Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I ordered a 4.25" model yesterday. I got it for 1299 +tax. It's not currently legal here, so I wont be able to take possession of it until it gets added to our roster in a few weeks, then the standard waiting period. So probably the end of the month.

I ordered a plate for a 507k I have sitting on my bench. I'm debating on changing the guide rod, I'm not a huge fan of two piece guide rods. Maybe I'll just drill a hole in it and red Loctite it into one piece. Or maybe I'll buy a new one.

I hear the chambers can be rough, but I have a finish reamer and a throating reamer so I'll probably touch that up and polish it then see how it goes. Maybe work the trigger just a little, but I don't plan to replace any parts until something fails. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I did shoot open minor with a LO gun last weekend. It was a 40 Limited gun I rebuild into a 9mm. It was fun, I did loose to a CO guy. I had a couple mistakes costing me some time and one malfunction. The mag I used on that stage was a old gen 1 that's pretty sus, I think I'm just going to retire all my old mags and get new Atlas or MBX mags. I think if it was a normal 6 stage match instead of only 4 I could of made up the ground. 

Currently registered in open minor for 2 majors next year. Should be fun. 

The chamber in my gun appears to be fine. And will even take longer ammo than my XDM.

But the prodigy seems to like shorter ammo so it's not an issue. It's fed everything I've shot out of it, but my lead reloads tend to be a little shorter than factory loads, and it just seems a little smoother with them.

You mentioned mags, so far my prodigy mags have worked great. I have the 17 and 20 it came with, and bought two more twenties and 2 26s. No issues so far and they all lock the slide back if you want that to happen for you. I have read that you can use the same grams guts and Dawson pads that are on STI mags for more round count. But at $40 a piece, I'm going to use these mags until I find a good reason not to. Although after limited optics becomes a thing so I know what to do, I will probably change the guts and base pads on a couple of them.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, RJH said:

The chamber in my gun appears to be fine. And will even take longer ammo than my XDM.

But the prodigy seems to like shorter ammo so it's not an issue. It's fed everything I've shot out of it, but my lead reloads tend to be a little shorter than factory loads, and it just seems a little smoother with them.

You mentioned mags, so far my prodigy mags have worked great. I have the 17 and 20 it came with, and bought two more twenties and 2 26s. No issues so far and they all lock the slide back if you want that to happen for you. I have read that you can use the same grams guts and Dawson pads that are on STI mags for more round count. But at $40 a piece, I'm going to use these mags until I find a good reason not to. Although after limited optics becomes a thing so I know what to do, I will probably change the guts and base pads on a couple of them.

I'll certainly test out the mags that come with it. And I have the stuff to tweak the feed lips and all that from tuning mags back in the day. The newer generations of STI mags and MBX mags I've used for 40 all worked great right out of the box no tuning. These old gen 1 mags I got used and have been messed with a bunch over the years, and the one I was using just didn't feel like it was presenting the rounds well. I've got a couple of these I think I'll just make the dryfire mags. 

Good to know they don't seem to be picky about length. I'm not a fan of a gun needing crazy long aol to work. I'd prefer to be able to use the same ammo I load for other guns.

23 hours ago, Posvar said:

I am still waiting on the 5" I ordered....good to see people getting these. I have been on a few email notifications for the SRO plate but have not heard anything at all. 

Springfield has the SRO plates.  I ordered one Jan 1st and it has already shipped.  

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

A14B is out of stock with no backorder option.

Dang, I guess they already sold out of those. Hopefully it's not two months before the next batch gets out

Edited by RJH

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Looking at the plates available. Anyone hear anything on those Eotech Eflx dots. Do they hold up is really the only question.

I've never heard of those till right now so no help there, but if you're looking for a stopgap until you can get an SRO plate or something, I am pretty sure a vortex viper will fit on the plate that comes with the gun. Double check that though. You can probably use the viper until an SRO (or whatever not you are looking for) plate showed up and then have a backup, or sell it for a small loss

I know a venom will fit the plate that comes with the gun, but you're going to have to trim the front of the dot or a little bit of the slide to mount it to the gun. I just waited for my SRO plate. 

15 hours ago, RJH said:

I've never heard of those till right now so no help there, but if you're looking for a stopgap until you can get an SRO plate or something, I am pretty sure a vortex viper will fit on the plate that comes with the gun. Double check that though. You can probably use the viper until an SRO (or whatever not you are looking for) plate showed up and then have a backup, or sell it for a small loss

I know a venom will fit the plate that comes with the gun, but you're going to have to trim the front of the dot or a little bit of the slide to mount it to the gun. I just waited for my SRO plate. 

For now I'm going to run the 507k just because I have one I'm not using and the plate was available. Seeing that eotech plate reminded me a buddy just got one to play with. They're only like $360 bucks which isn't bad. And Eotech generally has a good reputation. Something to keep a eye out for I guess. I'd love to see a optic in that price range that was as reliable or more so than the SRO. 

