Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next shooter etiquette.

This last weekend I ventured out of town because there were no local matches. I drove 2 hours to a range I've never shot at. It's a nice range and they had 5 good stages. My complaint is I was in the middle of a 12 person squad and when I was up next to shoot a M PCC shooter that was 2 shooters behind me always had the shooting area at every stage. I never had a private walk through before my turn at the match I'm a B Carry Optics from out of town and he was the local M shooter so obviously after the 3rd stage and me bumping into him I just gave up. I didn't realize how much this throws your game off. 

You don't have to be a dick about it, but you should say something. something like... "hey, I don't mind if you are in the shooting area when it's not your turn, as long as you make a reasonable attempt to stay out of my way"

some people are real dicks about this and lose their mind if you step into the shooting area 30 yards away from them. You don't need to be that guy, but you should be able to get priority when you are on-deck. Good shooters know this. 

Oddly enough, the worst offender I've ever seen here in the west was also a pcc shooter.....

"Excuse me, I think I'm next" or "are you the next shooter?  I thought I was" sometimes works when they are where you want to be.

sometimes in IPSC they get more militant about it.  They will just about carry you bodily off the stage if its not your turn.

You could always go with, "hey mother f***** is your paster gun broken" 

Or something along those lines

Edited by RJH
Cause talk to text screwed me

Just mentioning you are the are shooting next usually gets them off the stage.  People you allow to keep behaving in a certain manner will typically continue that behavior until confronted.  At least that has been my observation.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

especially an M pcc shooter. Pretty much every B class pistol shooter who runs pcc for 3 months makes M.

I debated on adding the shooting a rifle in a pistol match why do you even need that much time to plan part but was being diplomatic

If I'm up, I stop them and tell them the stage belongs to me now, your turn will come.  Also as the RO with the timer most of the time, I pay attention and stop dickwads like that.  Stage etiquette reinforced by the CRO/RO.

You can say something to the RO, regardless of being new to that club or not.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:27 PM, vluc said:

If I'm up, I stop them and tell them the stage belongs to me now, your turn will come.  Also as the RO with the timer most of the time, I pay attention and stop dickwads like that.  Stage etiquette reinforced by the CRO/RO.

You can say something to the RO, regardless of being new to that club or not.

This 1000%

No tolerance for entitled dips#!ts.  I don't care where I am or who he is.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

This last weekend I ventured out of town because there were no local matches. I drove 2 hours to a range I've never shot at. It's a nice range and they had 5 good stages. My complaint is I was in the middle of a 12 person squad and when I was up next to shoot a M PCC shooter that was 2 shooters behind me always had the shooting area at every stage. I never had a private walk through before my turn at the match I'm a B Carry Optics from out of town and he was the local M shooter so obviously after the 3rd stage and me bumping into him I just gave up. I didn't realize how much this throws your game off.

Just be blunt: "You need to get off my stage, it's my walk through now"

People like him need a dose of reality

After noticing this thread again I felt I should clarify that I was half joking with my first post. I say half because the first time it happened I would probably just go, "hey bud I need through here I'm up next," and be fairly polite about it while being direct, the next time however I probably would say something closer to what I posted in the first post. I have more than once told people to get the hell off the stage though with no regrets.

I don't understand the behavior of the OP. If you allow people to walk all over you at a match while saying nothing. Then guess what, you don't get to complain about it after the match. Take some ownership in your match experience. Sometimes that means pointing out bad behavior and setting the proper expectations for people who are abusing the situation. Adulting sucks sometimes but guess what, it still needs to be done. 

I guess I just don't understand the thought process of people who think that it' someone else's responsibility to ensure that bad behavior is policed. The age old adage of "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away" applies to many things in life. Take control of the situation and deal with it yourself. Or continue to "Hope" others will do something about it and continue to have a poor match experience. One of these choices has an outcome you will have control of, the other is a pipe dream. Decide wisely. 

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I don't understand the behavior of the OP. If you allow people to walk all over you at a match while saying nothing. Then guess what, you don't get to complain about it after the match. Take some ownership in your match experience. Sometimes that means pointing out bad behavior and setting the proper expectations for people who are abusing the situation. Adulting sucks sometimes but guess what, it still needs to be done. 

I guess I just don't understand the thought process of people who think that it' someone else's responsibility to ensure that bad behavior is policed. The age old adage of "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away" applies to many things in life. Take control of the situation and deal with it yourself. Or continue to "Hope" others will do something about it and continue to have a poor match experience. One of these choices has an outcome you will have control of, the other is a pipe dream. Decide wisely. 

I told him the first stage that I was up next and the the shooting area should be mine. He agreed. Then he did it the next stage and I didn't say anything but firmly bumped him because I was doing my walk through and didn't really notice him (second request). Third stage guess what... there he is again, so now do I become the a_-hole? 

57 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

I told him the first stage that I was up next and the the shooting area should be mine. He agreed. Then he did it the next stage and I didn't say anything but firmly bumped him because I was doing my walk through and didn't really notice him (second request). Third stage guess what... there he is again, so now do I become the a_-hole? 

Should have been an A Hole after 2nd time. You can always bring it to the RO's attention as well. Afterall, the guy should have been resetting the stage.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, ohsevenflhx said:

His name wasn't Mark Weaver was it ?

14 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

Absolutley, and as said by others, should have done it first time. Hell, I throw the following squad off the stage if the encroach while we are still shooting....