Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand why everybody's adjusting crap just yet LOL. I finally got to shoot my"finished" four and a quarter inch in a match yesterday and it was pretty damn nice. By finished I mean it has a trigger job on the stock components and an sro on top. I'm only around 800 rounds in it at this point because I'm still mainly just shooting at matches, but damn it shoots good. I don't even have a MAG well on it yet just in case they allow Sao guns in carry ops. I'm also glad I waited though since egw is making a prodigy specific mag well now. 

30 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

You mentioned the sear spring is different. When you swapped the grip did you end up using the prodigy spring or a standard spring?  Any trouble with the grip safety and the new grip and MSH? 

No, I haven’t seen any issues yet.  Just dry firing in the house, holstering, cycling dummy rounds etc.  I’ll bring it to the range this week for a torture test and give you an update.  

On 2/18/2023 at 10:51 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Ok fellas, mine is done! 
- Cheely L2 Grip, steel. 
- Cheely Tactical mag well, steel (a total B1tch to hand fit) 

- Grip is Cerakote Armorer Black with Fx Ranger top coat

- Trijicon SRO 5 MoA

- Atlas high ride/shielded thumb safety 

- Atlas tool-less guide rod, 8# spring 

- Infinity trigger (small flat shoe) I have a Red Dirt on standby. 

- Kept all the MIM internals for now just to put them to the test. (trigger at 1.25-ish#) 

Things I learned along the way: 

(Results may vary) 

- Prodigy trigger bow is longer than most others I compared it to.  So other bows/triggers might/probably not work in a Prodigy grip.

- Swap grip module and you can run what you want internally but prodigy trigger bow might not work in them.  (Too long) 

- Sear spring is specific to Prodigy (remember that when ordering parts).  

- EGW internals kit is a Prodigy specific. 
(Remember that when ordering)

- Infinity trigger will NOT work in Prodigy grip modules. (Call them and they will confirm this). 

- The frame screws on the trigger guard/grip module are fatter than say: STI/everyone else, they won’t work on swapped out grip modules.  You’ll need a new set. 

- Prodigy grip module doesn’t fit STI/SVI DAA Race Master holster blocks (Cheely grip does but may be overly tight for a while). 

- Trijicon does not provide the correct length screws to mount the SRO/RMR to the optic mount.  You’ll need to grind the screws down or buy the correct length screws on Trijicon’s site.  

- Nitro Fins don’t fit the Prodigy (someone please start making one!!!) 

Shoots great, only time will tell.  

Good luck.  Any questions hit me up.  

B012C79C-37D4-4E24-8748-892CD84EFD7B.jpeg

@SufferInSilenceCongrats!  Your Prodigy looks great!

Mind sharing a ballpark "$$" you spent, in addition to the cost of the pistol, getting to this level?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

@SufferInSilenceCongrats!  Your Prodigy looks great!

Mind sharing a ballpark "$$" you spent, in addition to the cost of the pistol, getting to this level?

Thanks!

Sure! @HOGRIDER
 I got the pistol for $1200 through Shoot Straight’s LEO program.  That was a big purchasing factor.  It came with 1-17r mag and 2-21r mags.  

All in, I’d say I’m right around $2,500 +/- a few bucks as it sits in the pics above.  

I don’t regret it vs another type of purchase.

I haven’t had any of the issues other reviewers describe (even when I had it stock).  

It shoots like a dream.  

17 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Sure! @HOGRIDER
 I got the pistol for $1200 through Shoot Straight’s LEO program.  That was a big purchasing factor.  It came with 1-17r mag and 2-21r mags.  

All in, I’d say I’m right around $2,500 +/- a few bucks as it sits in the pics above.  

I don’t regret it vs another type of purchase.

I haven’t had any of the issues other reviewers describe (even when I had it stock).  

It shoots like a dream.  

I appreciate you sharing your costs!

And, thank you Sir for your Service!

👍

On 2/18/2023 at 10:51 PM, SufferInSilence said:

- Sear spring is specific to Prodigy (remember that when ordering parts).  

