Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help picking out a 1911 in 45acp for single stack USPSA.

Canman

I have enough large pistol primers to warrant buying a 1911. I am not up to par on 1911’s and would like to have some suggestions on what to look at. I would like to keep it under 2k. I have been looking at the Springfield operator and Bul armory online only can’t find any local to put my hands on. A big plus if I could also use in IDPA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With 1911s there's really little need to see one locally since they're all essentially the same configuration. 

Under 2k I'd definitely get a Dan Wesson PM45.  I'd get a Dawson or Techwell magwell. 

A springfield TRP  is nice too but not DW level.  The Bul trophy looks great too but I haven't seen one. 

My buddies and I have shot Wilson Combats and Dan Wessons. We haven’t seen that many Kimbers in competition and my gunsmith felt it’s because they won’t hold up like other pistols. I personally owned a Dan Wesson and thought the quality was almost as good as some of my custom guns. Hope this helps. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, mwx40x40 said:

Grab A Gun has some Bul Govt models at a good price point , but they all have bull barrels😒

Talk to GP Arms or some of the other dealers. Alternatively, the BUL-made Desert Eagle 1911s (mostly?) have bushing barrels. It does drive me crazy that they don't have a US-only model for USPSA Single Stack that sits somewhere between the Trophy and the standard models... you'd think that would be a no-brainer.

Put me in the Springfield camp. I'd probably buy a ronin, adjustable sites if I felt I need them, trigger job, a little skate tape on the front strap, and a MAGwell and be done

7 hours ago, damon32382 said:

But surprised nobody has mentioned Sig Sauer. Their 1911’s are insanely good for the money.

Only some of them.  The newer ones with the tradition slides are loosey goosey.  The ones with the Sig slides were outstanding.  I haven't handled one in a while, so that may not hold not.  The problem with the Sig slides is they don't fit in most Kydex 1911 holsters.  My Sig Tacops 45 is terrific, but I don't have to holster it.

IMO, if you are willing to spend the money on a MAx, etc., you should go to a Dan Wesson instead.

Edited by zzt

7 hours ago, zzt said:

Only some of them.  

I guess my Sig Scorpion I bought 9 years ago qualifies then. Has zero slop, shoots unbelievably accurate and has one of the best glass breaking flat triggers I’ve handled. My buddy, who is kind of a cheap ass, bought one immediately after shooting mine. 
Dan Wesson is king, but I think you can’t beat Sig for the money unless it’s a BUL Armory

I have owned several DW, TRP's and currently own a Les Baer TRS and a Bul Gov't from GP arms.

The Bul is 95% of the Baer. and well under half the cost. VERY impressed with the Bul. Under 1K and it comes with the right sights and G10 grips and front strap checkering. My trigger was 3lb right out of the box. Runs like a sewing machine with any load I try and its super accurate. 

On 8/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, RJH said:

Put me in the Springfield camp. I'd probably buy a ronin, adjustable sites if I felt I need them, trigger job, a little skate tape on the front strap, and a MAGwell and be done

A man after my own heart. I’m into this about $1200 including 9 mags total and a DAA belt rig. Didn’t want to drop to much on a single stack rig but so far so good. https://imgur.com/a/KXMCgQb

10 hours ago, Canman said:

Thank You for the replys. I think I’m going to get the Bul Government model and go from there. 
Thanks again

As much as I think that’s a good gun for the money it’s not a bushing barrel so you can’t shoot uspsa single stack with it. See my last comment for what I did for an inexpensive SS rig.

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

As much as I think that’s a good gun for the money it’s not a bushing barrel so you can’t shoot uspsa single stack with it. See my last comment for what I did for an inexpensive SS rig.

If that’s true I won’t be getting one but I believe you can get them with a bushing barrel.