So I have around 550 rounds out on a 4.25 model, and it has been 100% to this point. I even tried some old gen 1 sti mags from a 38 super open gun build from 2002 and it ran fine. Yes the feel of the trigger and a few other parts is not up to SV level, but COME ON! This is an entry level 2011! Also got a tracking number for the optic plate.

Shot another match today with mine about 125 rounds. Ran perfect. One brave soul that was shooting a staccato loaded up one of my 26 round mags and without any testing gave it and go on the stage. The Springfield duramag worked perfect in the staccato, for those who were wondering. 

I'm going to get a trigger job on mine now and probably a magwell and  call it good

38 minutes ago, RJH said:

Shot another match today with mine about 125 rounds. Ran perfect. One brave soul that was shooting a staccato loaded up one of my 26 round mags and without any testing gave it and go on the stage. The Springfield duramag worked perfect in the staccato, for those who were wondering. 

I'm going to get a trigger job on mine now and probably a magwell and  call it good

Nice.  Are you shooting A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want or open? 
I might do that after the Florida state match at the end of the month.  
A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want.  

19 minutes ago, SufferInSilence said:

Nice.  Are you shooting A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want or open? 
I might do that after the Florida state match at the end of the month.  
A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want.  

Today I shot open and actually had a dot. Last match I shot open as well, but it was with iron sights. I shot open at that point just to test out the 26 round mags 

🔥🔥🔥I just checked Atlas Gun Works, they have a bunch of parts back in stock.  

The tool-less guide rod is in stock for 4.25 Prodigy in stainless and it’s $10 cheaper.  

(I spoke to them last week, they say it still uses the factory reverse bushing with it) 

https://atlasgunworks.com/product-details?id=92528341

Also, took my Prodigy out today to bust its cherry and it ran flawlessly through 250 rounds of 115 grain Winchester.  Fed like a champ, cycled like an Armstrong 😂 

If anything, the primer strikes were over piercing the hell out of the primers.  

Edited by SufferInSilence

I put about 500 rounds through mine when I first got it and had zero issues.  Ammo included Federal Hydra-Shok, Winchester white box, and three different hand loads (two w/jacketed bullets and one with SNS coated).  And that was with both the 17 and 20 round factory mags, and SV, STI and Atlas magazines.  Basically, it ran fine with everything I put in it.  After that, I did a full custom job on the gun and had it refinished.  Photo is below.  Finish is H&M black nitride except for the grip, because it's titanium.  In addition to prepping and fitting the various parts, I cleaned up and polished the chamber, flat topped the slide, undercut the trigger guard, pinned the grip safety, squared the rear sight notch, and did the trigger at 2.25 lb.  Gun has EGW internals and safeties, SV trigger, Dawson arched mainspring housing and Atlas magwell.  Optic is Shield RMSC.

IMG_3950.jpg

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

I put about 500 rounds through mine when I first got it and had zero issues.  Ammo included Federal Hydra-Shok, Winchester white box, and three different hand loads (two w/jacketed bullets and one with SNS coated).  And that was with both the 17 and 20 round factory mags, and SV, STI and Atlas magazines.  Basically, it ran fine with everything I put in it.  After that, I did a full custom job on the gun and had it refinished.  Photo is below.  Finish is H&M black nitride except for the grip, because it's titanium.  In addition to prepping and fitting the various parts, I cleaned up and polished the chamber, flat topped the slide, undercut the trigger guard, pinned the grip safety, squared the rear sight notch, and did the trigger at 2.25 lb.  Gun has EGW internals and safeties, SV trigger, Dawson arched mainspring housing and Atlas magwell.  Optic is Shield RMSC.

IMG_3950.jpg

That's slick. It's nice to have a decent "builder" 2011 again 

I'm so tempted to take mine to a local guy and have him laser engrave it. I'd have him cross out prodigy and Springfield then add staccato logo's on it. Maybe use a font that makes it look like you did it with a pen, then color fill it with red so it's kinda like you just wrote it on there.

Then post photo's of it on the staccato groups on facebook. It's a lot of effort just to troll people but it might be worth it. 

I'd take a Springfield over Staccato any day of the week.  Especially considering the price differential.  And I get a kick out of the youtube experts bashing these guns and saying they're poor quality.  Back before there were so many aftermarket options, folks like Dick Heinie, Marc Krebs and lots of other big names were building high dollar custom guns from Springfield 1911s.

Edited by ltdmstr
typo

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

I'd take a Springfield over Staccato any day of the week.  Especially considering the price differential.  And I get a kick out of the youtube experts bashing these guns and saying they're poor quality.  Back before there were so many aftermarket options, folks like Dick Heinie, Marc Krebs and lots of other big names were building high dollar custom guns from Springfield 1911s.

I liked this toy. You've convinced me. Maybe this will be my next  SVI .😀

after i will change all the mim crap parts inside it. i have all of them from best quality .

10 minutes ago, yigal said:

I liked this toy. You've convinced me. Maybe this will be my next  SVI .😀

after i will change all the mim crap parts inside it. i have all of them from best quality .

Pretty much what I did.  And the end result feels as good and runs as good as other guns I have that cost 3x what I put into this one.  Here's another photo from a different angle.

IMG_3970.jpg