- EGW internals kit is a Prodigy specific. 
(Remember that when ordering)

@SufferInSilence

Got another question concerning the Prodigy and wondering if you can clarify and/or confirm regarding the sear spring?  Looking under the EGW "Evolved" 1911 sear spring, one if the questions asked was:

Will this work with a Springfield Armory Prodigy?

https://www.egwguns.com/evolved-1911-sear-spring-2-pack

EGW answered that NO, their Evolved sear spring would not work; however their #10690 would work.  Looking up #10690 yields it's the genuine Colt 1911 Sear Spring which I have personally used in several 1911 and 2011 pistols without issue.

Do you have a standard 1911 sear spring that you could possibly compare the Prodigy's sear spring to for a direct comparison, next time you pull it down for cleaning, maintenance, etc?

I also noticed under the heading for one of EGWs excellent fire control groups, that during the order/selection process they specifically ask:  "Do you have a Springfield Prodigy"?

https://www.egwguns.com/egw-ignition-kit-w-stainless-steel-lightened-hammer 

(Note, this kit includes the EGW "Evolved" sear spring.)

And if you answer/confirm you are ordering for a Prodigy, then the option states:

"Yes, I have a Prodigy please swap my sear spring to the correct one for my gun"

My take on this is that EGW's Evolved sear spring will not work in the Prodigy; however a standard Colt 1911 spring will.

Appreciate any first hand experience you can share regarding the Prodigy's sear spring and ignition components!

Thanks!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 11:10 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Good to know.  Yeah I saw the $2k Prodigy at Shoot Straight in Clearwater FL.  They (the franchise in general) have been above MSRP on nearly every gun/bullet for years now.  

Like you, I’ll probably hold off on the ignition kit for a while, see where it goes for a bit.  Probably shoot A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want for a while to see how this Limited Optics talk plays out… 👀 

I used to know a guy who was a manager for shoot straight.  Can't say their service or pricing made me want to specifically go back.   I like shooters world in Tampa and Reload in Tarpon better as far as interacting with them.  

Got the EGW magwell, nice fit. So it works very well with the factory 20's and Stacato 20's, 126mm mags not so good. The factory 17 rounds will lock in if you make them, but are bellow flush by 1/4" to 1/2". Stacato 126mm lock in easier, but are still less than flush. Not an issue for USPSA 140mm mags, but if you are going to run 126mm mags you will need to find a thicker base plate. Did try a MBX defender 20 round mag and it is perfect for the mag well.

Edited by floater
Added info

1 hour ago, ZimaConnoisseur said:

Does anyone have any experience with a RIA 2011 vs the Prodigy?  Is it worth the extra ~$600?

I think they'll both work just fine. But the prodigy is more of an actual 2011 so you get 2011 mags and interchangeable grips if you want that sort of thing and I do think the fit is a little better than the rock Islands. The Rock Island is more like a para double stack, so 2011 mags might work or you might have to buy para style mags from somewhere like mbx. The Rock Island though will be a lot heavier because it's a steel one piece frame. I've had Rock Island 1911s over the years and they've been good guns, so if you're okay with the mags and different style grill it'll probably be just fine, no I do not have personal experience with The Rock Island double stacks. I do have personal experience with the para double stacks and they have been just fine

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, ZimaConnoisseur said:

Ah thanks for the insight. I didn’t realize how much the rock island differed from the rest of the 2011s.

Also having the prodigy cut for an optic is a really nice addition.

I can attest and confirm this bit about 2011 vs. RIA double stack guns. I owned a STI Tactical, and currently have a RIA Tac Ultra FS HC (they REALLY need to work on their naming conventions.) which is the double stack 9MM/.22TCM combo with a full length railed dustcover.

The RIA uses the Para Ordnance .38 Super magazines, specifically the Mec-Gar MGP183817 or equivalent, and a variant of that same magazine with a small step cut into the feed lips for feeding .22TCM reliably.

As noted, the RIA is a one piece frame, so barring some very expensive gunsmithing,  you're stuck with whatever profile the gun came with from Armscor, vs. having the ability to swap polymer/aluminum grip modules on the 2011 style handguns.

As for  reliability, RIA/Armscor are a pretty solid value for the money. They generally have solid fit and finish, though not as refined as a Stacatto/SVI/Titan or other boutique 2011 brand.  That's one of the trade offs for the (much) lower price point.

Comparing one head to head with a Prodigy or perhaps a used 2011 of some variety, that really, IMO,  depends on your end goals.

