Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot

ShootingPilot

20 minutes ago, Notter said:

As a USPSA shooter, I recently switched to a Crossfire red dot and have been pleased with its performance. It offers quality and accuracy, with a durable build and clear red dot for easy target acquisition. The adjustable brightness feature is also useful. It stands out for its affordable price compared to other popular brands. I've recommended it to others who have also been satisfied. If you're in the market for a red dot sight, the Vortex red dots are worth considering.

Sounds like you have a connection to/with them. The Razor has been the most useful Vortex for what competition shooters do but window is sort of small and rarely do you see any at matches. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Notter said:

As a USPSA shooter, I recently switched to a Crossfire red dot and have been pleased with its performance. It offers quality and accuracy, with a durable build and clear red dot for easy target acquisition. The adjustable brightness feature is also useful. It stands out for its affordable price compared to other popular brands. I've recommended it to others who have also been satisfied. If you're in the market for a red dot sight, the Vortex red dots are worth considering.

Not sure what anyone would use the Crossfire for in USPSA? 

30 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Sounds like you have a connection to/with them. The Razor has been the most useful Vortex for what competition shooters do but window is sort of small and rarely do you see any at matches. 

seems there is a rash of bots signing up and their first (probably only) post is just randomly promoting a brand. Have even seen some good ones giving good reviews on like optic cuts and stuff.

I really like my delta point pro, excellent glass quality, good warranty, shake awake, down side is not super robust and low battery life. if I got a vortex I'd get the venom due to the battery being easier to replace. from what I've heard the SRO and the romeo 3 max have the current biggest windows.

11 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Call me a little biased but the FTP Optics Alpha 3 is a fantastic, competition orientated red dot that is a great value and extremely solid performer. We run about 70 % customer loyalty meaning that someone who buys one, usually buys another :) 

This is a great option. I may or may not have five of them and have yet to have an issue. Wish battery life was longer but it’s not a terrible trade off. One of my Sig Romeo3 XL optics just shipped off to be replaced yesterday and another is failing. 

On 2/8/2023 at 6:36 PM, riden said:

Anyone running the Holosun with the 8MOA circle only?

Used that optic when I started CO because it was the only dot I could see clearly with my astigmatism. As I progressed and learned to be more target focused it no longer bothered me and I went to the larger window of the SRO. Still have the Holsun.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sig Romeo 3 Max has been very popular as well as the Trijicon SRO. If my slides were cut differently I'd probably run the Romeo 3 Max or XL, but I've been running the Holosun 508T and have been very happy with that at about half the cost. If money is an issue it's worth a look. If budget isn't a problem the Romeo 3 Max and SRO seem to be the best on the market for competition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am gonna add to the sig camp.  I now have 3 Romeo 3’s. 2 max’s and 1 XL. I like the xl the best frankly. But the deals on the max are hard to turn down. 

also the ease of battery replacement over the old style sigs and even to me the DPP is far superior and improved. 

On 4/4/2023 at 2:22 PM, ColoradoNick said:

SRO here. I don't have any issues turning it off. 

I'm curious why anyone is turning off an SRO? I didn't even know how to turn it off and I have two. My RMR's, Holosuns, SRO's have never once been turned off. 

For my 5moa SRO, I have the original battery and its seen 8k rounds, 1.5yrs of use. I turn it down a few clicks when I hang it up and then turn it up when I shoot. 

To me, the SRO is the best optic there is for pistol. The round window is very intuitive and natural, and the size of the window is nice. I do like to buy US made too, and I have paid less than $500 for both mine new. 

The only big downside to the SRO is the double-dot you get when shooting with sun coming in the front of the lens.

Never turn mine off either.. or the Romeo 3 Max.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:22 PM, ColoradoNick said:

SRO here. I don't have any issues turning it off. 

Buttons do wear out.  Why accelerate that when you can easily get by on one battery/year?  Just change them out once a year.  

1 hour ago, shred said:

The only big downside to the SRO is the double-dot you get when shooting with sun coming in the front of the lens.

The SRO would be the only dot I would use if this was not an issue.

Another vote for SRO 

I like the romeo3 Max as it has a thinner bezel and slightly larger window. But it is dainty and fragile, and typically requires a custom optic cut as its footprint is very long. Basically making your gun a “R3 Max-only” slide. 

Any thoughts on the Holosun SCS? Specifically for the M&P?

I have a DPP on my current CO M&P and have been thinking of getting a backup gun with the SCS because of how low it mounts, but haven’t heard much about it yet. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Buttons do wear out.  Why accelerate that when you can easily get by on one battery/year?  Just change them out once a year.  

The SRO would be the only dot I would use if this was not an issue.

Lifetime warranty right? lol, I have two setups if the need ever arises to send one in. I would let it turn itself off but I've been too lazy to figure out how to do it. I'm pretty sure mine is set in manual mode. I know my wife's DPP was in "shake awake" mode until it wasn't and I ended up having to swap a battery for her at a match because it had been on non-stop for a few months and went dead.

I've been messing around with occluding the dot with tape in the event I end up shooting at a funky angle to the sun. Messing around with it at the range, my accuracy doesn't seem to change either way and it doesn't bother me. I've almost ordered the cover from SBGW but tape works just as well.