Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

2 hours ago, TroyNolan said:

Sir . I did not remove the barrel . As you stated I removed JP hand guard . Installed Smoke hand guard . Returned after firing with barrel clocking past 12 o’clock position . After removing barrel, cleaning threads I realized it was possible to tighten barrel past the 12 o’clock position . I am looking for collar shims .001 .990 OD .807 ID . Any help would be appreciated .

Is yours the steel challenge version?  That doesn't sound like what I remember under my normal version when I replaced the handguard.  I made no effort to remove/rotate the barrel, and it was straight forward so I didn't spend much time poking around.  The barrel was roll pinned to a collar that goes in the receiver(maybe that's threaded I don't know).  The only thing I had to do was shorten the roll pin to clear the new barrel nut, and torque it down.  I only went to 40 so maybe 60 is too much?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started PCC with a blowback Glock mag AR9. Did all the obligatory stuff like Taccom buffer, comp, carrier weight and springs. Got it pretty soft but still more bounce than I liked, but it worked. Didn't really feel like it was holding me back. I had entertained an MPX, but just too much baggage between generations and such I was hesitant. Then the JP5 was announced and were unobtainium for a while and fell off my radar. Then about two months ago, got an email from one of my vendors they had one in stock.......only one! I couldn't log on and break out my credit card fast enough.

First shots down range were........wow. I shot my blowback 9 first then immediately switched to the JP5. Let my son do the same. The smile on his face must have been similar to mine. Was shooting my standard 124gr load at 1050fps.

As is my habit (bad or good) I immediately added a Magwell, changed furniture, and got rid of the awful mkIII hand guard and installed the JP MLock handguard. Total weight as pictured is 6lb-14oz. Worth every penny to me.

IMG_4518.thumb.jpeg.ed867fab9702db017f354995b5dbf930.jpeg

12 hours ago, mpeltier said:

I started PCC with a blowback Glock mag AR9. Did all the obligatory stuff like Taccom buffer, comp, carrier weight and springs. Got it pretty soft but still more bounce than I liked, but it worked. Didn't really feel like it was holding me back. I had entertained an MPX, but just too much baggage between generations and such I was hesitant. Then the JP5 was announced and were unobtainium for a while and fell off my radar. Then about two months ago, got an email from one of my vendors they had one in stock.......only one! I couldn't log on and break out my credit card fast enough.

First shots down range were........wow. I shot my blowback 9 first then immediately switched to the JP5. Let my son do the same. The smile on his face must have been similar to mine. Was shooting my standard 124gr load at 1050fps.

As is my habit (bad or good) I immediately added a Magwell, changed furniture, and got rid of the awful mkIII hand guard and installed the JP MLock handguard. Total weight as pictured is 6lb-14oz. Worth every penny to me.

IMG_4518.thumb.jpeg.ed867fab9702db017f354995b5dbf930.jpeg

looks nice. do you like the vertical comp?

I really don't have an opinion one way or the other for the vertical comp. It looks cool, and in typical JP fashion is blended seamlessly with the barrel. I don't really feel they do a lot on a 9mm. The way the dot moves is best described as a bit of wiggle. It doesn't do the climb, dip or bounce like other guns. on 6" plates on my star at 15yds the dot doesn't come close to leaving the plate. I think that's more of a testament to how light the bolt is.

I have heard others who claim the dot dips with their JP5. I have not noticed that effect. I think how one grips the gun has more to do with it than the muzzle device does, with a PCC.

1 hour ago, eerw said:

Match this weekend. Running the 70* block, the syntech 150, got a couple instances where bolt wasnt cycling enough to extract and feed,

switched over to some 124FMJ SuperVel and 130 Syntech, no issues.

Not surprised as JP mentioned this on their locking block page about syntech 150

So can someone educate me on *blocks? Mine came with a 80 from JP, works fine with the 115g M882 ammo I'm currently using, but my question should I look at going with a 90 to 100* block since M882 is a bit hotter then normal 9mm?

9 minutes ago, DocMedic said:

So can someone educate me on *blocks? Mine came with a 80 from JP, works fine with the 115g M882 ammo I'm currently using, but my question should I look at going with a 90 to 100* block since M882 is a bit hotter then normal 9mm?

Lower the degree 70-60-50, means more lock up (for hotter loads). higher degrees 90-100-110+ are for less lock up (lighter loads)

11 minutes ago, DocMedic said:

Not necessary. If you find you want less recoil go with a 70* but the 80 ran HST's just fine for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Found one.

p.jpeg

Not working:

Error (410)
Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified. Check out our Status Page to see if there is a known incident, our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

8 hours ago, lcambre said:

Not working:

Error (410)
Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified. Check out our Status Page to see if there is a known incident, our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

smaller.jpg

17 hours ago, OldRunner said:

As a lefty w/ a JP5 due in before 12/31/22 talk about advantages to the side chargers & any guesstimates on when that option will be available from JP?

I asked about dual chargers in an email in July, they said they were at least a couple of months out back then. This week, I was told they were still a few weeks away from opening custom builds. 

19 hours ago, OldRunner said:

As a lefty w/ a JP5 due in before 12/31/22 talk about advantages to the side chargers & any guesstimates on when that option will be available from JP?

I would assume as soon as custom orders are available. They said it will be announced in the JP Bulletin.