If I planned to compete frequently, I'd grit my teeth and spend the extra $$$ on a 2011 style gun, since there's a very large pre-existing aftermarket ecosystem geared towards the 2011 platform. 

Double stack 1911s are notably less well supported; most (but not all) generally use Para Ordnance magazines, and most (but not all) 1911 parts will interchange, so you can get a good trigger, or a wide safety switch, etc, but there's nowhere near the amount of options and vendors offering them as the 2011.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:55 PM, ZimaConnoisseur said:

Does anyone have any experience with a RIA 2011 vs the Prodigy?  Is it worth the extra ~$600?

The RIA is nice but no, it’s not worth it. Just my opinion

19 hours ago, Jmob50 said:

The RIA is nice but no, it’s not worth it. Just my opinion

As has already been pointed out, the mags are a big issue.  Almost as big is the fact that b/c it is a double-stack 1911, the trigger guard is the same, rounded, as a 1911 and just does not work for the race holsters.

I used to equal success, a DAA Racer X block for a Honcho with my Staccatos as well as the STI block with my Honcho.
That is great to have.  Small note, if you keep the Prodigy grip, there is a knub on the front of the trigger guard that makes it not work with my DAA race holster...so there's that.

But, as for worth...it sure can be.  You are starting about $400 cheaper and with a heaver gun if you go RIA.  That may make a difference in your situation.  Bonus is the RIA would make a great pew to learn how to work on your 19/2011s as the parts are relatively inexpensive.

The RIA hi cap 1911 is very nice gun. I love it. But it does need a lot of work to make it as good as a 2011 with steel grip. It can get to that level, but it is not easy, and not cheap either. So in the end, you may not save much comparing to go with Prodigy + steel grip route. And the Pra style double stack 1911 just doesn't have as many options for parts (talking about Para specific parts such as trigger, extended mag release, mag, mag well, etc. ), surely many other parts share the same standard of 1911/2011, which is good. I'd say it is not worth it to go with RIA, since you may end up change most of the factory parts to something better unless you enjoy doing so. If I would start over with a new build, I would build a 2011 gun.

1 hour ago, Kevrend said:

Is there a preferred ignition kit everyone is using? Staying stock? Also, are we all switching to tool-less guide rods?

I'm staying stock for ignition kit. I set my trigger at about 3 lbs I'm sure it could be lower with stock parts but that's all I wanted. Tool-less guide rod I went with a Atlas. My gun is a 4.25. I did go to a 10 lbs recoil spring and a 19 lbs hammer spring. 

I expect even how I shoot this should last at least a couple years. and even then I bet if something in the ignition parts failed I could probably send it back to Springfield and get it fixed for free. Then run it a few more years. 

Everyone worries about mim, I had one mim hammer fail in the past. It was around 25-30k rounds and it was only the spur that broke off, the gun still functioned fine. I did then change out all the ignition parts on that gun. 

I went with the Brazos Pro trigger group and EGW ballhead disco for the ignition kit. No particular reason. It does cost a little but more than the EGW. Dropped right in and works great. I did polish the disco to smoothen out the slide cycling.

I’m sticking with the 2 piece guide rod. Doesnt bother me at all to need a hex wrench to remove it. It’s not like I’m constantly removing my guide rod. Running a 9 lb recoil on my 5”.

10 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm staying stock for ignition kit. I set my trigger at about 3 lbs I'm sure it could be lower with stock parts but that's all I wanted. Tool-less guide rod I went with a Atlas. My gun is a 4.25. I did go to a 10 lbs recoil spring and a 19 lbs hammer spring. 

I expect even how I shoot this should last at least a couple years. and even then I bet if something in the ignition parts failed I could probably send it back to Springfield and get it fixed for free. Then run it a few more years. 

Everyone worries about mim, I had one mim hammer fail in the past. It was around 25-30k rounds and it was only the spur that broke off, the gun still functioned fine. I did then change out all the ignition parts on that gun. 

My department was issued Sig P229R Enhanced Elites several years ago which had MIM parts and allegedly they were the reason we had an unbelievable amount of failures…so much so that we ended up terminating our contract and suing Sig for it, and jumping ship to Glock. I’m torn. Without real evidence that it was those parts, I’m not confident, but someone clearly was.