Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot

ShootingPilot

I'm a new USPSA Shooter and considering trying the optics class in the future. I shot a Glock 35 and was wondering which Red Dot sight are people finding useful, good quality, etc. I am leaning toward a Vortex sight probably the Viper. What are some opinions?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve gone through a few red dots in the past few years. I’ve found that the Trijicon 5 MOA SRO  is perfect for me. The large glass and dot have helped make me a better CO shooter. The controls are very convenient. The sight is super reliable and none of the 3 I’ve bought have had to be returned for repairs. It is pricey, around $540, but in my opinion, well worth the money. I’ve recommended it to several local shooters and none of them have been disappointed with their sights.  Hope this helps. 

The Viper is a good choice for a “starter” dot particularly with the 34 (although a 17 is better since you won’t need the longer sight radius). My Viper has served me faithfully in two seasons but I’m ready to upgrade. My complaints are the manual on/off. Shake awake is handy. My major beef is there’s no battery drawer so you need to unmount and remount the dot to change the battery. On mine it needed a small wad of electrical tape to get the battery to engage the contacts. But you can’t beat the price. I paid $175 but haven’t seen them that cheap for a while.

So if you’re just dipping your toe, the Viper is a good choice. If you’re already in commitment, I’d check a little higher on the price list.

17 minutes ago, Mike Morcillo said:

New to CO, run Holosun 507c acss, red, 6moa. Has Chevron, like ACOG.

Solar + battery.

Works for me.

Ditto…. That has been my setup this season…. It’s been working really well, the outer ring has certainly helped…

Before the Holosun Acss Vulcan I was running a Deltapoint Pro 7.5 Moa triangle/chevron… I still have it on my X5 Legion… I feel that I can go between either dot and they feel almost the same.  

I only dabble in carry-ops, so I've been happy with the vortex venom 6 moa. I don't really trust it though and that's why my gun still has suppressor height sights on it. If I was serious about it I'd be looking real hard at an SRO or maybe a hollow sun. But if I have to finish a match one day using my sights because my dot broke and then I mail it in and get a new one, it's not that big of a deal to me as I'm only going to shoot locals and such in carry ops anyway I reckon

3 hours ago, ShootingPilot said:

Looks like the Holosun Vulcan is a solid optic. Any feedback on how well they hold up? Are they as rugged as other choices?

I’ve been using the holosun Vulcan acss for the last year and no problems so far…. Seems as rugged as the other holosuns…. I currently have it mounted currently on my TSO with a fixed frame mount…

Been shooting USPSA CO with Vortex Venom red dots on Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols for over 5 years.  Also started using them on 3 Steel Challenge match guns over 1 year ago.  For a USPSA CO gun or Steel Challenge, they are a great option for the price and the company is rock solid in standing behind all their products.  I have had a couple break over the course of several years and many thousand rounds of ammo.  Regardless of what some folks will try to tell you, all red dots will break at some point if you run them hard and keep them long enough.

I hear folks talking about the hotness of the SRO...I'm just not a fan based on my own experience.  I installed and set one up for a friend on his Walther Q5 SF.  The buttons were hard to operate, hard to push both buttons to turn off.  You really need an aftermarket tool to remove and tighten the battery cover.  The window and dot are not any better than the Vortex Venom and/or not enough improvement to justify the price.  They cost more than 2x what I can buy a Vortex Venom for...almost 3x (last Vortex Venoms I bought were Factory Reconditioned with full lifetime warranty for under $200).  Your mileage may vary...

Edited by ShredderTactical
Clarification.

• 6 months later...

FTP alpha 3 here (8 moa) ran mine on my production optic setup for a while then installed it on my open gun, have prob shy of 8 or 9k rounds with it and it’s still running strong. Great glass size and easy on battery’s (Costco Duracell seem pretty stable in it)

On 6/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, ShredderTactical said:

I hear folks talking about the hotness of the SRO.  hard to push both buttons to turn off.  You really need an aftermarket tool to remove and tighten the battery cover. 

yes, shutting them off sucks.  using a larger-head philips screwdriver makes it pretty easy to get to the battery.

22 hours ago, pharoh said:

FTP alpha 3 here (8 moa) ran mine on my production optic setup for a while then installed it on my open gun, have prob shy of 8 or 9k rounds with it and it’s still running strong. Great glass size and easy on battery’s (Costco Duracell seem pretty stable in it)

I love the buttons on the FTP. So much better than the Sig Max and XL. Such a good optic. I think I have five of them. 

• 1 month later...

If you are only going to have 1 dot, turn around time is a big factor. I have 2 sig romeo 3xls and love the window size. I looked through all the popular dots when I was making my selection. This was almost 2.5 years ago and I am still happy with it. I have had to send a dot off twice and both times got them back within 15 days. Once was cracked glass, I think brass bounced off the indoor range target runner mid cycle at an match and the other was the buttons got too hard to work and it was a pain to turn on.

As a USPSA shooter, I recently switched to a Crossfire red dot and have been pleased with its performance. It offers quality and accuracy, with a durable build and clear red dot for easy target acquisition. The adjustable brightness feature is also useful. It stands out for its affordable price compared to other popular brands. I've recommended it to others who have also been satisfied. If you're in the market for a red dot sight, the Vortex red dots are worth considering.