guide rod, so dug out the original, which is completely flat where it seats in the frame.  Filed down the boss on the Atlas guide rod and now the action is smoother and the slide stop comes out much more easily during disassembly.  

• 2 months later...

Here is mine. Came directly from Briley. Essentially the slide/frame/grip are original. Barrel is theirs with their spherical bushing. Also had a threaded barrel fit to run suppressed. Rest has been replaced with EGW parts. Very impressed so far. Started with a Defender CCW but just swapped to an ST. 

x1MoEYJ.jpeg

Edited by prreed10

1 hour ago, prreed10 said:

Here is mine. Came directly from Briley. Essentially the slide/frame/grip are original. Barrel is theirs with their spherical bushing. Also had a threaded barrel fit to run suppressed. Rest has been replaced with EGW parts. Very impressed so far. Started with a Defender CCW but just swapped to an ST. 

Briley?  Ooh.  Any pics of the spherical bushing setup?  Mind me asking what ballpark that's in?