Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield prodigy-a short-term review

RJH

I wandered into my local gun store yesterday and they had a prodigy for about a hundred bucks less than MSRP, so I decided what the heck I would give it a try. I bought it knowing that there's been some reliability issues with some of the guns, and I figured if I had to send it to Springfield to get it working it wouldn't be too much different than guys sending their guns back to staccato, or Atlas, or SV to get the bugs worked out LOL.

So here's the review:

I bought the four and a quarter model because I tend to not like overly nose heavy guns and I figured it would cycle a little quicker. Add in that in most of the online reviews the 4-in guns have been a little more reliable and it seemed like a win-win. I'm not overly concerned about sight radius because I do plan on this gun eventually having an SRO.

I was really just test firing this morning and put about 120 rounds through the gun. It ran like a top. The only hang up was one that I figured was going to happen, because I was trying to induce it. I took some 125 power factor ammo and barneyed up, and then loaded a full mag of Winchester white box, and shot it loosely weak hand. It jammed on the first round, with that round nosing into the feed ramp. I took that mag back out barney'd up with a Winchester white box that's around 138 power factor, shot weak hand and it worked fine.

So here's the interesting part, the gun likes shorter ammo better than longer ammo. Because my reloads are lead and have a flat nose, they're about 28mm long and will cycle perfectly even if you're guiding the slide down very slowly. The Winchester white box is about 30 mm long and if you don't drop the slide on it it tends to want to try to hang up. (Sorry for the commie measurements, I don't have a mic with me and I knew I'd be a little more precise using millimeters on my Leatherman than inches lol). That said other than the one bobble already mentioned, the Winchester white box worked perfect in actual shooting, as did my 125 power factor reloads.

I used the factory 17 and 20 round mags that came with a gun, and I also bought an extra 20 and 26 rounder, they all ran perfect.

I do think the shorter slide was the good call as the gun seems to snap right back down on target, probably better than any other gun I've ever shot. I didn't really test accuracy other than I was able to hit what I was aiming at, most of my shooting was at steel or a rock laying on the ground LOL. I was able to get a couple on our steel gong which is 24x24 at 192 yards, in a 20 mile an hour crosswind, off hand. It took about 10 shots to get a hit, as I was shooting by myself and wasn't able to see my misses. That was all with the iron sights that came on the gun, which are pretty nice.

The trigger is not great, but not horrible. Judging by my trigger finger I'm thinking it's breaking right around 4 to four and a half pounds and fairly clean. I will get a trigger job done on it.

It came with a plate that I believe will work with my vortex venom, so I'm going to put it on for the time being until the other plates become available and then probably switch it to an SRO. Other than adding a dot, a trigger job, possibly buying some different base pads and followers for some mags to up the round count, and a magwell when they become available, I'm not going to do anything else to the gun. I plan on just shooting the hell out of it and seeing how well it works.

So there is your review, if you got any questions I will try to answer them as best I can. Right now I give the gun two thumbs up, I might change my mind in a few thousand rounds but that'll take me a bit LOL

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do that anyone that is having problems with this gun can do, is send it back to Springfield. They are reaming and polishing the chamber. They are also polishing the ramp. These things are making all the difference in the world in that gun.

16 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

The best thing to do that anyone that is having problems with this gun can do, is send it back to Springfield. They are reaming and polishing the chamber. They are also polishing the ramp. These things are making all the difference in the world in that gun.

If mine wasn't working I would definitely send it back in. I was checking in after putting the hundred or so rounds through it, the Winchester white box actually goes up the ramp real easy now as well

One other quick note, I said I was going to put my vortex venom on the gun for now. It will not fit. The front of the site is round and it keeps it from sitting down into the slide. There are some people putting vortex venoms on there but they are dremeling the front of the sight. Since I know that sight will eventually have to be sent in for warranty I'm not going to void my warranty for a short-term fix

4 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Anyone know how Springfield DS mags run in 2011s?

I went back and bought a couple more mags a few minutes ago and I asked my guy at the gun store. He said they ran in his STI grandmaster.

We put them in a staccato he had on the shelf and they of course fit fine and locked the slide back. The only difference I could really see other than finish was that the feedlips or maybe a 16th of an inch shorter on the staccato. The staccato was new so we did not fire it however 

10 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Anyone know how Springfield DS mags run in 2011s?

I'm running 2 of the 26 rounders in my 2011 build (Cheely frame and grip), works 100%. One has TTI Guts and basepad, both are working great. The Springfield wouldn't fit my spare dawson alu pads though, maybe need to shave down a little width or something, but not a big deal

Just now, Arcrunner said:

I'm running 2 of the 26 rounders in my 2011 build (Cheely frame and grip), works 100%. One has TTI Guts and basepad, both are working great. The Springfield wouldn't fit my spare dawson alu pads though, maybe need to shave down a little width or something, but not a big deal

Does it make 171.25 mm and what capacity you getting?

1 minute ago, RJH said:

Does it make 171.25 mm and what capacity you getting?

yes, it makes 171.25, and I'm getting 29 rounds, but it's tight. my gun can strip the first round, but it's actually a little hard to press the mag release with the 29 rounds all loaded up, so caution.  I ended up putting the regular pads back on because I need to be under 170mm since I shoot IPSC rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a 4.25 yesterday cleaned it up and oiled it up with Lucas oil and hit the range. Put 300 round through today, 100 rounds 115gr Win white box, 50 rounds Rem 124gr, 50 rounds Fed 150gr action pistol, 25 rounds Hornady 124+p XTP, and the rest handloads made up for my Gen 5 17 CO gun. Using the supplied 17 and 20 round mags It ran like a top. I'm with you on the trigger being so so, but for now I'm fine with it, after shooting glocks for so long it will be just fine. As far as mags go and have some more 17 and 20s ordered and for you Staccatto guy a shooting buddy shoots a P and has been running the Springer duramags with TTI base and spring kit and is getting 22+1 with no problems.  

I've only got to shoot mine about 20 more rounds, it worked fine in that little bit of ammo testing. Was hoping to get to shoot it today but the match I was going to canceled.  Maybe in a couple of weeks I will get to do some more "serious" shooting, I just don't have enough ammo for extraneous shooting right now.

I did however get a holster and mag pouch set from comptac and it seems to fit real well. They only have the one for the 5-in gun, but the four fits fine. I might cut it off, but I'm thinking I might buy the 5-in gun in the future anyway so I'll probably just let it be a little bit long for now

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to shoot this gun in a match today. Used 3 different 20 round mags and 2 26 round mags. Ran 100 percent. Still all stock other than taping down the grip safety. Used irons, as i am still waiting on an optic plate for my sro. Just a small match ~150 rounds total. So far really happy with the gun. 

Also after the match a guy was  shooting a steel gripped 2011 open gun and shot a few rounds through my 26 round mag and it worked fine. It was just about 5 rounds though 

10 minutes ago, costeel said:

Is anyone making after market optic plates yet, for other footprints?

Not that I know of. Springfield is supposed to have some shipping for the other footprints they are supporting this month. But I think they were supposed to have some ship in October too so I don't know. I pre-ordered my sro plate from them last month knowing it would be this month at least before they ship them. 

22 minutes ago, floater said:

Also would like to find a mag well and play in A fudgecicle nobody but a few crayon chewers and winder likkers want.

I haven't done it yet with mine, but apparently the Dawson magwell for a stacatto will work. You may have to trim those little ribs on the bottom of the grip off though. The one I've seen pictures with is the more "tactical" magwell with a little nubs cut out so you can strip the mag easy. Also all the factory mags will work with that mag well from what I've seen. I plan on getting one for mine too.

33 minutes ago, RJH said:

I haven't done it yet with mine, but apparently the Dawson magwell for a stacatto will work. You may have to trim those little ribs on the bottom of the grip off though. The one I've seen pictures with is the more "tactical" magwell with a little nubs cut out so you can strip the mag easy. Also all the factory mags will work with that mag well from what I've seen. I plan on getting one for mine too.

Good to know, I've been going down a rabbit hole thinking should I just try to fit a staccato grip and and make a bastard child or wait out the market.

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think I'm going to pick one of these up, probably the 4.25. I don't live in a vary free state, we can't buy them yet. Probably early next year we'll be allowed to own these. 

If they work the bugs out it’s a no brainer. Entry to the 2011 world and not supporting staccato to do it